+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sci-fi Survey

Default Sci-fi Survey

Hey all... Not trying to spam anyone, but [INSERT MARKET RESEARCH FOR FICTITIOUS SCHOOL CLASS HERE]

Default Re: Sci-fi Survey

The link was not market research, nor is my class fictitious. I have explained this to site admin. Perhaps a quick personal message to explain board etiquette regarding outside links would have been more appropriate.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I did not see that post, but you have to understand, particularly as an Educational Leadership and Policy Studies student, that the whole "I'm researching for a class" schtick has been used to death by people with far less qualified credentials. We are not lab rats and frankly we've come to the conclusion that there is no community upside to helping people like yourself and the literally countless others before you do their independent research on us or our community. It may not be entirely your fault, you may have no visibility to the number of data mining 'researchers' who have come before you and none have left our world a better place for it. Half the time (at best) it goes into papers we'll never see and the other half is data collection for corporate interests trying to better exploit subculture.

It isn't 100% you, don't take it personally, but at this point, across many of the sites I'm involved in, the standard response to "Hi, I've got a class, let me ask you a lot of questions..." is simply ef-off, why should we give you that?

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack View Post
    It isn't 100% you, don't take it personally, but at this point, across many of the sites I'm involved in, the standard response to "Hi, I've got a class, let me ask you a lot of questions..." is simply ef-off, why should we give you that?
    Thanks for the reply. I totally appreciate your position. And you are right, I should know better - especially having been a site admin and developer in a previous life. Data mining wasn't as prevalent back then. Just for the record, it was one question about the best sci-fi soundtrack.

Since my secret is out, might as well say I just graduated. This summer class makes it official. Now we'll see if I can use my knowledge for good or eeeeevil.....

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Best of all time or just this past year?

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack View Post
    Best of all time or just this past year?
    It was multiple choice... What is the all-time best sci-fi film/soundtrack combo...?

My choices/suggestions were:

Tron (Legacy)
    Matrix Series
    Blade Runner
    Star Wars
    Other (please specify)

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

matrix pops into my mind....others where good but cant call them to mind off the top of my head

+ Reply to Thread