+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's your favorite US city?

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

Default What's your favorite US city?

My girlfriend and I are relocating, so I'm interested in learning about places I haven't been.

Default Re: What's your favorite US city?

After touring the nation a few times, I'd have to say it's a toss up between Los Angeles and San Francisco... I grew up with diversity in L.A. and the beach and to be away from both leaves me jonesin. Any city in humid weather is teh suck after time even if I did enjoy visiting them.

Sure L.A. has changed, so has S.F. but even compared to Seattle or Portland (other nice cities), it all comes down to Zuma Beach

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bat
    After touring the nation a few times, I'd have to say it's a toss up between Los Angeles and San Francisco... I grew up with diversity in L.A. and the beach and to be away from both leaves me jonesin. Any city in humid weather is teh suck after time even if I did enjoy visiting them.

Sure L.A. has changed, so has S.F. but even compared to Seattle or Portland (other nice cities), it all comes down to Zuma Beach

Good luck!
    I've loved San Francisco every time I've visited; I'm scheduled to do my first LA trip in about three weeks. They're both definitely on our list of possibilities, although I do worry that the rent in LA might be way out of our price range.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

memphis is nice in parts,
    if you like blues music you should check out beale. plus sunshine records is a cool spot to visit and midtown area is full of pubs, bars and coffeehouses and even has a portion that has cobblestone sidewalks.

i'd recommend stay away form elvis presley blvd. thuogh come night fall cus that's where the crackheads and hookers tend to hang out.

jacksonville is pretty fun too or atleast the parts i saw. mostly the beach side and five points district. if you go there you should definately check out club five, it is epic!

my personal favorite place used to be central phoenix cus of the gay district but i havent been down there since they started and finished light rail construction and the homeless have gotten pretty hostile from what i've heard due to the economy.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

I'd be tempted to recommend the city of my birth - Madison, WI - except that they only have two seasons up there: Winter and Road Construction.

DJ Bat already plugged two of my favorites; I'm quite in love with the Pacific Northwest! Seattle and Portland are both fabulous artist-havens; Seattle is like Los Angeles only with street cred, and Portland is like Seattle sans the pretension. I don't plan on moving anywhere else anytime soon, and that's a bold statement from someone who's lived his entire life with the Travel Bug's teeth lodged in his ass.

I took a trip to Madison, Wi recently and it was absolutely beautiful.

Since I'm from Texas I'll probably have to go with Austin as my favorite U.S city, always something to do and good food.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

only place I've been that I can really recall is Knoxville............I liked it, but that was a long time ago so it might be different now

wouldnt mind seeing boston or salem.pennsylvania is pretty too. pittsburgh reminds me of gotham city a little and punxetawney is real quaint.
    drove through it coming into and going out of new york.

Quote Originally Posted by Aza
    I'd be tempted to recommend the city of my birth - Madison, WI - except that they only have two seasons up there: Winter and Road Construction.

DJ Bat already plugged two of my favorites; I'm quite in love with the Pacific Northwest! Seattle and Portland are both fabulous artist-havens; Seattle is like Los Angeles only with street cred, and Portland is like Seattle sans the pretension. I don't plan on moving anywhere else anytime soon, and that's a bold statement from someone who's lived his entire life with the Travel Bug's teeth lodged in his ass.
    Hmm...artists havens are awesome, except that I'd probably have a hard time finding work-part of what was nice about DC is that there's a metric fuckton of bored people with lots of disposable income to spend on models. I'm visiting Portland in a couple of weeks though, and depending on how the trip goes it may get added to the list!

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

I love Portland, and I didn't spend much time there but Savannah seemed really nice also

Greenacres, FL. We even have our own target. Plus all the racially motivated crime you can shake a stick at.

New Orleans / Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Evans
    I'm visiting Portland in a couple of weeks though, and depending on how the trip goes it may get added to the list!
    K and I would love to hang out if you've got free time. Keep us posted!

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

Yes, move to San Francisco!!

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Maybe it's just because it's where I've spent most of my life and I'm kind of bias, but Chicago. If you like sports at all, they've got every major one to go to, and tickets are always cheap. Plenty of bars everywhere, and it is pretty nice to look at in a lot of areas. Also, very good public transportation system, you can literally get just about everywhere by train or bus, but once you get to the burbs you're pretty much on your own.

Other than that, I also like Austin. 6th Street is nothing but bars for the most part, and then there's (I think) 8th street that has a bunch of bars that are meant for the more matured crowd and is less rowdy (but who would want that?)

Plus, both places are huge areas for concerts, although Austin gets skipped alot on big tours/festivals, but it's only 3 hours from Dallas and San Antonio. It depends on your music scene though, Chicago is still pretty heavy with punk and metal, while Austin/Texas is mostly metal or country.

oh man! chicago is awesome! i didnt get to spend so much time there as i was in great mistakes most of my time in illinois but it's got some beautiful architecture too

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Seattle, Portland, New Orleans, Memphis, New York City, Boston, Milwaukee (believe it or not ---- really cool old architecture there) or you can always help Detroit rebuild - lots of decaying Gothic architecture at bargain basement prices.

Oh man...every time I've been to Chicago, it was awful! I'm from south Georgia, I just can't take that much cold!

Aza, I will definitely keep you posted!

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

So maybe you shouldn't go in the winter then?

I've lived in both San Francisco and Portland and I recommend them both heartily. I just came back from vending Vampire's Masquerade Ball in Portland and fell in love with the city all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by mirandaluna
    I just came back from vending Vampire's Masquerade Ball in Portland and fell in love with the city all over again.
    Yeah yeah, rub it in; I had to miss it this year. Lack of funds and costumes made for an event-free weekend. However, K and I will be attending the Induviae Gothic Fashion Show on April 11th... the anniversary of her appearance at the top of that escalator in the SeaTac Airport baggage claim!

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

-nashville, tn
    -atlanta, ga
    -charelston, sc
    -birmingham, al
    -little rock, ar

those are just the southern cities.......

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

I guess it depends on what kind of environment you prefer.

Fast paced....Manhattan,NY
    Easy going....Tampa,FL

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    So maybe you shouldn't go in the winter then?
    I'm freelance, I have to go when people will pay me!

Seattle, San Fran, Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenWK
    Yes, move to San Francisco!!
    It's starting to look like Philly-it's the closest major city we have friends who can help us find a place in. But we are visiting San Francisco April 26-30 and we must hang out!

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I'm partial to the West Coast, despite living the Mid-West at the moment. But I say San Francisco is a great city.

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Evans
    It's starting to look like Philly-it's the closest major city we have friends who can help us find a place in. But we are visiting San Francisco April 26-30 and we must hang out!
    I thought you hated the cold? Philly gets mega cold! Hang outs are definitely in order, when you come. <3

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

Seattle is amazing, full of art, music, diversity, great social programs, fantastic local food, and amazing people....but besides all the rain, it doesnt warm up beyond 60 degrees. most of the year. (there is a month or two where it stays in the 70s and peaks at 90. Best wages in the country (if I am not mistaken)
    Portland is very similar, but the standard of living is not quite as good.

If you have sustainable income, the central coast of California (San Luis Obispo area) is littered with some of the most amazing little towns with absolutely gorgeous landcapes of anywhere I have been in the states.

+ Reply to Thread