+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Torchwood Season 2 Very Out on DVD

Default Torchwood Season 2 Very Out on DVD

Torchwood season two came out on DVD last week. A lot of you have probably been watching it on BBC America, but, if you've missed this Doctor Who spin-off for adult fen, I definitely...
    Read the full article

Default Re: Torchwood Season 2 Very Out on DVD

Thank you for a rather amusing spin on the DW series as well as the TW one. I do, however, wonder why not mention that Jack's shagging his 'assitent' and that they've had several make-out sessions on the show, especially on series 2? And I'm with you, it's a refreshing angle that it's not aimed at 11 year old boys -- though they watch it happily as well in the UK, and it's not always the watershed/slightly watered down version for the kids they watch.

Also, Jack's never been limited to being bi. He'll hit on anything, including alien life forms as well as androids/robots which he did on the DW episodes.
    Last edited by ximeria; 09-29-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: just to add

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by ximeria
    Thank you for a rather amusing spin on the DW series as well as the TW one. I do, however, wonder why not mention that Jack's shagging his 'assitent' and that they've had several make-out sessions on the show, especially on series 2? And I'm with you, it's a refreshing angle that it's not aimed at 11 year old boys -- though they watch it happily as well in the UK, and it's not always the watershed/slightly watered down version for the kids they watch.

Also, Jack's never been limited to being bi. He'll hit on anything, including alien life forms as well as androids/robots which he did on the DW episodes.

Glad to be of service.

Definitely omnisexual, but I think Jack's a lil prejudiced against aliens. With all human life forms, sex is definitely his first thought. With aliens, I think it is like third or fourth on his list of considerations

Is there a slightly censored/bleeped version of Torchwood broadcast in the UK for some audiences?

I know a lot of people are really into Jack and Ianto's relationship. Ianto is hot and everything, especially with his suits in Season 1, but I kind of feel like Captain John Hart is a more suitable partner for Captain Jack. I mean, yeah, a lot of dudes fuck their secretaries and often are genuinely fond of them, but it is still fucking the secretary. Plus Jack just seems like the kind of guy, where, if he were in your circle of friends, he would have had a dalliance with everyone at some point, so no specific stop on the route to doing everyone you know would be that significant.

Or maybe I just like Jack being constantly on the make and not potentially in a relationship.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Harkness is the FIRST out LGBT character is science fiction. A first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Harkness is the FIRST out LGBT character is science fiction. A first.

How are we defining science fiction for this purpose? 'Cause, uhm, while I think the show is excellent at putting those themes in, without making it fail as SF. . . I've come across boys who do boys and girls who do girls and folks who do everyone in SF before. Maybe I just have a really pervy media shelf.

Sorry, in a mainstream SF show.

Sorry, in a mainstream SF show.

Certainly for US airing, I'd have to agree that Torchwood makes clear what other shows have hinted at. Honestly, even on Doctor Who, I thought it was patently obvious that the Doctor, Rose, and Jack were having threesomes, but apparently a lot of people interpreted that as just sexual tension. I think there have been a lot of gay or bi or nonspecifically-oriented characters in movie and television science fiction, but I can't think of another example of TV-aired boy/boy kissing.

I just get jumpy about declaring firsts, as so often that gets thrown around in our particular bailiwick by people who are not mistaken but rather balls-out lying.

Hinted at is one thing, though I never saw Dave Tennant's Doctor as being one of those.

Jack is outright out. And a GOOD LOOKING man to boot.

Hinted at is one thing, though I never saw Dave Tennant's Doctor as being one of those.

Jack is outright out. And a GOOD LOOKING man to boot.

Did you think the Doctor was not doing him and Rose both?

I mean, I think he was in a Relationship with a capital R with Rose and just having fun with Jack. But that is not uncommon for threesomes. Certainly, I know a ton of chicks who only have Relationships with men, but often invite another girl to have regular sex with them and their man.

