+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy Scumbag Holidays

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Happy Scumbag Holidays

Why is it that so many people behave their absolute worst around the holidays? There is some scumbag who is sending a million spams and viruses to SpookyHotties.com. I probably know pretty much which scumbag as I've seen this rotten behavior before and they are probably the same folks who regularly hit every single URL on SpookyHotties.com with a ping from their site. But, please, they have to feel all competitive with SpookyHotties.com??? It is just a fun site. Yes, it is a popular fun site, but it is just a place for cool people to post pictures of themselves and their pets. It is actually pretty expensive to host and provide sufficient server power for. And someone wants to send harrassing emails and viruses to what is supposed to be a pretty basic scene resource? WTF is wrong with people?

Default Re: Happy Scumbag Holidays

People are just people. There are the good ones, and the bad ones. There seems to be a lot more of the latter, but hey, what can you do? you just have to hold on when you find the good ones.

The bad ones seem to be more bad this time of year and the good ones seem to also be more bad this time of year.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Why is it that so many people behave their absolute worst around the holidays? There is some scumbag who is sending a million spams and viruses to SpookyHotties.com. I probably know pretty much which scumbag as I've seen this rotten behavior before and they are probably the same folks who regularly hit every single URL on SpookyHotties.com with a ping from their site. But, please, they have to feel all competitive with SpookyHotties.com??? It is just a fun site. Yes, it is a popular fun site, but it is just a place for cool people to post pictures of themselves and their pets. It is actually pretty expensive to host and provide sufficient server power for. And someone wants to send harrassing emails and viruses to what is supposed to be a pretty basic scene resource? WTF is wrong with people?
    I believe I may have received a virus while chatting on spooky hotties, resulting in the dysfunction of my video card (now at Gateway) My screen suddenly went black and showed signs consistent with video card failure (boot up, a flash of windows, then black screen) You may be right, altho I would still remind people to update their firewalls and virus protection while surfing any site.

OEC

TheWalkingGlitch's Avatar Si vis pacem, para bellum

My theory is penis envy, or at least some derivative of it. "Your site is [bigger/nicer looking/faster/has more members/better written/makes better waffles/etc] than my site! I'm going to break it, then I'll be the best one on the internet!" I have the same theory about war.

As for why people do it now, I have no idea. Maybe they're off work and have more free time. Either that or they're all Scrooges and can't stand to see other people have fun when they're miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    I believe I may have received a virus while chatting on spooky hotties, resulting in the dysfunction of my video card (now at Gateway) My screen suddenly went black and showed signs consistent with video card failure (boot up, a flash of windows, then black screen) You may be right, altho I would still remind people to update their firewalls and virus protection while surfing any site.

OEC
    Nah, there is nothing on the site which is interactive with your machine in a way which could cause virus infection. This is people emailing viruses to my email and hoping I will open them. I use Norton and what they are doing would be obvious anyway, so I don't get infected, just irritated.

But you can not get a virus from surfing a friendly site. The only way a site can give you a virus is if it has hostile software in its code which it tries to install and which you allow it to install.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkingGlitch
    My theory is penis envy, or at least some derivative of it. "Your site is [bigger/nicer looking/faster/has more members/better written/makes better waffles/etc] than my site! I'm going to break it, then I'll be the best one on the internet!" I have the same theory about war.

As for why people do it now, I have no idea. Maybe they're off work and have more free time. Either that or they're all Scrooges and can't stand to see other people have fun when they're miserable.

Ya know, I think you are 100% right. I think the Scrooge factor is totally the thing and it makes sense that would get worse around the holidays in that sort of person. I was thinking that SpookyHotties.com is a site I run at a loss in order to give everyone an extra fun toy to play with and why would someone mess with that, but of course the answer is they can't stand to see other people having fun.

I really want some waffles now.

DharmaLion's Avatar Devil's Advocate

Some people just enjoy being an assholes.

I personally think it has more to do with the relative annonimity of the web. I would be willing to bet that who ever it is wouldn't be acting out if they were face to face with you. I can guarantee that they wouldn't in my presence...atleast, not for long.

