+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What would you do if you were quarantined?

Default What would you do if you were quarantined?

Quarantine Video

Quarantine opens in theaters everywhere today. Check out this video about this classic style horror flick about the modern day dangers of being trapped between chemical warfare and the CDC. The video features star Jennifer Carpenter, writer/director John Erick Dowdle, writer Drew Dowdle, actor Johnathon Schaech, actor Jay Hernandez, yours truly, and more.

What would you do if you thought you might be in danger of being killed by people infected with a mysterious...
    Read the full article

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: What would you do if you were quarantined?

When I saw the trailer in theatres, I freaked out.

<.<

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hope that they have X-box.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I hear the original Spanish version is scary as shit.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Find the most secure spot I could and hide there until the situation had run it's course.

Find a willing hottie and find the most secure spot we could and fuck there until the situation had run its course.

Throw rocks at whomever is trying to keep me inside.

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

I would do things that were indescribable in church to any opening that was available. I would try to break world records with my own personal midget in my left hand.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

I was on a flight through Hong Kong in early 03, so BTDT. We drank a lot of miniatures. Mostly, I was wondering how shallow you can breathe, and if there was any point in bothering. It's disconcerting when the guy at passport control is wearing a mask and you're not.

MG... I am sure that if we were quarantined together.. shallow breathing would be last thing on our minds. hee heee.. especially if there was a hermaphroditic midget with one arm and 1/2 a leg. See I can get everyone involved..

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    MG... I am sure that if we were quarantined together.. shallow breathing would be last thing on our minds.
    That all depends if you're still singing Elton John songs or not. There's a point where the heroic band of misfits battling imminent disaster start to break apart and beat the shit out of each other, and usually that's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    That all depends if you're still singing Elton John songs or not. There's a point where the heroic band of misfits battling imminent disaster start to break apart and beat the shit out of each other, and usually that's the point.

Ah, see, now we're back to talking about instinct and survival of the fittest. Put us all in a disaster and I'll say the one's that wind up surviving are the one's that throw away the idea of what's right and what's wrong. I think the superego for those people who survive probably got thrown right out the window 1 minute after they realized their life was in total danger. After its all over, to clear their consciense(?-we need spell check on this forum. ), they'll just chalk it up to "I had to do what I had to do". In the end, shed all our layers and we still are just animals trying to survive on a big blue marble.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Ah, see, now we're back to talking about instinct and survival of the fittest. Put us all in a disaster and I'll say the one's that wind up surviving are the one's that throw away the idea of what's right and what's wrong. I think the superego for those people who survive probably got thrown right out the window 1 minute after they realized their life was in total danger. After its all over, to clear their consciense(?-we need spell check on this forum. ), they'll just chalk it up to "I had to do what I had to do". In the end, shed all our layers and we still are just animals trying to survive on a big blue marble.

I disagree. The reason we have superego in the first place is that civilization and tribalism triumph over id and barbarism. Survival of the fittest has created the social compact.

Yeah, but like I said, I'm not saying everyday life, even 2000 years ago. I'm talking in a perfect disaster. Say a tsunami hits. It's you and Forrest. You're holding on to a secure piece of wood and with your other hand you're holding onto Forrest. You start realizing that you can't hold onto the the secure piece of wood AND Forrest. If you let Forrest go, he dies, but you survive. If you hold onto Forrest any longer than you both die. So what do you pick to do? I think the superego would tell you the right thing to do is at all costs try to save your fellow man, even if it will probably mean you die too. Your id, which has no consciense(Sp), says let him go and save yourself. So what do you do? If you say, screw it and take your chances and you both die, that's fine, but if you let go of Forrest than who triumphed? The id or the super ego? I think id is very instinct based, while superego is created as you grow in your enviroment and is very culture-based. I think the natural need for survival is very id-based. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, but like I said, I'm not saying everyday life, even 2000 years ago. I'm talking in a perfect disaster. Say a tsunami hits. It's you and Forrest. You're holding on to a secure piece of wood and with your other hand you're holding onto Forrest. You start realizing that you can't hold onto the the secure piece of wood AND Forrest. If you let Forrest go, he dies, but you survive. If you hold onto Forrest any longer than you both die. So what do you pick to do? I think the superego would tell you the right thing to do is at all costs try to save your fellow man, even if it will probably mean you die too. Your id, which has no consciense(Sp), says let him go and save yourself. So what do you do? If you say, screw it and take your chances and you both die, that's fine, but if you let go of Forrest than who triumphed? The id or the super ego? I think id is very instinct based, while superego is created as you grow in your enviroment and is very culture-based. I think the natural need for survival is very id-based. That's all I'm saying.

