+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Story of My Life

Default Story of My Life

Because Rielle Hunter was the interviewee, I watched Oprah on TiVo last night. It was only my second time watching Oprah because I've always believed that she was one of those things like chick lit which turn women into the weaker sex. I think I've been mistaken on this because, in point of fact, Oprah is an impressive nuanced interviewer, with a brilliant balance of coming across compassionate enough for her subjects to reveal themselves, without seeming like she is ever just giving someone a pass for bad behavior or opinions either.

The obvious question, when someone like John Edwards betrays his marriage in a way which is so dangerous for his career, is why, even if he was unhappy, why? I was interested to see how Rielle Hunter came across on Oprah because she is obviously a set-the-world-on-fire compelling woman. I know most of the country is interested in Rielle Hunter (if they are interested in Rielle Hunter) because of her affair (and possible sex tape) with presidential candidate John Edwards. I must confess, however, that my interest is as a huge Jay McInerney fan.

Before he was a famous novelist and short story writer, Jay McInerney was a remarkable New York city scenester who cut quite a swathe through society, literary ...
    Read the full article

Default Re: Story of My Life

If only she didn't sound so completely messed up, I'd be happy to let her set the world on fire! I wish more male writers could get to know the women in their lives and use some of that to inform their female characters so vividly.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Euthanasia View Post
    If only she didn't sound so completely messed up, I'd be happy to let her set the world on fire! I wish more male writers could get to know the women in their lives and use some of that to inform their female characters so vividly.

Of course, she is super messed up in Story of My Life, but also a really strong character who gets things done, even if perhaps not the best things. Sometimes it is easier to set the world on fire in not the best ways, I suppose. I remember, at the time the book came out, it was such a vivid portrait of a real-feeling female character that a lot of literary people suspected Merry McInInerney wrote or co-wrote it.

nvrsetl's Avatar Junior Member

Good on her, we need more vivid charactors!

Exiled

i don't usually read stuff like this but the article was ok

+ Reply to Thread