+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy Tartan Day!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Happy Tartan Day!

Had a good time watching a celtic band called Rising Gael last nighthere. They have quite a varied repertoire. Lot of Scots/Kilts/Ale also haha. Was nice. First time out since the fire.

http://www.tartanday.org
    http://www.tartandaymn.org/

Note From Sean Connery Follows:

Sean Connery says that Scotland's independence day may be closer than ever.

By Sean Connery
    April 5, 2008

There are few more cherished American ideals than independence. As we prepare to celebrate Tartan Day, established as April 6 by a U.S. Senate resolution in 1998 to commemorate one of the inspirations for the Declaration of Independence -- Scotland's Declaration of Arbroath -- it is as good a time as any to tell the uniquely Scottish story of independence.

In 1320, Scots penned the Declaration of Arbroath. In lines that would echo through the ages, they wrote, "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honors that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Many Americans are familiar with that part of the story -- of the patriot William Wallace and the Scots who stood up for independence. What is understandably less familiar is that in 1707, a group of Scottish noblemen sold Scotland's independence and joined with England to become the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

It wasn't a popular move. In fact, Daniel Defoe wrote that "for every Scot in favor, 99 is against."

So it is not surprising that some people have been working ever since to change it.

More interesting than the past, though, is the national conversation going on in Scotland now. What is so special about it is that the world has an example of a completely democratic process in which the people are considering their future, and in which their voice will be the final word.

In 1997, Scots spoke loudly when they voted to reinstate their Parliament. When Scottish National Party President Winifred Ewing was able to say, "The Scots Parliament, adjourned on 25th March 1707, is hereby reconvened," she touched hearts across the country.

The Scottish Parliament has authority for health, education, courts and the environment. The British Parliament retains control over most taxes and foreign affairs.

The question now is, what next? The current Scottish government is the first one in modern times that wants to see Scotland reclaim its independence.

The best part of this debate is that it is based on ideas, not ethnicity. Conversations about the best future for the country are happening in the Scottish Parliament and in homes and workplaces across the country.

The Scottish government wants Scotland and England to become independent and equal nations, with the queen and her successors continuing as the common head of state of both -- similar to what happened in Canada and Australia in the 20th century. In other words, we would move toward becoming united kingdoms, rather than the United Kingdom.

Debating their constitutional future does not stop Scots from contributing to today's important international issues. This week, the Scottish government, with the support of the National Geographic Society, announced the Saltire Prize -- a $20-million award for innovation in renewable energy -- as a challenge to the world's scientists. The message that Scotland is open for business came across clearly this week as Scotland dropped its business taxes to be even more internationally competitive. And you might not think Scotland when you think football, but today, the New York Giants' own Greenock-born Lawrence Tynes will be leading the Tartan Day parade down 6th Avenue.

Independence is something Americans inherently understand. My whole adult life, I have waited and worked for the day that Scots are able to decide democratically if they wish to rejoin the community of nations as an independent and equal member. A recent poll showed that two-thirds of Scots would welcome that opportunity under certain circumstances.

I believe that day -- Scotland's independence day -- is closer than ever.

Sean Connery was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2000 and is an Academy Award winner who has appeared in more than 60 films.

Default Re: Happy Tartan Day!

Maybe this is just from my upbringing in the states but wouldn't making each area its own country weaken them? It seems they're trying to ressurect an idea or a fantasy. When Scotland and England were seperate nations it was not a happy time. Problems with trade, communication, income and violence seemed common place.

From a law stand point separating police forces, intelligence bureaus, and the army would make it difficult to share information/track criminals etc.

To me a better idea would be to make England/Wales/Scotland/N. Ireland as states with their own name/governors etc but have them unified as a Country.

Or is that what they're talking about? I'm really not familiar with politics or the way the bureaucracy in that area is set up at all.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    Maybe this is just from my upbringing in the states but wouldn't making each area its own country weaken them? It seems they're trying to ressurect an idea or a fantasy. When Scotland and England were seperate nations it was not a happy time. Problems with trade, communication, income and violence seemed common place.

From a law stand point separating police forces, intelligence bureaus, and the army would make it difficult to share information/track criminals etc.

To me a better idea would be to make England/Wales/Scotland/N. Ireland as states with their own name/governors etc but have them unified as a Country.

Or is that what they're talking about? I'm really not familiar with politics or the way the bureaucracy in that area is set up at all.
    The day was more just a celebration of scottish history and culture. They do want full independence though. I think with the advent of the EU, it would be less of a big deal. It may weaken the UK stance vis a vis Germany and France when setting regulations though.

OEC

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I'm not allowed to wear a kilt. I'd love to, but my wife is worried I'd scare people, since I would wear it in the "traditional way" and probably my dancing would reveal this to all and sundrie!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

that is very sad BSD.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    I'm not allowed to wear a kilt. I'd love to, but my wife is worried I'd scare people, since I would wear it in the "traditional way" and probably my dancing would reveal this to all and sundrie!

Maybe she'd let you wear an "utility kilt" check em out

No, she won't even let me wear shorts, even though all I want to do is go to a fancy dress/Halloween Party as Eddie Munster.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

wears kilt when I play paintball... yes it is like taking my life in my own hands...
    .68 cal paintball traveling at 300 feet pre second...
    Real ballers wear kilts

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue View Post
    Maybe she'd let you wear an "utility kilt" check em out
    Update: I am now allowed to wear a kilt.

+ Reply to Thread