+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MistressJennifer

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default MistressJennifer

You have a band in NYC... quick question....

what does your drummer do?

I'm potentially looking at living in that area, and I play drums, which means the whole notion of sharing an apt. is out since noone allows drums in an apt.

Are there industrial lofts for share musicians move into?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: MistressJennifer

NYC is crazy expensive. Figure out what seems like crazy money as incentive to move there and then require double that to actually do it.

Well, where I'm at now is this:

there is no work in the United States. I have tried every city from here to Florida, and people are laying off, not hiring. I have an opportunity in NYC but it's much less money than I was making.

But I'd rather be broke than homeless, yeah?

MistressJennifer's Avatar Senior Member

You should listen to Amelia, it is VERY expensive in NYC, and very hard to even find a place to live... I stopped performing live with a real drummer about 10 years ago. Now when we perform live in NYC or London (and it has been a while since we have performed live, because they don't pay bands anymore), we did a live performance to a CD track, and I would sing over an intrumental track WITH drums already put on...

You have to realize that ALL of the rock clubs in NYC have closed down, CBGB'S is no more, it's a rap era.... I mean, if you want to play drums live with some rap artist I think you might have a real chance, because that's where all the money is... I would LOVE to say yes, come to NYC, play in my band, we'll all be happy and make a fortune and travel the world on private jets, but DALLING, IT'S JUST NOT THAT WAY ANYMORE.... Re-read Amelia's post. If I were you I would go home to the UK and have a Guinness and some bangers and mash and try to join Paul McCartney's live show...

Dude, only job I have is NYC. It's that or stay unemployed. I have no choice in the matter.

I see houseshares/apt shares for $550. I know it's expensive an area to live, but have no real options.

Oh, and I play bop. I play for myself, not interested in it as a living, but if you want a drummer, sure I can fill in.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MistressJennifer
    You should listen to Amelia, it is VERY expensive in NYC, and very hard to even find a place to live... I stopped performing live with a real drummer about 10 years ago. Now when we perform live in NYC or London (and it has been a while since we have performed live, because they don't pay bands anymore), we did a live performance to a CD track, and I would sing over an intrumental track WITH drums already put on...

You have to realize that ALL of the rock clubs in NYC have closed down, CBGB'S is no more, it's a rap era.... I mean, if you want to play drums live with some rap artist I think you might have a real chance, because that's where all the money is... I would LOVE to say yes, come to NYC, play in my band, we'll all be happy and make a fortune and travel the world on private jets, but DALLING, IT'S JUST NOT THAT WAY ANYMORE.... Re-read Amelia's post. If I were you I would go home to the UK and have a Guinness and some bangers and mash and try to join Paul McCartney's live show...
    haha well let me know when you're ready to play Minneapolis. Fame is so 90s but they'll give us all the Guinness we want

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Dude, only job I have is NYC. It's that or stay unemployed. I have no choice in the matter.

I see houseshares/apt shares for $550. I know it's expensive an area to live, but have no real options.
    Gee BP, I live in NYC you could have always asked me what's reasonable rent wise...

...the question is WHERE your $550 roommate situation is. What neighborhood, and such?

$550 maybe might get you a nice room somewhere in brooklyn, the bronx, staten island or queens... or it might get you a cubby hole, and a shared bunk bed in a walk in closet somewhere in manhattan.

Most of nuuuu yooork is all safe, and friendly now, but there are still some hot spots, and more likely down the pike as the economy tanks more, and more, that's I'd avoid.

You could easily be paying $1500 for a shared roommate situation in some neighborhoods in brooklyn too though...

A friend of mine pays $2600+ a month for a single bedroom in manhattan, and I just heard about a loft that goes for $30,000 a month.... another friend of mine is paying $800 for a room. in astoria queens, and considers himself luck since he just escaped a rat/roach motel in a drug/violence prone section of brooklyn that he was splitting for $975 for his half...

You can find deals though depending on what kind of situation you're willing to deal with. I was just offered a room in the same astoria neighborhood as my friend for $300 to live with another friend and his mom... but even thought that'd knock some money off my monthly, I just can't live with someone else's mom... I ain't 19, it's not going to happen...

Yep NYC is great c'mon over... it is a test of what you're willing to put up with though, endurance, and persistence are the keys... hahaha.... I couch surfed for 4 years when I first got here, no shit. Got my current room as a favor to an underworld/criminal type guy who needed me to look after the situation for him...that ended, and now it's mine.

Good luck dude, think carefully about what you're willing to put up with, and can handle in terms of roommate situations, and daily human contact, because NYC will put you through it all. :

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I can't imagine how moving to NYC can better your money situation. Yes, the pay scale is better, but friggin' expensive to live there.

I suppose the job opportunity would be better also, since the city is huge, but that depends on what job you're looking for and what payscale you're expecting to make.

I also can't imagine what $550.00 is gonna get you. Even in a shared room rental, that sounds cheap....Unless your room consists of the bathroom floor.

But I guess that would still be better than being homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    Gee BP, I live in NYC you could have always asked me what's reasonable rent wise...

