+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the new joker looks like crap

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default the new joker looks like crap

was bored so i thought id look up piccys for new bat-man flick and gotta say the inerpretation theyre doing of the clown prince o crime sucks ass.

it's heath ledger playin him and he doesn't have the infamous green hair or "permaclown" face anymore. this time around he looks lke he paints white grease painton his face and big red liptick which covers these huge gnarly gashes on both sides of his face. he looks like a transvestite version of seal.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

Default Re: the new joker looks like crap

nobody could ever live up to jack nicholson.

hell, jack nicholson barely can

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    nobody could ever live up to jack nicholson.

hell, jack nicholson barely can

i read somewhere that the new joker was going to be more vanilla-psychotic, less... erm... jokery. yet, imdb says that the guy who originally created the joker was brought in as a consultant. hopefully he kept them loyal, though he probably didnt have a lot of power. hmm.
    found it:
    How will the Joker differ from previous on-screen portrayals?
    The Joker is expected to be more sinister and less of an eccentric prankster in The Dark Knight. His origin may or may not be explained, and the general assumption is that the Joker will not die as in past film representations. A "direct translation" from the comics is not expected, though certain character elements from the aforementioned source material will likely be incorporated. A recently released pic of Heath Ledger in the Joker makeup shows him with what looks like a "Glasgow grin" or "Chelsea Smile", where the sides of his lips have been cut to make the smile wider, leaving a scar on each side. However, it is much more likely this is a result of the Joker's creation as explained in The Killing Joke - already linked to the movie. On top of this is the trademark red paint, though not by any means as neat and clean cut as past iterations

EDIT: The Joker's performance, as stated by Heath Ledger will be closer to Alex DeLarge from "A Clockwork Orange", rather than the '89 version of the Joker. Heath has stated he's going for the eyes(as mentioned in the question above) and is looking to do something completely different with the role
    "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

"do something different with the role"???......I guess heath ledger doesn't care much for comic books

i repeat: transvetite seal.

Didn't know seals liked to cross-dress:p!!!! LOL

Amazing the things one learns every day.

I guess it is time to get my nerd on.

I love batman, and the joker. I liked Jack Nicholson, even though he was more Nicholson than the Joker. Mark Hamill had the best laugh for the joker. When the writers wanted him to be scary he was. Cesar Romero's over the top of the top portrayal of the clown prince of crime is still seared into my brain. Even Kevin Richardson's dreadlocked leaping joker is the highpoint of an otherwise uneventful cartoon.

The point is, the joker is 67 years old, he has been written by dozens of writers. He has been sinister, comical, and down right psychotic. He got his start as just an odd looking killer. Sure his infamous strychnine smile and pale skin were usually a constant, but the character doesn't need them. This new take is likely just to get away from the silliness, and it could be cool.

Besides, everyone said Jack would suck as the joker, thisa could be good.

Our Elven Prionnsa

...mm, urgh.

I went and looked at some of the images of the new Dark Knight Joker, and I can't say that I really like the direction that they're going with this. The whole deformed scars on the sides of his lips just don't reflect to me the character of the Joker. I think, probably, because the first that came to mind when I saw that was, "The Carver did it better," (From Nip/Tuck) and that's an absolutely terrible reason for a comparison.

I really don't mind when the Joker's portrayal varies. More eclectic toymaker gone wacko, more sinister totally psychotic? I don't mind. If they wanted to create a Jason Vorheese horror character, here we go! But Batman villains are uniquely comic-book villains who quirk towards the flamboyant, even when they're sister, horrible, and psychotic.

I suppose I'm going to try my best not to pre-judge. The first movie, I thought, actually an extremely good job of re-visioning the story into a more sinister, dark aspect... It's just really hard to separate myself from the nostalgia.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

christian slater would have made a nifty joker of course the movie joker is always too evil for a harley quinn who could be samantha mathis

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    . Sure his infamous strychnine smile and pale skin were usually a constant, but the character doesn't need them. This new take is likely just to get away from the silliness, and it could be cool.

of course without the smile and skin and hair he would still be the red hood

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    of course without the smile and skin and hair he would still be the red hood
    BINGO! i'm glad someone else remembered the red hoo besides m! i ean, they actually had to redo that stry recently in the dcverse just so peope wuld remember it.

exactly......the whole point of the red hood origin is to clearly state that the joker isn't just a criminal but one that's been seriously altered by toxic chemicals

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Dude looks like Brandon Lee as the Crow.

yeah i saw that one too. dont get me wrong, heath ledger is fuckin hot! i'd give my left hand to go "camping" with him and have him pop up in my tent to keep me warm but sexy isnt the joker, he's psychotic and somewhat of a calculated genius as well and honestly,it's not the joker without the look you take the look away and you end up wit arnold scwarzeneger in a metallic bodysuit with flashing blue lights and cheesy one liners..oh! and i remember cesar romero too as the joker. i thought it as fascinating ho even with all the wite paint they plastered n him, they still couldnt wash out his fuckin moustache lol

bah, only just got a proper look at the promo pics of the new joker. he just looks like hes smeared flour over his face and tried to put on lipstick during an epileptic fit.

probably while tuckin his wang betwixt his legs and singin along to goodbye horses......
    batman(i well):please1 let me go! please!
    "joker":it puts the lotion into the basket or it gets another bad franchise again!

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    bah, only just got a proper look at the promo pics of the new joker. he just looks like hes smeared flour over his face and tried to put on lipstick during an epileptic fit.
    that's about it......leave it to people to try and improve something they really have no interest in

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    that's about it......leave it to people to try and improve something they really have no interest in
    Haven't seen the previews, and don't think I will, as was never a huge Batman fan to start.

But, I think Mr. Karl hit it right on the head here, and that it also holds true for the vast majority of re-makes.

Too often, the producers, writers and directors of most re-makes will throw a few new bells and whistles onto the project they are re-doing, and completely ignore the spirit of the original they're attempting to copy.

The results then usually end up being neither fish nor fowl, please almost no one, and ensure that, once all the initial fuss has died down, the re-make is justly forgotten.

an if you thinkjoker is ad, wait till you see batman's new getup. it's uber padded with theseweird little honeycomb shaped thingys and they have a whiteoutline around them.

atleast ironman's armor looks cool. lol

+ Reply to Thread