+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Would you pay $90 for failure?

Default Would you pay $90 for failure?

I bought a PS3 game the other day at WalMart for $50, but it failed to load some of the parts and hung up at a certain point. (All my other games work so It's not the system)
    So I decided to go and return it for the same copy, because hey, maybe that copy just had a failure somehow.

At the counter they proceeded to open the NEW copy, wrapper off and all. (Which means No more return open copy, get same new copy, then exchange new copy later for same value or different game (since it's now unopened), which is what I used to do when all my games didn't work!)

"So what happens if this copy doesn't work and I have to come back and exchange this?"

"You'll have to basically do the same run through"

"So...even though it's now opened, and if it doesn't work again, and maybe ALL copies do this (Had a few games that were just failures out of the factory before), this would mean i'm out $50 right...?

"Yea, Basically, but you could always trade it in at gamestop or something"

So I brought it home, doesn't work again, figured i'd try gamestop and just trade it in for a different game.

"We can give you $10 credit for it"

"LOL! So that means i'm out $40..and if I want another new game it would be another $50-60..so in the end I just paid $90 for this new game"

"Yea, basically, would you like a subscription with that?"

*sigh*

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Would you pay $90 for failure?

Contact the manufacturer - there might be a patch.

There isn't. I looked it up online and others have the same issue at the same parts. :^(

Not that it matters now, because I never have time to play anything anymore anyways, but still...

It's like being robbed and then being kicked in the nuts.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I never understood that. how you can't take back anything once you remove it from the package. But how would you know if there was something wrong with it that it needs to be taken back to the store, if you don't take it out of the package? Is it common for people to buy things and leave them in the packages?

"Look at this new outfit I bought."

"that's very nice. when are you going to wear it?"

"I'm just going to leave it in the package. it might not fit me and then I wouldn't be able to return it."

and your little dog too

how was it $90? did you buy it twice?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by karyn

Kinda wondered. Naturally, I don't advocate illegal activities and shit. A few came to mind under this scenario.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    It's like being robbed and then being kicked in the nuts.
    that's life............one big kick in the nuts

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

what game was it?...i have not had problems like that before with a game. once i got a pc game where they failed to put the key in so i couldnt even install it. i just took it back and got a new one that had a key..

Quote Originally Posted by karyn
    $50 for the original game.. $10 credit for trading it in now being $40.

Buying a new different game with the credit applied which ended up being $50.

So basically I gave away $40..and spent another $50 to equal $90.

@Senior: It was a Need For Speed one..but it kept locking up at points :^(
    I should have listened to instinct and just waited until Metal Gears 4 comes out on the 12th. Sheesh.

I sincerely hate that this happened to you. Wally is clamping down on returned merchandise because of all the endless fraud incidents they have had taken advantage of them with...

@Senior: It was a Need For Speed one..but it kept locking up at points :^(
    I should have listened to instinct and just waited until Metal Gears 4 comes out on the 12th. Sheesh.
    pro street, eh?..you wasted your money..lol..nfs:most wanted is so much better then pro street..... i've already preorded my copy of mgs4

Hey, I'm new here and couldn't help but want to post in this topic. I'd just like to sincerely apologize for Gamestop being so screwed up. I'm a "game adviser", and every time I work people get pissed off for how little their crap trades in for... And then of course, we feel the need to turn around and sell that game you just got $10 for for a ridiculous $44.99. Yes, that's what we sell Pro Street for, used. Yes, that is a disgusting $34.99 in profit that does not go to MY paycheck, but to the CEO's bonus.

I am so very, very sorry.

Gamestop corporate is a bunch of pricks who care little for their customers and employees. I only work there for the 25% discount on used games.

As for Walmart... well, they've always sucked where I live, worse than normal apparently.

They always have the worst qualified ppl to work there... or the grandma's that have the rule book memorized, and enjoy holding everyone on a control trip!