...the question is WHERE your $550 roommate situation is. What neighborhood, and such?

$550 maybe might get you a nice room somewhere in brooklyn, the bronx, staten island or queens... or it might get you a cubby hole, and a shared bunk bed in a walk in closet somewhere in manhattan.

Most of nuuuu yooork is all safe, and friendly now, but there are still some hot spots, and more likely down the pike as the economy tanks more, and more, that's I'd avoid.

You could easily be paying $1500 for a shared roommate situation in some neighborhoods in brooklyn too though...

A friend of mine pays $2600+ a month for a single bedroom in manhattan, and I just heard about a loft that goes for $30,000 a month.... another friend of mine is paying $800 for a room. in astoria queens, and considers himself luck since he just escaped a rat/roach motel in a drug/violence prone section of brooklyn that he was splitting for $975 for his half...

You can find deals though depending on what kind of situation you're willing to deal with. I was just offered a room in the same astoria neighborhood as my friend for $300 to live with another friend and his mom... but even thought that'd knock some money off my monthly, I just can't live with someone else's mom... I ain't 19, it's not going to happen...

Yep NYC is great c'mon over... it is a test of what you're willing to put up with though, endurance, and persistence are the keys... hahaha.... I couch surfed for 4 years when I first got here, no shit. Got my current room as a favor to an underworld/criminal type guy who needed me to look after the situation for him...that ended, and now it's mine.

Good luck dude, think carefully about what you're willing to put up with, and can handle in terms of roommate situations, and daily human contact, because NYC will put you through it all. :

I was looking outside the city - somewhere you can park a car on the street. Fairfield County? Jersey City?

Bedlamite

Don't... GO to NYC.

Not for music work. Just don't. Please. Alot of the work has moved elsewhere. Honestly if you really want to work in music go on to LA and hide under Amelia's couch.

Good spots for music are Nashville TN(which has a very oddly awesome goth & Rock scene), Minneapolis MN, Austin TX, and of course LA.

There are alot of great things about NYC, and if you want to move there just to move there, do it. But you need to expect to be flipping burgers, not affording your rent, and getting NOWHERE musically.

I was looking outside the city - somewhere you can park a car on the street. Fairfield County? Jersey City?
    Consider the bronx, or staten island then. cheap rent and a short commute.

don't know that much about jersey, friend's brother lived in hoboken, 'reasonable' rent, but it's not going to be that much better than the outer burroughs.

the whole tri-state area ain't that much better.... noooooow, if you're willing to live outside the city though, why not try philidalphia? it's a just a 90min train ride, and rent's gotta be cheaper

food can be a killer in the city too... but you could always live off of dried beans, and never buy anything at a take out place LOL...

anyway, good luck dude.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

i have lots of family in NYC...

if any of y'all are in the area and want to grab a frothy beverage let me know

Most of the people I know in NYC who are not rich still pay around $3,500 a month for a place less than 1,000 sq ft with room for them and maybe a small kids room and a tiny incomplete kitchen.

What do you do for work?

I'm a software engineer, not a musician.

I'm a software engineer, not a musician.
    What is your skill set? A lot of the electronic guys I know do software too. I might have some suggestions.

Java/J2EE, C++.

I just got an email in my inbox from someone --- bulk emailing asking for work. A ten year veteran with J2EE, C++ and Oracle/SQL.

That, my friends is UNHEARD OF.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Java/J2EE, C++.

I just got an email in my inbox from someone --- bulk emailing asking for work. A ten year veteran with J2EE, C++ and Oracle/SQL.

That, my friends is UNHEARD OF.
    mmm... I think that Java has become absurdly complex - ever greater and greater complexity to the point where it's almost unknowable and I apologise to you BP if you do know it these days but geez givis a break Sun. Right Java is "cross-platform" but bleh... you need to be a boffin. I can't interpret it (in joke). Depends on what you're writing for I guess.

The job-market/house vacancies: Fuck it is tough wherever you go I'm seeing. I don't own my own place since I gave it to ex so I'm screwed highly to the point where repairing anything is a luxury and I need to figure something beyond normal salary... sooner than yesterday. There's much to be said about not havin to uproot and go into the gazumping pad bidding war - even in Sydney believe me. It's more absurd than anything previously mentioned.

Good luck with NYC sincerely...and even though the advice seems to be don't go there for musics perhaps there might be something you could whack your pork pie into. For me and my direction: What else is there besides music anyway? Except what you have to do to enable musicing (not counted).

For the last time, I'm not going there to do music. I develop software for a living.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

If anyone wants to play Minneapolis and/or Saint Paul, just contact me. I can get shows going here. We have Voltaire and Creature Feature coming in.

Carolina has something really sweet going also. I want to attend, but the dates make it difficult.

Eccentrik Festival

OEC

Tell me if you decide to try Norway I can hook you up and it's crazy good money. You'll get at least 40$ an hour and rents are around 1000$ a month if you want nice and central own place. Food and necessaries costs me around 600$ a month. That will leave you with at least 3.500$ to spend or save

+ Reply to Thread