View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • AK-47 with underfolder

14 93.33%
  • Walther PPS .40

1 6.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Planing for a potential state of chaos, which would you choose?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Planing for a potential state of chaos, which would you choose?

Planning for potentially unlikely civil unrest and dangerous chaos, which would you choose if you had to choose one and why?

AK-47 SYNTHETIC YUGO UNDERFOLDER 7.62X39 CAL. NEW

Walther PPS .40 NEW

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Planing for a potential state of chaos, which would you choose?

I chose the AK. It would really depend how much advance notice I had. Due to personal preferences (and quirks), the AK would be ideal if I made it "to the hills". For urban combat, I'd probably go with the Israeli assault rifle or a handgun. There would come point though ... were I not able to defend my family and capture was imminent ... that my own death would be the only honorable act. Thus, at that point, I would commit suicide. Hope that wasn't too grim eh?

OEC

I kind of feel like the .40 is way more practical in a lot of situations, but in times of upheaval and chaos 7.62 ammunition always seems to be readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I kind of feel like the .40 is way more practical in a lot of situations, but in times of upheaval and chaos 7.62 ammunition always seems to be readily available.
    For accuracy, I think you are probably right. The AK is more due to the ease of use, personal style, and cryptic undertones. I'd go down fighting, but I'd be realistic about how the story ends.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm glad you boys are thinking positive in this time of fiscal, political, and societal upheaval.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I'd get the Walther, so that I have room to carry my flame thrower.

I'll have the AK, I think. I'd be at a disadvantage in most chaotic urban situations if it came to actually shooting anyone, but holding something like that chances are I'd get my way without that.

'Sides, I imagine the real fights would be later on, between gangs and factions rising out of the mess. I've been wanting to defend an anarchist fortress build out of rubble and destroyed cars with an AK-47 since Fallout Tactics.

If I wasn't concerned with concealment, I'd go with the AK. I think that in most parts of the world, 7.62 shells are easier to come by than .40.

The AK is also going to have a lot more killing power, especially at range.

Plus, the AK is reliable and easy to fix.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

the AK is the way to go...no disadvantage in an urban environment. With the folding stock it allows you to use it in just as many situations as the Walther. 7.62 is a much better damage inflicting load than .40 if you have never actually shot a .40 do so! the smaller frame/size of the Walther and the "hot" characteristics of the .40 round make it a difficult gun to shoot for someone that is well trained and shoots a lot, nearly impossible for a novice in a panic situation. the AK holds more rounds and definitely stops someone (i've taken 7.62 to the chest of my body armor and it knocked me down AND shook me up, fortunately the following shots missed me because my chicken plate was shattered by the first hit). plus you have the added benefit of range. you can really reach out and touch someone with an AK vs the short range of a pistol in the hands of someone without a lot of experience. I have fought in citys in Afrika, Bosnia, and Iraq with both rifles and handguns and believe me the rifle (AK or M-4) wins hands down...

bring on the anarchy! tattoos, cool outfits, and cannibalism for all!

and like Raza says the real problem will be later when folks have re-organized some...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well what it really comes down to is who you expect to be shooting at. In "everyday circumstances" I'd favor the Walther. Any handgun is going to lose in range against a rifle, of course, but I'd say it favors better in overall accuracy. In a personal defense situation you are probably going to be doing most firing in short range anyway. Also the ease of use and carry is something to definitely consider. You're going to be on the go and a pistol is going to be better than lugging around a rifle everywhere and quicker on the draw. Plus concealment may be desired.

But it goes back to what I first said. bottom line is that in the end of the world scenario you may have to fight against groups of people and for that the AK is the clear lead. All the other advantages have been pointed out, and after all there's a reason why it is the favored choice for an assault rifle.

I'm somewhat getting the impression that your idea of 'overal accuracy' stems from 3D shooters, where single shot pistols will hit whatever you point your crosshair at while automatics perforate a general area.

