+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If you ever read through LJ thinking how loathsome it is . . .

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default If you ever read through LJ thinking how loathsome it is . . .

Okay, there are a number of reasons I dislike LiveJournal. Great code which has devolved into a system that makes me kind of sick and says things about human nature I would have preferred not to know. My favorite comic strip of the moment is Men in Hats and here is a sample of why:

So, tell me why you (a) loathe Lj or (b) love Men in Hats or (c) what comic strips you are reading now.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Default Re: If you ever read through LJ thinking how loathsome it is . . .

Could explain my I'm in such a kinundrum, don't really care about peoples detailed lives infront of me, but it's nice to vent about life sometimes...I think I like men with hats......and don't do live journal

Hula Hoop Supervisor

That sounds about right...oh yeah the fast food I am most like is a Taco.

ANJ134's Avatar Junior Member

i like lj for the fact it allows me to hear from old friends and stay in touch with people as i work nights and time is of the esscence.
    i dislike the fact it is slightly perverse. I have had people misuse my words and have felt wounded in the process all due to nosiness and misunderstanding.
    best bet make all enteries friends only

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, for a while now it's been at the point where it's like the center of the scene and you're looked down upon if you don't have a large number of freinds on LJ. it's so ridiculous, every kid with there retarded X'd up name ( most of whom aren't even edge or core) will talk about thier retarded lives, and whenever you do something to piss off one kid, all the other scensters post it all over thier LJ like passing on gossip in high school. I too had it to keep in touch with a freind of mine and all the things I said and what amelia said just led me to hate it and go on a breif anti-LJ protest a few years back, I never go there anymore, and I always feel disgusted whenever I do.

Weblogger
    Born in London, bred in Yorkshire, laid in Dublin.

I enjoy LJ, both for my personal LJ and for my community. I sometimes read through the latest posts (one minutes worth in a single click!) looking for something interesting, but a great deal is just crap with silly spelling. I find a lot of the people on LJ - considering the span of age groups and the concentration amongst youngsters - are immature and need to get out a great deal more. I was banned from a vegetarian group last night, for example, when I corrected a mistake I'd made and the moderator simply ripped my name out without a word of explanation. We've had an e-mail correspondance since then - overnight - and I've come to the conclusion that she is suffering from an inferiority complex along with a distinct lack of world comprehension; so the community is history for me, and with no regrets.

I've looked at a few other journal systems and a few other discussion boards, but come to the conclusion that what I have with LJ and BlueBlood is the best available at the moment, even with juvenile posters in LJ which, I'm glad to say, we don't seem to get here.

I heard about LJ on this forum.... then I checked it out and when I saw f.ex. number of friends and similar I just closed Internet Explorer window, turned of computer and went out to meet some real people.

Mekahoel The Pandafist's Avatar Cold, wet and hungry

I have a friend that swears by it. His argument is "It helps me keep in touch with friends that I don't normally have means to contact." My reply is and always will be : if you care that much about your friends, pick up the phone. It's not that difficult.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

That comic is hilarious! I wuv it. <3

~TQP

Zoe_Zoebaboe's Avatar Senior Member

1. I dislike LJ. Too many people posting the same quizzes and whining about the same thing.

2. Red Meat, Strongbad Email, Penny Arcade, Real Life, Mega Tokyo. Dae it.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe_Zoebaboe
    1. I dislike LJ. Too many people posting the same quizzes and whining about the same thing.

2. Red Meat, Strongbad Email, Penny Arcade, Real Life, Mega Tokyo. Dae it.
    Without a doubt the funniest thing on the web. Love The monument episode and the secret lil The Cheat "Technochocolate" Rave.

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe_Zoebaboe
    I hate the quizzes and similar too; really cannot see the point when people post five to ten of the damn things and nothing else, as if they said something true about them! Trouble is, the fact that they post such things does say something about them, but not what they would hope.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Okay, there are a number of reasons I dislike LiveJournal. Great code which has devolved into a system that makes me kind of sick and says things about human nature I would have preferred not to know. My favorite comic strip of the moment is Men in Hats and here is a sample of why:

So, tell me why you (a) loathe Lj or (b) love Men in Hats or (c) what comic strips you are reading now.
    Come on, Amelia. It's really the loathesome content of a majority of lj postings that you are loathing. I found Halcyon then saw you and Forrest posting. To me, that and the very few people I've bothered with have made it worth toying with. It's something to play with.

OEC

Weblogger

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Come on, Amelia. It's really the loathesome content of a majority of lj postings that you are loathing. I found Halcyon then saw you and Forrest posting. To me, that and the very few people I've bothered with have made it worth toying with. It's something to play with.
    Zactly.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

that comic is hillarious and it is the exact portrayal of livejournal!!! hehe

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I don't read many LJ's because of the content. For my personal online journal I go between diary-x and blogger. I really like diary-x because I've used it to flex my just budding web design abilities. And the format is single entry which I like. My blogger is for my website and I'm still not quite sure how much I like it. I've toyed with having an LJ but after some of the fucktard asshat comments I've gotten I've stopped using it for the most part.

Zoe_Zoebaboe's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Without a doubt the funniest thing on the web. Love The monument episode and the secret lil The Cheat "Technochocolate" Rave.

Heh, Strongbad is the best thing since sliced bread. I own a Trogdor shirt, and whenever I wear it I always get people complimenting it and sing the song, hehe

kellie's Avatar Senior Member

I go through phases of being obsessed with LJ. Im currently not going through one, probably because my computer is in the shop.

I only read 1/10 of my friends list though.

electricgoblin's Avatar Member

Firstly I didn't like LJ so much cause I don't like much write about my life or I sometimes thought I've nothing to say but I find useful to be in contact with friends and is also a way to express . Althought someone said above take the phone or I talk with tem later.

With my LJ I pick up my feelings it could be a little memory, a picture or something funny.

Living Dead Girl

I actually like my LJ, but I only read one other person's because most people just annoy the Hell out of me.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

while living in boston LJ was good because my rather large group of friends(use the term loosly) could all coordinate plans invites to parties trips around the city etc etc. (we have a community called "krewehockey" which is all about meeting up to play street hockey) it is definatley helpful in that sense... a hell of alot easier then sending out a big email and then every reply gets mass sent to everyone else...

now that i move it is also very helpful in staying involved in my friends lives...of course it isn't the same as picking up the phone and talking to everyone but again when dealing with larger groups of people it definately fills in the time between phone calls or supplements it by giving you material to talk about... its alot easier to start a conversation by saying "hey i saw your LJ post what happened are you ok..."
    much easier then saying "hey whats up haven't talked to you in awhile what have you been doing"

while reading posts...obviously you have know when to skim through stuff....i almost totally avoid communities... and the ones that i am on are used to get info on club nights concerts etc. (which also gets annoying)

but then there are the rare few people who actually make it all worthwhile...people who's posts spill out their inner workings their emotions and thoughts and feelings and let you deeper into their world then they could ever do in person or over a phone. those are the people i look foward to reading up on.

+ Reply to Thread