I think that, working as a team, Forrest and I figure out a way to make a raft and ride the storm out.

Real life, even in disaster, is almost never a me or the other guy situation. People have great reserves of strength which are untapped, except in a pressure cooker situation like the one you described. Then a mother can lift a car off a child. Because those are the social traits which have been evolutionarily successful.

The social instinct is often at least as strong as the personal instinct, because that ensure the survival of the human species.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I think that, working as a team, Forrest and I figure out a way to make a raft and ride the storm out.
    Fabulous answer!
    That's kind of a fight or flight situation and I don't know you Amelia but I get the impression you're more of a fight type girl
    As for myself, if I were quarantined I'd prolly go a little....CRAZY? Don't mind if I do.

Mystoo,

I think that given a situation like that.. there are much more important things to think about than going crazy.. Like counting the dots on the walls.. seeing how many times you can orgasm before you get done counting the dots.. Things that matter..

Like crawling naked in your own little room.. and then looking everytime you hear a noise.. thinking that it might be the person to let you out.. until you realize that you are alone and there is no music around, yet you have that one song from 80's stuck in your head and you sing it over and over again, till you have made totally new lyrics that make the original song lame in comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Fabulous answer!
    That's kind of a fight or flight situation and I don't know you Amelia but I get the impression you're more of a fight type girl
    As for myself, if I were quarantined I'd prolly go a little....CRAZY? Don't mind if I do.

Yup, you pretty much have me pegged. Definitely a fight person.

When I was little, I didn't really understand when people explained sad versus angry. I finally decided that they were basically the same feeling, differentiated only by whether one feels like there is anything to be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G

Real life, even in disaster, is almost never a me or the other guy situation. People have great reserves of strength which are untapped, except in a pressure cooker situation like the one you described. Then a mother can lift a car off a child. Because those are the social traits which have been evolutionarily successful.

The social instinct is often at least as strong as the personal instinct, because that ensure the survival of the human species.
    My brother asked me one time, "What would be the craziest thing you could see yourself doing to survive after a nuclear holocaust." I answered him by saying, "I'll let you know after it happens."

I think we'd all like to think we know ourselves enough to know what we'd do if truly faced with a situation where death is a great possibilty. Truthfully though, I don't think any of us truly knows ourselves that well.

Fight or flight becomes a whole different thing when death is truly knocking at your door.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

seriously wouldn't know until the time comes.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

If death was knocking at my front door... I'd go out the back.

Blitz's Avatar mydickisinthewhatnow?

if i were quarantined i would just hope that i had brought some kind of snack,definitely peanut butter cups,but i wouldnt share.

My brother asked me one time, "What would be the craziest thing you could see yourself doing to survive after a nuclear holocaust." I answered him by saying, "I'll let you know after it happens."

I think we'd all like to think we know ourselves enough to know what we'd do if truly faced with a situation where death is a great possibilty. Truthfully though, I don't think any of us truly knows ourselves that well.

Fight or flight becomes a whole different thing when death is truly knocking at your door.

That's awesome that you said that.

I agree most people are capable of worse acts than they would conjecture. I just also think that, if people always operated on a putting themselves first basis, the human species would be long extinct.

Then again, I think Stanley Milgram's experiments were wholly ethical because he only showed people their own faces. A corollary of that is that I don't believe I personally would be very motivated to kill someone else with a great explanation such as "the experiment must continue." So maybe I give other people more credit than they deserve and I am destined to be eaten by post-apocalypse cannibals.

But I really do think we are, on the overall, better than that.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

whatever it took to survive

step one: get everyone organized, strength in numbers (and i don't mean in the gang way) it takes organization and skill to survive. humans are generally social animals (maslow etc.) and we need folks around us...

darkamor's Avatar Member
    U.K. (Dover) / O.C.(behind the orange curtain)

I suppose one could head for the roof - barricade the door / window \ whatever access you used to get to the roof - ride it out (frequent trips to edge of building to urinate and or poop fecal matter at the media + police + paramedics - lol) but wait ..... isn't the roof access denied since it would mean getting access outside the building thereby breaking the quarantine barrier? (let me read Lord of the Flies for inspiration and I'll get back to you on this) ....

~(^)~

+ Reply to Thread