+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geography and Mood

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Geography and Mood

To what extent does your city of residence affect your moods and happiness overall? It really varies for me. I'm a solitary soul in many ways. At the same time, I just feel more at home in different cities at different times.

Do you consider geography a real factor to maintaining a semblance of happiness and/or purpose?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Geography and Mood

absolutely

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I need to be near water, but away from pretentious assholes and inbred hicks.

The PNW works for me, mi amigo.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Both how geography shapes my mood and other people's. I know I tend to have overly empathic responses to the moods of those around me. Means I can extra-enjoy a concert and extra-loathe a riot.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    ...Means I can extra-enjoy a concert and extra-loathe a riot.
    You need to hang with venue security and anarchists more - it'll even your empathy out.

I think it works the other way - you notice aspects of where you are based on your moods. You can be depressed in the Hamptons, or happy in Detroit - if you're in the frame of mind to notice the crap on every shoe, you'll notice it no matter where you are. I've been based in so many places all I notice is a change in the weather and the language on the breakfast menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    You need to hang with venue security and anarchists more - it'll even your empathy out.

I think it works the other way - you notice aspects of where you are based on your moods. You can be depressed in the Hamptons, or happy in Detroit - if you're in the frame of mind to notice the crap on every shoe, you'll notice it no matter where you are. I've been based in so many places all I notice is a change in the weather and the language on the breakfast menu.

No matter where you go, there you are.

I think that alot of "place" has alot to do with the various aspects of our personal situations we find ourselves in too. I lived in places that I am sure are just fine, but couldn't find a social outlet, and had a hard time there. I am currently reliving in a place where I had a strong social network that's collapsed, but a weak financial situation that's now much better. I can afford to live here now, but my hangin' out, and socializing has been severly curtailed.

eh.

Other than that I tend to like urban environments, and college towns. I do like to get out into the woods on occasion, but find the folks who inhabit them regularly to be irritating on a daily basis. (Just once I'd like to see a movie where the hillbilly cannibal mutant clan of inbreds pick on some of the city slickers I've known all of my life. "That's not a knife. And neither is THIS Glock 9mm loaded with highly illegal Black Talon bullets." :grinning Seriously people have the weirdest ideas about us city folk.)

Like mountians, should live near some some day, am indifferent to the ocean, should give that a whirl for a spell as well. Hate humidity, am indifferent to cold (up to a certain point, and then it just gets old.)

Had a shit time in the desert, but will chock that up to the company I was keeping as mentioned above.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Buster: the PNW is nice.

I love the change of scenery...
    Geographic regions can most definitely effect my moods....

Damn, I miss Florida.
    Boca Raton (east coast) definitely has a different FEEL than Fort Myers (west coast)

I think it is a bit symbiotic. Obviously, if you are just unhappy you will be anywhere. Having reached a basic level of happiness/purpose, I think it can be the icing on the cake. I just can't discount how great I felt being back home last time.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I think that alot of "place" has alot to do with the various aspects of our personal situations we find ourselves in too. I lived in places that I am sure are just fine, but couldn't find a social outlet, and had a hard time there. I am currently reliving in a place where I had a strong social network that's collapsed, but a weak financial situation that's now much better. I can afford to live here now, but my hangin' out, and socializing has been severly curtailed.

eh.

Other than that I tend to like urban environments, and college towns. I do like to get out into the woods on occasion, but find the folks who inhabit them regularly to be irritating on a daily basis. (Just once I'd like to see a movie where the hillbilly cannibal mutant clan of inbreds pick on some of the city slickers I've known all of my life. "That's not a knife. And neither is THIS Glock 9mm loaded with highly illegal Black Talon bullets." :grinning Seriously people have the weirdest ideas about us city folk.)

Like mountians, should live near some some day, am indifferent to the ocean, should give that a whirl for a spell as well. Hate humidity, am indifferent to cold (up to a certain point, and then it just gets old.)

Had a shit time in the desert, but will chock that up to the company I was keeping as mentioned above.
    The desert is the only landscape I've never lived in. Ocean, mountains, rivers, and now lakes. Sea level to steppes to high altitude. Rural to urban. Lakes make for the oddest weather. Nice country though.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat

Do you consider geography a real factor to maintaining a semblance of happiness and/or purpose?
    Definitely!

Yeah, I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Both how geography shapes my mood and other people's. I know I tend to have overly empathic responses to the moods of those around me. Means I can extra-enjoy a concert and extra-loathe a riot.
    A good show just has the right vibe. Protests can be cool. I would avoid riots to the extent possible though. I have no intention of "protesting" the Republican Convention if I'm here in Saint Paul. I think it misses the point. It's going to be a mess. I live a few miles from the venue. Saint Paul is really still a small town. I will be avoiding that area to the extent possible.

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I honestly feel that it depends on how I choose to look at it. human perception is incredibly powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    A good show just has the right vibe. Protests can be cool. I would avoid riots to the extent possible though. I have no intention of "protesting" the Republican Convention if I'm here in Saint Paul. I think it misses the point. It's going to be a mess. I live a few miles from the venue. Saint Paul is really still a small town. I will be avoiding that area to the extent possible.

OEC

One of my grandfathers was a delegate at the convention where they had the hideous brutalizing of protesters by police captured on camera and broadcast to America. My grandmother came back mostly horrified by what awful language those terrible hippies used. (I learned to cuss from my other grandmother.)

Appalling as my grandmother's reaction was, I do think it is kinda wrong to protest the convention, as that comes across more as an objection to the process than a proponent of a certain approach or issue.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I hope to live out my autumn years someplace that doesn't look, or feel like shit.................I find the west coast agrees with me

One of my grandfathers was a delegate at the convention where they had the hideous brutalizing of protesters by police captured on camera and broadcast to America. My grandmother came back mostly horrified by what awful language those terrible hippies used. (I learned to cuss from my other grandmother.)

Appalling as my grandmother's reaction was, I do think it is kinda wrong to protest the convention, as that comes across more as an objection to the process than a proponent of a certain approach or issue.
    Chicago '68? God, I hope it doesn't go down like that. I don't think it will be *that* bad. The possible trainwreck is due mostly to the size of Saint Paul. I just don't understand the fascination at this juncture. Bush will be here. So what? It's a bit late in the game.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread