+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10 Days Back...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default 10 Days Back...

About 10 days ago something happened that I pretty much did not want to accept. One of the greatest astist ever to put pen to page passed away at 87...his name was Will Eisner. He is considered one of the greatest comic artist ever for more reasons than I could ever do justice to in explaining. But to simplify...he took the artform in places on a genius could. While that terms gets thrown around a lot...he was the real thing. He knew the artform like few else and his artwork was not only beautiful but he was able to make a page look so alive it was difficult to look away. He made graphic novels what they are today and his Spirit strip and comics are some of the most finely crafted peices of comic art ever made...the layouts alone inspire many to this day and will continue well past my own death.

Now the reason the passing hurts a bit more than usual is that he was almost like a grandfather figure to many comic artists...even if you never meet him he had this way of making the poffession, art, and community feel worthwhile and important. He was the kind of person who's work inspired you to make your own mark not copy anothers. At times both comforting and sad his images and stories brought such humanity and vision to what has traditionally been an artform for gags and jokes that it essentuially grew up with him.

As he aged and the artform matured he became MORE relavent and important...now that's just rare no matter the profession. It's sad to see him pass on with the artform still in need of his eye and thoughts. Thankfully he left behind a wealth of commentary and guidence on the subject and work that is still fresh and fun.

Next time you hit a comic shop or book store pick up one of his books...if you're an old fan...well then all I said is nothing new to you but do your part and pass on one of his books to one unfamiliar.

May he rest in peace.

Official Site: http://www.willeisner.com/

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Default Re: 10 Days Back...

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    About 10 days ago something happened that I pretty much did not want to accept...
    Eisner was a deity. he really stuck it up the assholes who said "comics aren't cinematic". console yourself with the knowledge that Jean Giraud is still alive and actively involved in making films.

i'm hanging out for an animated TV series based on "The Airtight Garage". heh. man, that would mess with a lot of minds.

Stoe Orkeo!

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

i swear i know that name, it sounds soo familier.........im almost sure that i've read some of his comics..........always sad to see an artist go ...........real artist seem to be harder and harder to come by these days............

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

aw, that sucks. I hadn't heard abou that. he pursued what he loved with a passion, and in his older years, a dedication that was unrivaled by many an artist far younger than him, and he always had a smile on his face and a great outlook on life.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

What I really loved about him is that he shared his knowledge like few artists ever really do and he did so in a way that didn't feel like you had to climb Everest to understand. He never simplified things but he had such a mastery of how to explain things. The only one alive now that is able to do the same thing in regards to comics is Scott McCloud.

+ Reply to Thread