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Maybe you could of sold it on ebay for a bit more?

If it was me I would have took the game back again and tried to exchange it for a different game. They have policies but if you make a big enough stink about it (that doesn't mean yelling or acting like an ass) things will usually work out.

I can't understand why you would actually accept 10$ store credit from gamestop. Was the other game you bought something you really couldn't wait a bit longer for or something?

You've probably read about it online but it might be your system not the game itself. There is several different versions of the PS3 and they seem to handle software differently.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Also, I have and would again pay 90$ for a failure. Not the one in this thread but I think failure is the best way to find success.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    pro street, eh?..you wasted your money
    I know that now. I liked Carbon so I had hopes...but it's not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by shuzuko
    Hey, I'm new here and couldn't help but want to post in this topic. I'd just like to sincerely apologize for Gamestop being so screwed up.
    Heya, welcome and sorry your first posts were in a ranting thread! LOL.
    On GS's employee's defense, they don't set the prices for trade in..so I know it's not them...they even gave me the FallOut 3 promo cd and poster..and I didnt have to preorder..so that was nice of them :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    Maybe you could of sold it on ebay for a bit more?

If it was me I would have took the game back again and tried to exchange it for a different game. They have policies but if you make a big enough stink about it (that doesn't mean yelling or acting like an ass) things will usually work out.

I can't understand why you would actually accept 10$ store credit from gamestop. Was the other game you bought something you really couldn't wait a bit longer for or something?

You've probably read about it online but it might be your system not the game itself. There is several different versions of the PS3 and they seem to handle software differently.
    I don't really sell on Feebay anymore..getting too ...fee-ish and half the time they don't pay anyways...waste of my time.

As for accepting the $10..I was already P'O'd and what was I going to do with a shotty disc anyway? I'd have more fun with a AOL Trial disc..from WalMart. :^)

As for the system being at fault, i don't think it is..as in the first post it plays all my other games and the newer ones..it's a launch system I sat out for though..so who knows... ~_*

The little man's always getting screwed by THE MAN!

I know that now. I liked Carbon so I had hopes...but it's not the same.
    i played the demo for carbon, but i didnt really like it..is that worth buying?
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    The little man's always getting screwed by THE MAN!
    i blame it on canadians..

Carbon's worth buying because it does have it's challenges..but probably not worth more than $40.

It's pretty nice to have the car customizations too...If I still have them (because your cars can get towed by the cops if you get caught), I made a 360 car and a Wii car with mario stars...and race them online with the PS3.. LOL.. its better than ProStreet 10x. *grumble*

Carbon's worth buying because it does have it's challenges..but probably not worth more than $40.

It's pretty nice to have the car customizations too...If I still have them (because your cars can get towed by the cops if you get caught), I made a 360 car and a Wii car with mario stars...and race them online with the PS3.. LOL.. its better than ProStreet 10x. *grumble*
    cool..maybe i'll get it then...i've heard people have made some interesting customizations to their vehicles..lol

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    They always have the worst qualified ppl to work there... or the grandma's that have the rule book memorized, and enjoy holding everyone on a control trip!
    ooo they all sound hot... I can tolerate grandma's control trip if she is hot. stop turning me on OK no.. I'm serious you know you're doing it purpose you vixen hehe

oh right... the actual topic... getting to it...
    If I get out of a failure for $90 then I think I've gotten a bargain. some are way more expensive than that

Quote Originally Posted by shuzuko
    I only work there for the 25% discount on used games.
    everyone has their price... I'm guessin yours is about 5 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by helcyon
    everyone has their price... I'm guessin yours is about 5 bucks?
    Cute answer.

Oh man that sucks. I'm sorry to hear about that

As an aside, if you want to trade in games, I recommend Blockbuster for store credit. They will usually give you around $30 for a video game (if it's new'ish) as compared to Gamestop's $10. They also give more $ for new dvds.

+ Reply to Thread