+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is Manic Panic pet friendly?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Default Re: Is Manic Panic pet friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Responding to a thread on dying animals does not equate to a lack of concern for more serious animal issues. I have some serious doubts as to the safety, I've seen no conclusive evidence on the subject. It is not a risk I would take (or allow to happen to pets I dealt with). You seem to at least be operating under the belief that it is safe, however.

I just tend to wonder: What on earth do you or the animal get out of coloring its fur? I just find it silly on its face. An animal cannot make a conscious decision to alter its appearance. Why do you do it? (I'm asking honestly, I won't bash your answer.) Animal dying is really not on the radar screen.

OEC
    Why thank you for actually taking the time out to ask these questions.

I do not, nor will ever dye the face of an animal. I dont want that stuff in my eyes, I certainly wont take the risk of it getting in any animals eyes either. Just like tearless shampoo, I cant stand it if it goes in my eyes, therefore I will not allow it to get near my animals eyes, nor any of my clients animals eyes.

Something you said leads me to a question. If there is no conclusive evidence either way, then there is no reason to state that dying an animal is cruel. I dont mind opinions, actually I love opinions, but some others here are stating as fact.

What does my animal get out of coloring its fur? The bonding experience, just like what would happen with a grooming session. What do I get out of it? Showing my animals off with their pretty colored coats, people saying how awesome it looks, giving my animal attention (which helps with social skills), also the bonding experience, and the same reason I dye my own hair different colors. I just like it. Its not like Im piercing my goldfish to put a piece of jewelry in it. The color washes out in a few washes on pet fur. As to why clients have come in to have their dogs dyed blue, purple, red, etc...are their own reasons. I cannot speak for them. All I can do is use a safe dye and make sure the animal is not put in harms way by someone who wants to use Clairol.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Leisel
    *laff* Would be nice... (the making up minus the sucking face, thanks). In spite of my initial post in reply to Jax, I really didn't join the community to make enemies or piss people off. I came here because I thought (and still think!) the boards would be a great place for intelligent discussion and debate.
    Im over it, lol. Everyone here knows that Im quite an opinionated character with a pretty big mouth to match. But I hold no grudges;]

see ,all good!... err wait just one minute ,,,

NO MAKIN UP PIC!

oh well ,,,i;ll just have to go back to usein my vivid imagination,

and salute me when throwin the poo "Jax's monkey army" !

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    Why thank you for actually taking the time out to ask these questions.

I do not, nor will ever dye the face of an animal. I dont want that stuff in my eyes, I certainly wont take the risk of it getting in any animals eyes either. Just like tearless shampoo, I cant stand it if it goes in my eyes, therefore I will not allow it to get near my animals eyes, nor any of my clients animals eyes.

Something you said leads me to a question. If there is no conclusive evidence either way, then there is no reason to state that dying an animal is cruel. I dont mind opinions, actually I love opinions, but some others here are stating as fact.

What does my animal get out of coloring its fur? The bonding experience, just like what would happen with a grooming session. What do I get out of it? Showing my animals off with their pretty colored coats, people saying how awesome it looks, giving my animal attention (which helps with social skills), also the bonding experience, and the same reason I dye my own hair different colors. I just like it. Its not like Im piercing my goldfish to put a piece of jewelry in it. The color washes out in a few washes on pet fur. As to why clients have come in to have their dogs dyed blue, purple, red, etc...are their own reasons. I cannot speak for them. All I can do is use a safe dye and make sure the animal is not put in harms way by someone who wants to use Clairol.
    In terms of a dog, I doubt it would cause much harm. When asked about cats, you have to consider the low body weight and tendency to ingest anything you put on it. So, it's more a matter of potential harm specifically to a small cat. I tend to be conservative with regards to even potential harm. Manic Panic ingested in large quantities (as with a lot of substances unnatural to cats) would be extremely unnatural for the cat's digestive tract. Cats tend to be very sensitive to foreign substances. Personally, I just would not take the risk. There is always a potential of harm or lethality when introducing foreign substances to a cat.

But yeah, I can understand the bonding aspect. I would need more actual evidence to consider it cruelty. You aren't deliberately being cruel if your experience has led you to believe its safe.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

besides you could end up with some freaking nasty looking hairballs to clean up

but if you must dye your cat try it, if your cat doesn't like you'll find out, hasn't anyone seen a pissed off cat before?

Amaltheas_Attic's Avatar Member

I had a ferret roll in some ways back. She was multi colored for a while, but suffered no ill effects from it, aside from looking a bit silly.

Who would have thought raw fish would be bad for cats to eat?

