+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "alt-scene"barbie?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default "alt-scene"barbie?

i saw this on the news last night during my insomnia fit. apparently there's a new barbie out called "tattoo barbie" it's real lol. it's good ole barbie in all her ghastly pepto pink glory. (granted i love pink but not that shade)

anyways the big deal about it is she comeswith a thing that looks like a cheap ass hairrdryer and a sheet of removable tattoos in various sizes so you can "ink" her and her clothes or yourself. and that's gotten some parents kinda miffed
    because they feel it's sending a message to kids that tattoos are okay

in all honesty thuogh, i dont get why parents are pissed about barbie getting some ink done on her. i mean, how long have gochapan machine removable tattoos been around? or what aboutt he tattoo teddies where you can draw on em and stuff and even come with stencils? nobody raised an eyebrow about those but when barbie wants a trampstamp its time to draw the line?

what do you think?

and your little dog too

Default Re: "alt-scene"barbie?

Barbie has been tattooed since the 90's. people freaked then too. i guess she is special

http://www.trojanhorseantiques.com/barbie3.htm

Butterfly Art Tattoo Barbie ~ Beautiful tan Barbie is in trouble. Mattel discontinued this doll in 1999 after receiving complaints from parents about her skimpy bikini top and mini skirt revealing a tattoo on her tummy. The box also contains sheets of butterfly decorations (more tattoos!) for kids to put on themselves. Now very collectible and getting hard to find. Mint doll never removed from excellent box with some very minor shelf wear.

Set of (6) Butterfly Art Tattoo Barbie & Friends ~ Mattel discontinued production of these great dolls when parents complained about their tattoos and skimpy clothes. Now very hard to find as a complete set of six! The set includes Barbie, her boyfriend Ken, and their friends Christie, Steven, Kira and Teresa.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Girl gets a couple of tattoos and already they try to kick her out of the dream house.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29508066/

Ditch the doll? Lawmaker out to outlaw Barbie
    West Virginia state delegate says iconic toy overemphasizes beauty to girls

Barbie could get an unwelcome present for her 50th birthday: outlawed in West Virginia.

A state lawmaker proposed a bill Tuesday to ban sales of the iconic Mattel doll and others like her.

The Barbie Ban Bill, proposed by Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge (D) Lincoln County, says such toys influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development...

Xavialune's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Girl gets a couple of tattoos and already they try to kick her out of the dream house.

Ditch the doll? Lawmaker out to outlaw Barbie
    West Virginia state delegate says iconic toy overemphasizes beauty to girls

Barbie could get an unwelcome present for her 50th birthday: outlawed in West Virginia.

A state lawmaker proposed a bill Tuesday to ban sales of the iconic Mattel doll and others like her.

The Barbie Ban Bill, proposed by Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge (D) Lincoln County, says such toys influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development...
    Slightly related, slightly not..this reminds me of the incident I heard about over on Model Mayhem where someone was having a thing about the atrocities of the past...they had a different room for each one..Hitler, Pol Pot..and other struggles like MLK and Malcom X..They put MODELING in there...as in, it gives women unrealistic expectations and all that. But they put it on the level of the Holocaust? Come on.

And making Barbie illegal..I can see why they might say that, but if you instill the right ideals and confidence in your children, theyre less likely to fall victim to things like that. I think making a doll illegal is a bit over the top. And as for tattoos..why are people so uppity about them still? Theyve been around for I dont know, thousand of years?!

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

The problem I have with outlawing things that cause distorted expectations is that I find managing some peoples expectations can be nearly impossible sometimes. You can give them a written agreement, in plain English, read it to them, have them read it back to you, have them sign it, and then a few weeks later they start talking about totally bizarro things that have absolutely nothing to with what is still in plain black and white writing. Barbie is a doll. If your imagination takes her to Mars with your stuffed monkey, it is still pretty unreasonable to grow up with a solid expectation that you are going to follow in her tiny tiny footsteps. Real astronauts don't tend to have anything like the body type chosen for spaceman dolls, and villains don't tend to dress like Destro.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    Barbie has been tattooed since the 90's. people freaked then too. i guess she is special

http://www.trojanhorseantiques.com/barbie3.htm

Butterfly Art Tattoo Barbie ~ Beautiful tan Barbie is in trouble. Mattel discontinued this doll in 1999 after receiving complaints from parents about her skimpy bikini top and mini skirt revealing a tattoo on her tummy. The box also contains sheets of butterfly decorations (more tattoos!) for kids to put on themselves. Now very collectible and getting hard to find. Mint doll never removed from excellent box with some very minor shelf wear.

Set of (6) Butterfly Art Tattoo Barbie & Friends ~ Mattel discontinued production of these great dolls when parents complained about their tattoos and skimpy clothes. Now very hard to find as a complete set of six! The set includes Barbie, her boyfriend Ken, and their friends Christie, Steven, Kira and Teresa.
    wow lol there's also a "wiccan" barbie too that's hard to find. she comes with a cualdron, book of shadows and some goofy outfit. it's nott he halloween barbies it was like 'secret spells" or something like that. i dunno. aside forma few gimmick ones like sponge bob and mickey mouse barbie and ofcourse the bob mackey ones, i dont have much interest in her anymore now that i've grown up oh and the halloween ones too i like those ones.

This shit takes 'Thinking inside the box' to whole new levels of applicability.

People have always been able to draw, paint or paste stickers onto barbies. I've got a bunch of painted and modified ones hanging around my room, myself; but even for the thoroughly uncreative sticker sheets with butterflies like those in the pictures have been lying around kids' rooms for decades. Then suddenly one comes packaged in the box (complete with instructions!), and bam, people start regisering the implications of adding the two together.

+ Reply to Thread