Or did you mean that you thought the Doctor more than hinted?

I don't think there was anything there with Jack at all. I'm confused.

until the new series it was pretty much understood that the Doctor considered sex with humans to be pretty much the same as we'd consider having sex with barn yard animals.

the original Doctor did have a human seeming grand daughter though.

He was human seeming himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    until the new series it was pretty much understood that the Doctor considered sex with humans to be pretty much the same as we'd consider having sex with barn yard animals.

the original Doctor did have a human seeming grand daughter though.
    Davies did take some liberties, but I enjoy his take. Maybe the Doc is a sheepfucker?

Jack can travel the universe w/o a TARDIS. Why be so worked up with no romance involved?

Did you think the Doctor was not having a thing with Rose Tyler?

Enjoy:

Dead Ringers parody of Torchwood
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKrEnBmST00

Dead Ringers parody of Capt. Jack
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJuJBKbexl0

I thought he was having it off with Rose, yeah. But not that I'd mind the doc being bi, it seemed to not be in the script implied or otherwise.

The dude who does Baker is damn good. Try this with the video hidden - try to make out who is who

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9zWu...eature=related

I thought he was having it off with Rose, yeah. But not that I'd mind the doc being bi, it seemed to not be in the script implied or otherwise.

I think if you lived for hundreds of years and your partners did not, you might develop some commitment issues. But I think you'd get over any squeamishness about limited cultural biases on specific sex acts.

I thought the interplay between the characters was totally that they were involved in that way with one another. I mean, Rose kinda picks Jack up like a girl would pick up a hot guy in a bar (or stolen spaceship) to bring back to home (or TARDIS) for some fun with the main man.

Oh, I agree. I just didn't see it in his portrayal, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Davies did take some liberties, but I enjoy his take. Maybe the Doc is a sheepfucker?

Jack can travel the universe w/o a TARDIS. Why be so worked up with no romance involved?

Did you think the Doctor was not having a thing with Rose Tyler?
    I am unqualified to speak about the new series having only seen small bits, and such.

In the old show though, through his various incarnations he went from barely tolerating humans, to being amused by our antics, back to barely tolerating us, and so forth.

I used to watch alot of Who.

I'm not thrilled by alot of things I've heard about the new show, but eveyone who's seen it has good things to say so...

Oh, I agree. I just didn't see it in his portrayal, is all.

Jack Harkness/Rose Tyler Kiss
    Jack Harkness/Doctor Nine Kiss

Rose Tyler/Doctor Ten kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I am unqualified to speak about the new series having only seen small bits, and such.

In the old show though, through his various incarnations he went from barely tolerating humans, to being amused by our antics, back to barely tolerating us, and so forth.

I used to watch alot of Who.

I'm not thrilled by alot of things I've heard about the new show, but eveyone who's seen it has good things to say so...

Honestly, I'd be surprised if people who really liked the old show loved the new one. I was not particularly enamored of the old show, so I really like the new one. Like Torchwood better though, especially since the Doctor lost Rose. I hear Martha Jones is on a lot of Torchwood Season 3 though, so I may eat those words.

Everyone who's seen it tells me they love it.

*shrug*

It was a kids show not a soap opera, so love/sex wasn't a factor. (Although gruesome death often was.)

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Does Buffy count as sci-fi? That was lesbo-palooza for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    Does Buffy count as sci-fi? That was lesbo-palooza for a while.

Buffy counts as sci-fi but chicks together are just waiting for me so it does not count.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Is there a slightly censored/bleeped version of Torchwood broadcast in the UK for some audiences?
    Yes - it's originally broadcast around 9pm, but repeated a few days later in the early evening, so a few minutes of footage are sometimes cut. However the edits so far have only been for violence and language - Jack's dalliances are left in. The BBC doesn't bleep drama VTs.