"I'm not vegan because I love animals, I'm vegan because I hate plants." one of the funniest things i've read in awhile. Thanks Morning Glory

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

tye dye ferrit... my god... cute.
    yeah fish raw or cooked is bad for male cats, itll give them wicked urinary tract infections apparently... not cool at all.
    and for gods sake dont give any cat pepperoni sticks hahaa... the cat farts will kill you.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Yeah, chocolate seems to be the one that most everyone knows about but there are others that pose health risks as well:

Dogs:
    # Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)
    # Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
    # Rhubarb leaves
    # Mouldy/spoiled foods
    # Alcohol
    # Yeast dough
    # Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
    # Hops (used in home brewing)
    # Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
    # Broccoli (in large amounts)
    # Raisins and grapes
    # Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

CATS:
    #Alcoholic beverages
    #Apples and Apricots (stems, seeds and leaves)
    #Avocados
    #Baby food containing onion
    #Baking Powder and Baking Soda
    #Bones from fish, poultry or other meats
    #Cherries
    #Chocolate, Coffee, Tea and other caffeine
    #Citrus oil extracts
    #Dog food in large amounts
    #Eggplant (greens)
    #Elderberry
    #Fatty foods
    #Grapes and Raisins
    #Liver in large amounts
    #Macadamia Nuts
    #Milk and other dairy products (many cats are lactose intolerant)
    #Mushrooms
    #Nutmeg
    #Onions and Garlic
    #Peaches and Plums (stems, seeds and leaves)
    #Potato
    #Rhubarb (leaves)
    #Raw eggs
    #Raw fish
    #Salt in large quantities
    #Sugary foods
    #Tobacco
    #Tomato (greens)
    #Yeast dough

And I just deleted even more of an already far too long post here about other types of animals; namely herps and invertebrates. If you've got "exotics" take the time to learn how to care for them. Screw it. If you have one and you're unsure... ask ME. I'll help however I can whether that be getting you links or references to pertinent info sites or just telling you what I know.

Stepping off my soap-box now. Thank you for listening.

wow..thanks for this list

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    For one, I cant believe all the crying about dying an animal. You all realize that there are cruelties out there against animals that are severely worse, you know, like starvation, torture, factory farming, etc? Who cares if someone wants to dye their dog/cat/ferret/monkey?

I have used Manic Panic, Special Effects and Punky Color on my animals, as well as requests from owners who wanted their dogs dyed at a dog salon I was working at. Thats what we used. No problems at all, on any animal I have used it on. Would I use Clairol or something equal to that sort of hair dye? No. Wouldnt even think about it.

I cant even read the rest of this thread. Its not abuse, youre not doing it against the animals will (unless you consider walking them on a leash or giving them baths or clipping their toenails cruel since they dont want you to do those things), so please, focus on the real abuse.

good point! thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    all I know is my cats would hate being died (dyed?) besides they'd just spend all day licking it off anyway so why bother?

my cat I posted about, she's about 3 and some months years old now. She's still kinda pink/orange from the one and only time I dyed her 3 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    i dont see what the big deal is, i mean people put stupid little doggie boots and sweaters on their animals and they get them shaved, and groomed and , fixed and sparkly collars and leases and carry cases, and pet psychics, and kitty counsiling, and the list goes on, so whats the big deal if you are using a pet-safe dye?

exactly! and you know if your pet is hating it if your pet is hissing and biting..while you're doing it.

It's just the safety of the product that I'm really concerned about, thank you for your comment

Quote Originally Posted by kellie
    When I was a teenager, my mom asked our vet if manic panic dye was safe for our chihuahua. The vet said it was vegetable dye, and it was safe. We dyed my little chihuahua pink and green.
    Now, if that vet was correct or not, I really dont know, but she never got sick from it.

thats good to hear =)

I don't understand why anyone would want to do this to their pet. Generally they're pretty enough without err... enhancements.

I find an odd colored animal cuter than the rest. . Why is everyone all hyped up about the albino alligator on display at the LA zoo?? Because of the color. To each his own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    so im curious..i dyed my sons hair teal during the summer...was that bad of me? Im not saying its really the same thing, specialy health wise, it was safe. But was it like taking his rights?

Same question with circumcision...

Quote Originally Posted by Anarkey
    common sense ,would you knowingly eat or drink some think that is harmfull and could possibly kill you ,,,,

then dont do it too a animal !

ummm..thats why i'm asking in this forum if Manic Panic is toxic or not... thanks

sunkarma's Avatar Evil666..reborn

There actually is a book called "Painted cats" where artwork is done on cat fur with FOOD COLORING...very nice artwork and the cats looked fabulous. They weren't harmed in any way. I think Manic Panic might harm the beastie...try food coloring. I think she described in the book how to do it.

S

+ Reply to Thread