AKs aren't famous for their accuracy, but I do think it is possible to fire single shots with them, and their barrel is far longer than the handgun's. I think it'd beat the pistol at accuracy at all ranges other than within melee reach. If you start bursting you'll obviously miss far more than you hit, but at an entirely uneducated guess I think it beats the Walter in magazine capacity and possibly ammo availability anyway.

The advantage I thought the walter might have are primarily in non-combat or not-entirely-combat situations, where the majority of people you're dealing with are neither allies or foes, and it might be convenient to not shoot them or even to keep them from seeing you armed entirely. Also, you might need to save some energy for carrying stuff other than weaponry.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

if chaos happens I'll be waaaay too busy to have time to think about things like that

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    AKs aren't famous for their accuracy, but I do think it is possible to fire single shots with them, and their barrel is far longer than the handgun's. I think it'd beat the pistol at accuracy at all ranges other than within melee reach. If you start bursting you'll obviously miss far more than you hit, but at an entirely uneducated guess I think it beats the Walter in magazine capacity and possibly ammo availability anyway..
    Spray and pray is generally kind of silly anyway, but longer range and single shot accuracy, not to mention big damage, is certainly a plus. The likely availability of shells is a point in favor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    The advantage I thought the walter might have are primarily in non-combat or not-entirely-combat situations, where the majority of people you're dealing with are neither allies or foes, and it might be convenient to not shoot them or even to keep them from seeing you armed entirely. Also, you might need to save some energy for carrying stuff other than weaponry.
    This is where I was leaning towards the Walther. It standardly takes 5-6 rounds, but it's very thin and light. To some degree, the logic was that with the Walther, you could get more AK's but with an AK you probably could just get more AKs.

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

not being a proper markswoman at this point and time I suppose the AK would be the wiser choice though the Walter is oddly sexy; however what i really want is a Herkimer Battle Jitney and an enormous butterfly net to be operated from the hatch or side portals. In general i would prefer to have a ubiquitous(go figure) assortment of tools and nessecities and avoid brutal conflict if possible. In a way I cant wait , no building permits, tons of now useless, scavengeable parts to build whatever... but at such a cost its hard to feel ok about that excitement, and all in all I would be a lot happier if things changed more gradually to a sustainable situation. What can I say I am a bit of an optimist.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

I would choose a quantity of chocolate cake. It's not lethal, and it wasn't on the list of choices, but I really like chocolate cake.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I gotta go AK all the way. This gun is is a better weapon all around. Though I'm not a big fan of the underfolder.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I'm glad you boys are thinking positive in this time of fiscal, political, and societal upheaval.
    I found the poll oddly reassuring. My Representative is Ellison. My district is so safely (D), you'd have to reanimate Teddy Roosevelt to make him flinch. He voted aye on the House bill (that was without the "sweeteners") in the Senate version. Only speaking for myself, I don't think we're to that point. It is a realistic contingency, however.

What if: The "bailout" passes in a noxious form. Obama is elected. The unspeakable happens to Obama. Now where are we? We'd be pretty close to the abyss imo.

OEC

unspeakable??.......................like what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    unspeakable??.......................like what?
    It's something of a faux pas to speak of in american culture. It's one I generally follow. I am thinking of the possibility that there is an assassination attempt on the next President of the United States.

OEC

oh, right...............of all the numerous unspeakables, that one didn't cross my mind

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    the AK is the way to go...no disadvantage in an urban environment. With the folding stock it allows you to use it in just as many situations as the Walther. 7.62 is a much better damage inflicting load than .40 if you have never actually shot a .40 do so! the smaller frame/size of the Walther and the "hot" characteristics of the .40 round make it a difficult gun to shoot for someone that is well trained and shoots a lot, nearly impossible for a novice in a panic situation. the AK holds more rounds and definitely stops someone (i've taken 7.62 to the chest of my body armor and it knocked me down AND shook me up, fortunately the following shots missed me because my chicken plate was shattered by the first hit). plus you have the added benefit of range. you can really reach out and touch someone with an AK vs the short range of a pistol in the hands of someone without a lot of experience. I have fought in citys in Afrika, Bosnia, and Iraq with both rifles and handguns and believe me the rifle (AK or M-4) wins hands down...