According to Steve, Torchwood is effectively the stuff that he couldn't put into Who because it broadcasts early evening. It's the adult third of the show, Who in the middle and Sarah Jane Adventures for the kiddies. The sex thing doesn't bother anyone - the adult issues the Beeb prefers to air at night are storyline based. British TV audiences have no problem with sex and tits during your dinner, but God help you if you mention animal cruelty, torture or **** (all of which figure in TW2). Gwen's got a mouth on her at times too...

The original TW concept wasn't floated for John B, but rather as a platform for Eve Myles (one of the close-knit group round here who made a brief appearance in Who season 1 and got noticed for it). The end of Exit Wounds is a little more predictable once you consider that.

Martha and Mickey may (or may not.. he says carefully avoiding being accused of spoilers) drop in for the last 2 episodes of TW3, which is effectively a single storyline in 5 parts rather than the new-alien-each-week formula of Who and TW to-date. Don't expect TW4.

Peon

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Don't expect TW4.
    Really? I'd read a few things from various sources (including Barrowman and one or two of the producers) that said that such a thing would likely be in the offing. Has something changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird Song
    Really? I'd read a few things from various sources (including Barrowman and one or two of the producers) that said that such a thing would likely be in the offing. Has something changed?

If it is a super spoiler, please start a new thread called something like Torchwood Season 4 Spoilers and link to it from here, rather than putting it in this thread. Thanks

Peon

If it is a super spoiler, please start a new thread called something like Torchwood Season 4 Spoilers and link to it from here, rather than putting it in this thread. Thanks
    I do apologize. I didn't know that I should do that when asking a direct question in response to something already posted on the thread. I am both confused and chagrined.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird Song
    I do apologize. I didn't know that I should do that when asking a direct question in response to something already posted on the thread. I am both confused and chagrined.

No need for apology at all. It is not like a rule or anything.

I was just asking Mindgames to please post any uber-spoiler in a second thread, but it is not like there is some complex etiquette structure here you are supposed to follow on that or anything

This episode is where I first noticed the Jack/Rose/Doctor dynamic:

Watch the first 1:50 of this and tell me they haven't gotten awfully close awfully quickly (Capt. Jack came into The Doctor and Rose's lives right before this episode). Plus, see how Mickey seems to sense immediately that something might be up between Jack and Rose, and the cute banter between Jack and The Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by batzilla
    This episode is where I first noticed the Jack/Rose/Doctor dynamic:

Watch the first 1:50 of this and tell me they haven't gotten awfully close awfully quickly (Capt. Jack came into The Doctor and Rose's lives right before this episode). Plus, see how Mickey seems to sense immediately that something might be up between Jack and Rose, and the cute banter between Jack and The Doctor.

We so have to hang out in person next time I'm in the area.

Rose Tyler/Doctor Ten kiss
    *coughhackcough* not to be too nerdy but if I recall correctly (as youtube refuses to work for me right now) that scene doesn't show a Rose/Ten kiss. It shows someone else snogging the crap out of Ten while she's using Rose's body. Not that it really matters as Rose would have loved to snog him like that, no doubt.

I wanna cuddle the shit outta Batzilla, for the record. I'll second the cool person to hang out with meme.

I wanna cuddle the shit outta Batzilla, for the record. I'll second the cool person to hang out with meme.
    I'll take care of the cuddling of Batzilla, thanks. I'll also manage to make it not creepy.

Oh, well, if I'm creepy, I rescind all offers.

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

my fave quote by captain jack from finale of season 4 of current doctor who
    "I can't tell you what I'm thinking right now"

We so have to hang out in person next time I'm in the area.
    Hecks yeah! I <3 your writing.

Oh, well, if I'm creepy, I rescind all offers.
    For the record, BP, I did not find your comment creepy. I took it in the spirit in which it was intended, which was that you liked my post.

Quote Originally Posted by batzilla
    I took it in the spirit in which it was intended, which was that you liked my post.
    The spirit in which it was intended was an offer to cuddle you. Sheesh.

+ Reply to Thread