+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are you judgmental?

Mother Superior

Default Are you judgmental?

Some people also call it being "opinionated". If you see someone wearing what you would consider to be a ridiculous outfit or a unique hairstyle, do you stare at them or do you just think these thoughts to yourself? A friend confides in you, do you judge them on their words and actions or stay neutral about the conversation and try to give the best advice you can? Personally, I don't give any advice unless asked, even then I tread lightly. As for the judging people, that is another thing I try not to do, of course we are human and have thoughts but to me thinking something to yourself is entirely different than staring or just plain being rude to someone.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Default Re: Are you judgmental?

I think not giving advice unless you are solicited as such is a good rule (just my two cents).

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Advice is one thing, the person asking for your advice is asking for your opinion, for you to judge the situation. The only people I "judge" in my head are the people who are 10 sizes to big to be wearing a tube top and do it any way. How could those people look in the mirror and say to themselves "I look good. I think I'll leave the house this way"?
    K

Hula Hoop Supervisor

To a degree you have to be. The phrase I hated the most was the whole "You can't judge me, you don't know me" and the mentality it ties into.

None of us have the time to get to know everybody and their life story so you have make judgement calls on the little info you have at the time.

Some person may be great in the eyes of those that know him/her well...but if they act like a jerk to me...damned well better believe I think of them as a total jerk...and changing my opinion on that would be up to THEM...no way am I going to try and "Figure a person out" who behaves badly to strangers or a person they were just introduced too.

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I'm way more judgmental than i ought to be in my head, but i have learned to keep it to myself. I believe it to be a flaw, except in cases so aptly desrcibed above by TZ.

~Histrionica~

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

Yes, as TZ said it's hard to have the time and energy to completely know everybody. I judge strangers on whatever behavior they show rather than the way they dress though. However, if the person is actually as stupid as they dress upon first impression, I'll just consider them stupid-- unless they change my mind somehow.

+ Reply to Thread