+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A report now in the Public domain made me titter

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

Default A report now in the Public domain made me titter

http://www.smh.com.au/news/unusual-t...839505574.html

how terribly British. I approve! *dons smoking jacket and pith helmet*

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default Re: A report now in the Public domain made me titter

England without tea would cease to function in the same way California would cease to function without wheatgerm crackers, or Arkansas would cease to function without John Deere injector pump manifolds.

Luckily since that report was written, the enterprising scientists in the Ministry for Vague Concern have solved the problem. By inventing global warming, the English will soon be able to grow tea in their own country.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

A tealess england? NEVER

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    By inventing global warming, the English will soon be able to grow tea in their own country.
    I'll be living high on the hog in greenland when that happens.

okay, just come of an airsoft weekend where i forgot to bring even one veriety of tea with measide from instant in a ration pack....

i barely made it back, had to make do with beer.

i now know how the yank on our team feels like when he is away from coffee for an hour

coffee sux. i like tea much better. what kind of tea do you like? I like mostly oolong, ceylon, and green teas....

red bush, earl grey, ginger, lady grey, Assam, Darjeeling....

one Assam to two Darjeeling of loose leaf i find particularly good.

I probably drink to much tea, and i am very fussy, i have my own way of preparation that very few people get right (let alone the philistines who put the milk in to early or before the tea is added)

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Lapsang Souchong for the epic win.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    red bush, earl grey, ginger, lady grey, Assam, Darjeeling....

one Assam to two Darjeeling of loose leaf i find particularly good.

I probably drink to much tea, and i am very fussy, i have my own way of preparation that very few people get right (let alone the philistines who put the milk in to early or before the tea is added)
    I'm fussy about my tea as well. shit, i'm fussy about lots of things. I don't think fussy is bad.fussy people at least know what they like and are not wishy-washy, or mediocre. one of the tthings that comes out of my mouth alot is the phrase"i'm not picky", when in fact, I am actually exteremely selective. i should probably stop saying that so much, lol.

selective is the word i tend to use.

as for fussy, i only tend to be about stuff i am passionate for, be it tea, my tools, etc. otherwise "it does the job" gets slapped about

It's strange - American tea-drinkers all take it to heart and enthuse over the fancy-schmancy varieties, but for the English (and Welsh), tea is just 'tea'. It's brown, it comes from a bag, and goes into a cheap mug along with as much milk and sugar as will fit. If you're working construction, you're also required to add a sprinkling of brick dust for frissance. In Scotland, tea has to be fried in batter before anyone will risk going near it.

Mention Oolong outside London and everyone would just assume you were speaking Urdu. North of Birmingham, asking for 'iced tea' carries a three year minimum term.

Of course the old jokes are still the best jokes:-

"How do Americans like their tea?"

"Salty"

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I got hook on tea, when i was on vacation in europe.. I do not drink coffee, just tea in mornings... Cold or Hot i love me some tea...

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    selective is the word i tend to use.

as for fussy, i only tend to be about stuff i am passionate for, be it tea, my tools, etc. otherwise "it does the job" gets slapped about
    here's to being "selective", lol..... god, I'm fucking retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    It's strange - American tea-drinkers all take it to heart and enthuse over the fancy-schmancy varieties, but for the English (and Welsh), tea is just 'tea'. It's brown, it comes from a bag, and goes into a cheap mug along with as much milk and sugar as will fit. If you're working construction, you're also required to add a sprinkling of brick dust for frissance. In Scotland, tea has to be fried in batter before anyone will risk going near it.

Mention Oolong outside London and everyone would just assume you were speaking Urdu. North of Birmingham, asking for 'iced tea' carries a three year minimum term.

Of course the old jokes are still the best jokes:-

"How do Americans like their tea?"

"Salty"
    I'm kind of barbaric about my tea. I don't like milk or sugar or anysweetner for that matter. I just like it straight. It's interesting how differently the UK and american's view tea. I hear they still call us "rebels" over there. any truth to this?

no idea. they think the americans drink coffee by the gallon (when i know for a fact its mt dew. that should be listed as a controlled substance, especially when sherbet is poured in it and mixed).

i find each tea needs itsown ritual. plain old teabags (and we get grade 7 usually in our teabags, the yanks must get grade 8 from what i tasted) need milk and sugar, but need brewing. redbush is drank as is, or with demorera cubes if needing a lift. citrus goes well with this also.

earl grey, citrus and wild honey, not the mixed medow stuff (i had the advantage of having a local bee-keeper in the family, the honey was simply divine as it was mostly local stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    ...I hear they still call us "rebels" over there. any truth to this?
    You're called a lot of things, but that isn't one I remember. Oh wait, you said us...

Coffee-drinking is strange on this damp little island, as the Brit's historical perspective on it has been skewed by TV. You'll now see UK-made dramas purportedly set in the 70s or 80s with a filter coffee machine in every office, percing away 24/7 and being drunk black from styrofoam cups. This didn't happen - people in offices here drink instant from a kettle, or instant from a vending machine. Buy someone a filter for their wedding and it goes straight into the attic. It happened on Taxi and NYPD Blue, and it seems the entire country has adopted it as a collective memory.

They still don't take an American seriously if one starts talking about tea though. I'm sure you're utterly sincere in your picky (sorry.. appreciative) choices of blend, but try that in the UK and everyone will assume you're just taking the piss.

"Oh Madam requires some OOOOOOOlong does She? Oh of course Madam does. Would Madam care for some cooooooooocumber sandwiches? Perhaps a small Indian boy to serve? Are We absolutely sure We can't be tempted by a tall, dark, skinny, frothy capalattafrappachocilinio?"

the mtv generation...

my work collegues do think me a little odd anyway before converting my locker into a mini tea emporium. and adopting a cup and saucer rather than a mug

though a thermos mug was used when i used to manage a team as by the time i had a chance to sit down and take a sip my hot cup of tea would be ice cold. in a climate controlled area heat is good, coming from someone who finds 12 degrees centigrade a nice medium temperature and what others would consider to be comfy right at the edge of my comfort zone.

I do agree a lot of people have the wrong idea about our American friends over here, and there's a lot to be learned from them. When i am in America i am never spoken to in that way (perhaps only by people who know me enough to know i do like a bit of banter). it irritates me when my former collegues often said "all americans are dumb", i could pick out equal examples to classify the brits in the same way having served one lady who wanted to return a bag of salt for being to salty...

I think its kewl that you've found something you love and appreciate... in a sense, like an art form.

i know what i like and can be quite the toffy nosed wanker myself at times. i'm far from artistic. my sister got the artistic gene, i got the engineers gene

To me ...art, is following thru something passionately with results to be savored. Maybe you engineer artistically

+ Reply to Thread