+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nome de Plumes

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Nome de Plumes

Anyone have opinions on getting published under an assumed name? I would think it is reasonable as long as you aren't slandering people. Personally, I don't think the actual identities of most authors is even relevant. I'm thinking more in terms of actual books etc than pontificating online. I don't think my mug should make or break selling stuff I write

OEC

Default Re: Nome de Plumes

Should read libel not slander. I'll leave that for the audiobook.

OEC

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

i publish all of my music under an (obviously) assumed name, if i wrote a book or something it would be the same, i dont see a problem with it as long you arent doing it to libel someone.

LoraLie's Avatar i dont like clothes.

i hate my name so i wouldnt really want to publish anything under my real name.

so i do believe that i agree, nothing wrong with it i suppose. unless of course libel comes into it, of course

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

writers write stuff that's made up all the time, nothing wrong with changeing your name while your at it, me I've always signed my name to everything I wrote, especialy when I told the truth/slander

Quote Originally Posted by LoraLie
    i hate my name so i wouldnt really want to publish anything under my real name.

so i do believe that i agree, nothing wrong with it i suppose. unless of course libel comes into it, of course
    Yeah. I'm looking more at fiction and/or general commentary I have accumulated. Have no interest in publishing inanities of private lives. I just find it silly that even fiction authors' identities are scrutinized.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    writers write stuff that's made up all the time, nothing wrong with changeing your name while your at it, me I've always signed my name to everything I wrote, especialy when I told the truth/slander
    That's wise. As of 1/1/2006, you really have to use your real name in individual circumstances. You can be subject to criminal sanctions. I intend to obey the law. The other exceptions to libel still apply, obviously. Even there, you can run up against expanded tort law. Best to be careful.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    i publish all of my music under an (obviously) assumed name, if i wrote a book or something it would be the same, i dont see a problem with it as long you arent doing it to libel someone.
    Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking.

OEC

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

Years ago I published a few things under a nom de plume but, I don't really see the need for it anymore. I don't publish anything I have doubts about and I don't really care if twenty years from now someone has a problem with something I had out in the past. Fuck em if they do.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

anyways, libels only in the eye of the beholder so it's basicaly relative

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i used to be big into creative fake names. i used then to add an air of mysteriousness to my writings. i have a boring, normal name; i wanted something unique. nowadays, i dont mind when my real name gets attached to something ive had published. however, when its something that appears online, im still leery of using my real name in many places. in that case i still prefer to use the personae of aXa, whom ive been using for about 6 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    i used to be big into creative fake names. i used then to add an air of mysteriousness to my writings. i have a boring, normal name; i wanted something unique. nowadays, i dont mind when my real name gets attached to something ive had published. however, when its something that appears online, im still leery of using my real name in many places. in that case i still prefer to use the personae of aXa, whom ive been using for about 6 years now.
    Agree. I have to publish some things under my real name. I just find it silly to use beyond that. I abide by the privacy laws as they stand as of 1/1/2006.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread