+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Following links off here can be depressing

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Following links off here can be depressing

A long time ago, back in the 80s, I was into that whole Sisters of Mercy deathrock scene. In fact, being a lanky youth, long and skinny worked just fine.

But after some physical labor, some serious weight training and age, I am no longer able to find anything.

Last time I was in Seattle I saw some Shrine stuff, tried it on, and I couldn't get my ARM into XXL. I'm not Arnold Schwarzenegger either, my arms are only seventeen inches around or so.

I'm a red ass hair away from ranting about how stores simply have fuck all for men to wear.

Thrift stores? Every time I've been with a girl she's come out with armloads of wearable stuff, whereas I never bother looking cause I don't fit into, or want, a Chip and Pepper shirt (size XXS) faded and holey beyond recognition, or corduroy pants with visible stains in size 26.

Go into any dept. Store. Men's wear is twenty racks of the same thing, whereas the women's wear is five times the size.

Ah well. Thank FUCK I'm a biker. sleeveless T-shirt and jeans it is I guess.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Following links off here can be depressing

The problem is that Hot Topic (with the assistance of Experian's data mining via Thirsty) put almost all of the mom and pop punk rock stores out of business. Hot Topic treats this all like it is supposed to be a youth phase and strongly encourages manufacturers to only make sizes for young teens.

So, when you try to put a man's body or a woman's body into the clothing which is supposedly catering to us, it doesn't work out particularly fantastically most of the time.

When dressed to go out these days, odds are good my black clothing is Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Michael Kors, or Betsey Johnson.

During the day, I tend to stick to the basics of oversized free T-shirts advertising various bands, adult businesses, and internet companies.

I deeply wish there were more lines which directly cater to grown-ups who have not lost their groove.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I wear Shrine XL. Love my Versailles Coat! I think I mentioned the comments I received locally. It is true a lot of "alt" companies cater to smaller sizes. My suggestion would be http://www.kambriel.com . She will basically tailor to any specs + she's extremely talented.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I would suggest possibly getting someone to make clothes for you. They would fit then, as long as they get the measurements right. The pictures below are myself and my wife (respectively) wearing clothes that one of our friends made.

Please excuse my messy hair!

Clicking on the pictures will open her site.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I dress pretty normal(to me, anyway) these days. people can think whatever they want; i don't give three fucks.
    I'm old and I don't look it. i'm not going down with out a fight. hot topic is lame because they made a great subculture totally generic. I'm really hung over and posting for the hell of it. sorrry man.

We wear "normal"-ish clothes for work, though I wear combats/cargo pants, DM boots and whatever t-shirt is handy. Wife wears whatever fits.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I dress pretty normal(to me, anyway) these days. people can think whatever they want; i don't give three fucks.
    I'm old and I don't look it. i'm not going down with out a fight. hot topic is lame because they made a great subculture totally generic. I'm really hung over and posting for the hell of it. sorrry man.
    Nah they aren't that powerful. Only thing I hate about HT shoppers: You can't even steal their shitty boots. ugh!

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I would suggest possibly getting someone to make clothes for you. They would fit then, as long as they get the measurements right. The pictures below are myself and my wife (respectively) wearing clothes that one of our friends made.
    Cool threads. You have to realize though: These be Americans. Foreign goods cost more than our subprime mortgages at this point.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

go to a tailor, some of them can make more than those suit things

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

I hate shopping for clothes over here. They never have my size and I always end up going to the Big and Tall store, and the Japanese version of those store always suck. My friends who are women have it worse, nothing over here fits them except maybe stuff from the GAP. Forget about buying shoes, Japanese have the smallest feet, most of my friends usually order shoes off the net.

I odered a Free Lithium Picnic t-shirt, but I was thinking in Japanese sizes so I ordered a XXXL, when i got it it was huge. I forgot I was ordering from a place that would be in American sizes. I usually buy XXL shirts here, they fit a little big which I like. I'm not a big guy. I also hate having to wear the press ID the Japanese wear. It's usually a plastic armband that goes around your bicep, I usually can't close both clasps. I gotta learn to make my own clothes, great idea!

badkittyamy's Avatar Crazy Art Kitten

omg black spiral you avatar really IS you, amazing!

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I agree with you voltaire who give damn what other think...
    the army surplus is normally where I shop. Just because like the look and feel of duty clothing. Blackhawk, or US Cav.com has what i like and need. There are times, Ill happen to be in mail and see hot topic... go in find a cool t-shirt or something that suits me... come to find out. its to small.
    I am Large guy, XL is pushing it at best XXL is just right.. Seem to me Hot topic XXL is Xl... its sucks...

So yeah.. Black Spiral Dancer i am already there, I know friend that is making these fun but cutting t-shirts...Just wait a site or place for this culture all sizes where me, Spiral and Biker can find what the hell we are looking for...

Until my recent weight gain, I had the hardest time finding clothing to fit me. ESP in the 90's!!! When the MOM jeans were still in production!!! Here I was, 5' 6" with a 32 inch inseam. Looking for long enough SIZE 1's!!

As you can see from the pic below....I'm on the long legged side...
    I have a pretty easy time finding clothing to fit now. (ya cant see it, but I'm wearing a Pink Floyd T-Shirt)

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I would say vintage is always best. I have a priest coat for example from 1933 that I've moded just a little. Also shop ebay. Any place where you can bid on everything from used kidneys to old breast implants is gold.

I like that post ASD!
    Ebay, Gotta love it.

Do you have a pic of the priest coat? I'm interested to see the modifications.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Rant away, Voltaire. It's that kinda thread.

And no, you are not old.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by rikosaka
    I hate shopping for clothes over here. They never have my size and I always end up going to the Big and Tall store, and the Japanese version of those store always suck. My friends who are women have it worse, nothing over here fits them except maybe stuff from the GAP. Forget about buying shoes, Japanese have the smallest feet, most of my friends usually order shoes off the net.

I odered a Free Lithium Picnic t-shirt, but I was thinking in Japanese sizes so I ordered a XXXL, when i got it it was huge. I forgot I was ordering from a place that would be in American sizes. I usually buy XXL shirts here, they fit a little big which I like. I'm not a big guy. I also hate having to wear the press ID the Japanese wear. It's usually a plastic armband that goes around your bicep, I usually can't close both clasps. I gotta learn to make my own clothes, great idea!

Gotta convince them the 50's press pass ticket stuck in a fedora is the new trend

My big problem is finding stretch-fit, skin-tight jeans to go out in that aren't hipsters (that you see all the EMOs wearing. I don't like showing people the make of my underwear)

Phaze used to do brilliant ones, but they are catering more for the Emo market now, rather than the Goth. Most other makes of jeans that are marked "stretch/skin-tight" tend to be only tight in the one place where a man does not want his pants to be "too tight"...

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

Doc's and dickies fo me, oh I also like to wear long legs! >: )

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i have it pretty easy really. my particular fashion style tends to be cheap jeans and whatever cheapish shirt i like enough to actually get my wallet crowbar out. the most expensive shirt ive ever bought was a black starscream shirt for $20.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

so does anyone know a good online store to buy a decent pair of plate boots?

+ Reply to Thread