+ Reply to Thread

Thread: music snobs

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Default music snobs

i have really been getting into nine inch nails lately, like a serious trip on them. between listening to year zero and youtubing random songs, ive pretty much only been listening to songs done by or directly relating to trent reznor. admittedly im a little late to the nin bus, but i really enjoy them. so today i went to the music shop to order in with teeth and the fragile.

and got abused as a poser by the assisstant... apparently if you didnt love nine inch nails from the get-go, you arent a real fan. anyone had trouble with music snobbery before?

Default Re: music snobs

That's kinda weird. I'm in the same position as you. I just started to really get into NIN like, this month. Did you know there was a NIN X Bauhaus CD? It's called Where Darkness Doubles Where Light Pours, I think from 2007.

And as far as music snobs...I'm probably an easy target for them. I was just listening to Backstreet Boys and Brintey Spears after listening to Assemblage 23 and VNV Nation. God, I'm such a possor.

Tinman's Avatar Senior Member

Maybe u shoulda introduced him to some real NIN lol
    i listern to so much different music that i often come across bands after most, ive only just started listerning to apocalyptica thanks to willow, cheers again, most music store assistants ive met are usually keen to chat music and usually say better late than never to get some taste lol.

It's not a NIN/ Bauhaus album...it's just Peter Murphy and NIN. They did a short little stint last year, recorded a few songs and played a handful of shows, one here in ATL. There's a video of backstage/hotel room of them doing a song somewhere on the net. It's a fun watch.

As for the rest of music snobbery, When I went to buy Skinny Puppy's "Aint It Dead Yet" live album back in 1998 the guy told me "You know this is a live album and the sound quality is shit right?"

Answer: " I already owned this album, but it broke..I'm perfectly happy with the sound quality because it IS a live album..and it's a well done one at that..enjoy your day job as a cashier, as i'm sure your next venture is "Would you like to super that for just .69 cents more? (mind you it's 1998 and there's price influxuation) hehe..

Just tell em to fuck off..nobody can tell you what to like, when to like it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    When I went to buy Skinny Puppy's "Aint It Dead Yet" live album back in 1998 the guy told me "You know this is a live album and the sound quality is shit right?"
    Wow. =/

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    It's not a NIN/ Bauhaus album...it's just Peter Murphy and NIN. They did a short little stint last year, recorded a few songs and played a handful of shows, one here in ATL. There's a video of backstage/hotel room of them doing a song somewhere on the net. It's a fun watch.
    That's right, sorry. Did you get to go to it in ATL?

I'm off to to look for that video.

No, I didnt go to it. It was sold out and our local radio station held a contest that only 20/25 people won and got a fan show for it. Which is where the video originates from.
    Heres one of the videos.
    The url may be edited out now (Dunno why for now?) but its the space.
    http://vids.*******.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=1827334

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

most people who work in record stores blow. they have to put other people down to make themselves feel better about the fact that they are going on 40 still working at a record store, and (surprise!) still making minimum wage. It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with thier insecurities.

just my two cents. seriously, If record store people had ever said some of the things posted here to me I would have something to say right back. but then again I really don't pull any punches either.

Lucky bastards. Thank you for the link. I think Warm Leatherette is my favourite of the collaborations.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    most people who work in record stores blow. they have to put other people down to make themselves feel better about the fact that they are going on 40 still working at a record store, and (surprise!) still making minimum wage. It has nothing to do with snobbery and everything to do with thier insecurities.

just my two cents. seriously, If record store people had ever said some of the things posted here to me I would have something to say right back. but then again I really don't pull any punches either.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I just tell people like that to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    i have really been getting into nine inch nails lately, like a serious trip on them. between listening to year zero and youtubing random songs, ive pretty much only been listening to songs done by or directly relating to trent reznor. admittedly im a little late to the nin bus, but i really enjoy them. so today i went to the music shop to order in with teeth and the fragile.

and got abused as a poser by the assisstant... apparently if you didnt love nine inch nails from the get-go, you arent a real fan. anyone had trouble with music snobbery before?
    Better late thank never....HOP ABOARD!!!

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

yeah, i have to admit. until my mate bought year zero i had never actually heard them.

and for the record i go to the music store in question fairly regularly, and my step-bro works there. its usually not bad. just this one cockbite decided to share his opinion and shit me.

motormenace's Avatar Senior Member

I didn't think Nine Inch Nails made any music after The Downward Spiral.....Oh!, I meant good music!!!

And it's funny when you buy a cd and the person at the register says "Who the hell is that?". It's happend a couple of time when buying Apoptygma Berzerk and And One.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    yeah, i have to admit. until my mate bought year zero i had never actually heard them.

and for the record i go to the music store in question fairly regularly, and my step-bro works there. its usually not bad. just this one cockbite decided to share his opinion and shit me.
    It's a shame when people do that. Personally, I love to introduce people to new (or new to them) bands. I enjoy hearing about ones I don't know about as well. I don't understand that attitude. I help out with a meetup group here. I often have to assure new people that we don't do that silly shit. It is insidious.

OEC

the_darkness_calls's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by motormenace
    I didn't think Nine Inch Nails made any music after The Downward Spiral.....Oh!, I meant good music!!!

And it's funny when you buy a cd and the person at the register says "Who the hell is that?". It's happend a couple of time when buying Apoptygma Berzerk and And One.

Heh, I get that a lot too, especially with a lot of the semi-obscure psychobilly I listen to. Oh, and I was looking for an (agree) button then forgot there aren't any here... but agree (10,000) with the NIN thing- I hate to say it but Trent was way better when he was on the drugs.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I was listening to NIN back before they were nine inch nails, when it was crosby, stills, nash and reznor.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I was listening to NIN back before they were nine inch nails, when it was crosby, stills, nash and reznor.
    Correct me if I'm wrong....but I thought it was the Mama and the Reznors?

motormenace's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by the_darkness_calls
    Heh, I get that a lot too, especially with a lot of the semi-obscure psychobilly I listen to. Oh, and I was looking for an (agree) button then forgot there aren't any here... but agree (10,000) with the NIN thing- I hate to say it but Trent was way better when he was on the drugs.
    I have the same problem with psychbilly too.....probably worse! I've gotten to the point of ordering all my music on the internet.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

perhaps Peter, Paul and Trent?

+ Reply to Thread