+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Belly Fat and Stress

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Belly Fat and Stress

According to Shape Magazine, long term stress leads to more belly fat. Long term stress being I-hate-my-job as opposed to there-was-an-unusual-amount-of-traffic-today. Apparently there are receptors in your body for certain chemicals associated with long term stress and there are a whole lot of them in the abdomenal region. This is supposedly the reason that many people who work out all the time still need lipo to get a flat tummy. Stress expands those receptors in the belly region, making it impossible to get a six pack, even with tons of sit-ups.

I would prefer it if this were not true, but I have a bad feeling it probably is. Opinions?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default Re: Belly Fat and Stress

I'm afraid it is true, honey. I've been living with my personal trainer for going on 5 years now and so I have a pretty good handle on this fitness stuff. However, regular exersize (not just cardio but weight lifting too) Is supposed to help reduce stress levels in the body which in turn reduces chortisol levels allowing your body to burn fat at a rapid pace. Most people who work out regularly and still get lipo, are lazy, or aren't working out as regularly as three times a week, or maybe they just arent doing the right exersise combinations. If you stagnate your work out routine, your body stagnates it's reaction to the impact. But yes, stress does play a major part in stubborn belly and butt fat.
    K

I need belly fat...anyone care to be a donor?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedingaway
    I need belly fat...anyone care to be a donor?
    How much you need?
    K

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I'm afraid it is true, honey. I've been living with my personal trainer for going on 5 years now and so I have a pretty good handle on this fitness stuff. However, regular exersize (not just cardio but weight lifting too) Is supposed to help reduce stress levels in the body which in turn reduces chortisol levels allowing your body to burn fat at a rapid pace. Most people who work out regularly and still get lipo, are lazy, or aren't working out as regularly as three times a week, or maybe they just arent doing the right exersise combinations. If you stagnate your work out routine, your body stagnates it's reaction to the impact. But yes, stress does play a major part in stubborn belly and butt fat.
    K

According to Shape (which may or may not be the most accurate scientific source) even very regular excersize won't do the trick if stress levels are high enough. I guess high enough would be sufficient that regular workouts would not totally remove it.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

what about extreme workouts like bear wrestling or being chased by your neighbors pit bull

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    what about extreme workouts like bear wrestling or being chased by your neighbors pit bull
    Probably the workout and the stress cancel each other out. Burn calories and build muscle, but do not do anything in the waist area.

KilLAtomiK - I have no idea about pit bulls and bears, though something tells me you should stay inside.

Amelia - I would go so far as to say that a collection of pages bent on selling you somehting might not be the most accurate source of information. I, myself, have problems getting rid of those last few inches, but then I'm entirely too lazy and kind of home bound.
    K

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Can eating too much create belly fat, wait, what if the two were combined....do i even want to know the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    Can eating too much create belly fat, wait, what if the two were combined....do i even want to know the answer...

Eating too much can make every kind of fat. Stress apparently only makes some. Unless of course you eat when stressed.

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

i do'nt eat when i'm stressed. i still gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna
    i do'nt eat when i'm stressed. i still gain.

Probably the phenomenon Shape was talking about.

When you don't eat regularly, you're body get what's often called a "famine" mentality. Your body starts storing what you do eat against the eveuntuality that you won't eat again for some time. Hence the gaining while eating very little. Alot of anorexic models and all are actually incredibly obese as they are mostly body fat. Their bodies, desperate for nutrition, stop consuming the fat and start digesting muscle tissue. Proper diet and exersise are, naturally, a must for a healthy body. Best diet advice for any one is: everything in moderation. And try walking farther than the trip between the front door and the car a few times a week. Walking for 20 minutes, around the block or on a tread mill will help clear your mind and start the process of fat burning. I hate sounding like a freaking magazine article but my vocabulry skills are at a minimum right now. I'm rebuilding my website. Talk about your stress.
    K

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I dunno I can say though I might have to agree with shape, I have lived out west twice, got away from home and had to make it on my own make new friends....and get away from the hell back home the Stress!!!! and both times I lost over 20 -30 pounds just working and living life and feeling good about life, I work out regularly, ever day I lift weights or go for a job and of course I go for a skateboard session whenever possible, but returning to my home town I gained waieght and am so stressed it's not funny I have upped my workout intesity to that comparible to a professional athelet and I have not lost an inch, whihc of course stresses me out more....it's a vicous cycle and I hate it it makes deep depressio I already have worse....best thing for me would to move away and be on my own.....

as much as u can give

Mother Superior

I just wanted to add this. I go to a nutritionist and I asked her how many calories you could eat without your body holding on to the fat because it feels it won't eat again. She told me you could eat 600-800 calories a day and lose weight still and quite rapidly, that the body would not go into that mode of storing.It's not easy being that strict, but it comes off fast. Plus, this heavier you are, the faster it comes off, I know all about this...

This would explain so much.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Stress can kill you - and you'll sure as shit lose weight then!

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

yeah just about everything i was going to say was already summed up by keiko.

a really great book that you can get cheap in about any gnc is call nutrient timing it talks about planning your eating schedule through out the day to keep insulin and cortisol levels in check and working for you instead of against you as well as keeping energy up and cravings down it is very easy to read and very simple to implement

some more about cortisol: stress as well as lack of sleep bump up levels of cortisol in the body and cortisol is responsible for breaking down proteins to be used by lowering the lack of muscle you have your metabolism goes down and although you are eating the same amount of food you are not burning it off as quickly. it also effects how insulin reacts in the body causing you to store more fat instead of building more muscle.

SUSIEQ502's Avatar Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just push the little pockets of fat to a different part of our body? I'd get my stomach and tell it "okay, just about 12" up now..."

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    According to Shape Magazine, long term stress leads to more belly fat. Long term stress being I-hate-my-job as opposed to there-was-an-unusual-amount-of-traffic-today. Apparently there are receptors in your body for certain chemicals associated with long term stress and there are a whole lot of them in the abdomenal region. This is supposedly the reason that many people who work out all the time still need lipo to get a flat tummy. Stress expands those receptors in the belly region, making it impossible to get a six pack, even with tons of sit-ups.

I would prefer it if this were not true, but I have a bad feeling it probably is. Opinions?
    Fucking stress... no wonder I got a gut

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

Quote Originally Posted by Gothickitty
    Fucking stress... no wonder I got a gut
    what gut

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Vempyrik
    what gut
    Shall I post a pic and show you..... J/K

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

Quote Originally Posted by Gothickitty
    Shall I post a pic and show you..... J/K
    yes...

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

*whew* that was ... '04. Jeeze. There's so much that has changed since then, and so much that hasn't.

~K

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

no wonder i'm "still fat" when i'm hella fucken skinny ...i am stressed, and i have been stressed most of my after 20 years old lifetime

+ Reply to Thread