bring on the anarchy! tattoos, cool outfits, and cannibalism for all!

and like Raza says the real problem will be later when folks have re-organized some...
    I go with anything Jonny says to go with....And if all the bad shit goes down, I'll be heading to Jonny's house and hangin' in his bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    oh, right...............of all the numerous unspeakables, that one didn't cross my mind
    There is also to (remote) possibility of simply not having an election, which would be a bit of a drag.

I'll bring the chocolate cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I go with anything Jonny says to go with....And if all the bad shit goes down, I'll be heading to Jonny's house and hangin' in his bunker.
    hey Johnny you can come and play in the battle jitney if you like,Donkey and I need a point man, provided of course you like Pie and strange music and mutton on sundays.i would do a smiley face but I am a luddite and dont know how.

There is also to (remote) possibility of simply not having an election, which would be a bit of a drag.
    Yeah, There is some contingency involving war or state of emergency that would negate an 11/4 election. Seriously though, I think Bush is counting the days at this point. He can't possibly be enjoying this shit at this point. Would kind of suck not having an election.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    Yeah, There is some contingency involving war or state of emergency that would negate an 11/4 election. Seriously though, I think Bush is counting the days at this point. He can't possibly be enjoying this shit at this point. Would kind of suck not having an election.

OEC
    Yeah, I would have to think it would sound like school in the summertime at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat

OEC
    His approval's like at 20 something percent. I think he just wants out. The funny thing is usually ex-presidents make their cash by doing "speaking" engagements. Now who the fuck would want to hire this dude to speak?

just a 'bit' of a drag?

I would have to go with the Walther. On of my strongest assets is the ability to look non threatening, and that is a lot harder to do with an AK.

Truth be told though, my post apocalyptic weapon of choice is the ruger 10/22.

Versatile, easy to maintain, reliable, and you can carry more .22 rimfire in one pants pocket than you could possibly need in a week.

Can you imagine trying to hunt game with an AK?

As far as a fight with my fellow post apocolyptites... a gun is just a deterrent to buy me time. There are much better predator removal systems that do not put me in the line of fire.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

AK for the win! its easy to fix and use plus its natural to be more worried by some one with a bigger gun.
    also with the range I couldnt help bu think of sniping someone who you know is out to get you

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

since ive never actually fired a real gun(the closest ive come is holding a real gun), i bet that i cant aim for shit. gotta go with quantity to actually hit anything. the real determinate though, is whether or not i could get away with carrying the AK-47 slung over my shoulder.

I think a more important tool for me than a gun is my powers of charisma and leadership. I would have a better time being strapped to the back of a retarded giant and others around me would carry weapons for my protection.

I'm a canadian..............no aks or walthers here

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

weird that i click on to this thread while listenin to Ice Cube's It Was A Good Day just as the line "Today I Didint even have to use my AK, I got to say it was a good day" came out my speakers. id go with the AK ecause it can be more practical for other things besides self defence. Like if for some reason you need to hunt the AK would be better suited for the job. just keep it on single shot so you dont waste amo

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyMoses
    I think a more important tool for me than a gun is my powers of charisma and leadership. I would have a better time being strapped to the back of a retarded giant and others around me would carry weapons for my protection.
    master blaster! sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyMoses
    Yeah, but then Mel Gibson would come in and gum up the works.

Can I chose both?

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Can I chose both?
    Mel Gibson AND Master Blaster?! Wowee!!

Fleisch's Avatar Exiled

I would choose AK-47 for multiple enemies in open space, gun for enclosed spaces and a nice short sword for if some sneaky mothafucka aproaches me enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitress
    Mel Gibson AND Master Blaster?! Wowee!!
    Don't forget Chuck and Hoff

+ Reply to Thread