+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Off to War

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Off to War

If you get the Discovery/Times channel check out the show/documentary "Off to War", it follows the activation, training, and deployment of a National Guard Unit out of Arkansas.

Normally I try not to buy into anything associated with The New York times...like the L.A. Times, FOX NEWS, CNN, NPR, etc. they have their editorial dictates they follow and choose their sides like militant extremists...may sound a lil harsh but they have their own lil war amoungst themselves so I doubt I hurt their feelings much.

That said this particular program is incredibly well done in terms of content. It leaves out the Mass Media, it leaves out the partisan junk, it leaves out even the Military image media outlets tend to glorify, overly damn, or even simplify.

What you're left with is about as close of a personal and human vision of what's going on over there and what it would be like to BE over there...and trust me when I say this it's unlike ANY war documentary or film made. It's simply a condensed and honest view....from the drama and fear to the anger and boredom...the full spectrum of the sacrifices made, the insanity faced, and the desperation so many go through. All of it done without the tradition of playing up the drama for the camera...it's very much as if you the viewer got up off the couch and fiollowed these people around...AT NO MOMENT does the crew interfere with what is going on or narrate the story they are trying to document.

It really makes a person want the troops to come home but more importantly it cuts through the political mess of it all...and leaves you with about as accurate an image yet presented.

One could argue it's being manipulated in terms of editing and tone but that's gonna happen no matter what one does when dealing with film...but in this case it lets those DIRECTLY involved tell the story..not an outside person with their own spin on it.

If you have the channel...check it out...so far their are Three 1-hour episodes...not sure how many are planned.

More info here: http://times.discovery.com/convergen.../offtowar.html

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: Off to War

That looks interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Off to War

Discovery always seems to do a good job with thier documentaries trying to focus on the story at hand and avoid BS. I'd much rather see a special about the people whose lives matter than any of the assholes on CNN.

+ Reply to Thread