Nah, there is nothing on the site which is interactive with your machine in a way which could cause virus infection. This is people emailing viruses to my email and hoping I will open them. I use Norton and what they are doing would be obvious anyway, so I don't get infected, just irritated.

But you can not get a virus from surfing a friendly site. The only way a site can give you a virus is if it has hostile software in its code which it tries to install and which you allow it to install.
    ah, k. It was probably just the card then.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    ah, k. It was probably just the card then.

OEC

It could totally have been some sort of malware, just from a different site. I have this one thing on my comp right now that is driving me crazy where it keeps trying to reset my homepage to this sales fake search engine thing. My anti-spyware stuff stops it from doing the reset, but it keeps popping a window up to tell me something is trying to reset it and do I want to. People who email me viruses on purpose really piss me off though.

I really want some waffles now.
    Waffles are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DharmaLion
    Some people just enjoy being an assholes.

I personally think it has more to do with the relative annonimity of the web. I would be willing to bet that who ever it is wouldn't be acting out if they were face to face with you. I can guarantee that they wouldn't in my presence...atleast, not for long.
    You have a point there. It definitely lends credibility to Penny Arcade's Greater Internet Fuckwad theory.

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkingGlitch
    Waffles are awesome.

You have a point there. It definitely lends credibility to Penny Arcade's Greater Internet Fuckwad theory.

i'm a fuckwad with or without the internet but that is really funny

I have also been recieving tons of spam lately, from odd places and addresses that dont make sense at all. *

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

Assholes just get downright mean during this time of year... online and in person, I avoid as much personal interaction because of this habit of I tend to get stabby... and I got one of THESE to bury in someone's chest should the need arise.

It could totally have been some sort of malware, just from a different site. I have this one thing on my comp right now that is driving me crazy where it keeps trying to reset my homepage to this sales fake search engine thing. My anti-spyware stuff stops it from doing the reset, but it keeps popping a window up to tell me something is trying to reset it and do I want to. People who email me viruses on purpose really piss me off though.
    I had the very same problem for awhile... but I switched from Norton System Works 2004 to System Mechanic Pro 5 with Kaspersky Anti-Hacker and Kaspersky Anti-Virus, to be honest, I've used Norton products for many years... on both my personal and professional computers and System Mechanic beats the shit out of Norton hands down... on the first run of it after uninstalling Norton, it found close to 100 virus and other threats that Norton never did.

I use HiJackThis, Ad-Aware SE (6 is no longer supported), Spy Bouncer, XP-AntiSpy, Window Washer 5, Registry Mechanic as well as an lengthy HOSTS file to block unwanted ads and sites.... even with being on dialup there are still asshats who attempt to fuck with my machine, not to mention all the malious code hidden in sites gets worse every day.

I have this one thing on my comp right now that is driving me crazy where it keeps trying to reset my homepage to this sales fake search engine thing.
    I assume you've run the required checks with Spybot and/or Adaware? If not, that'd be a good plan. If so and it hasn't helped any, then I'd recommend giving AVG a shot. Not only is it free, it's also a pretty solid app and hasn't failed me yet.

True. I occasionally get home page switches due to odd pop-ups that force a change when u click a "delete" which in facts opens another pop-up. I only wondered after u mentioned that as my comp crashed with the spooky hotties window (among others) open. Any emailed virus can actually be tracked, it is a pain in the ass to bother however.

OEC

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

WTF is wrong with people?

hand a stick of dynamite and a box of matches to an eleven year old boy. then see how long before he lights the fuse.

he doesn't need to blow anything up. he does it because it's there in his hands, an extension of power, and if there's one thing that unites ninety-nine and a half percent of the world today, it's feeling powerless.

personally, i deal with feelings of inadequacy by taunting the ants that infest my back yard; leaving caches of sugar for them, then moving the food further and further away until all of them are busy running back and forth.

oh, and playing Starcraft with the invulnerability cheat on.

+ Reply to Thread