+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Creative Process

Default Creative Process

What is your creative process like?

Do you just sit down at your medium of choice and let the ideas flow out of your head?

Do you have any little rituals you like to do before you start working on whatever creative project you are doing?

How long does your creative process last, hours, days, weeks, months?

Are you prone to artistic block?

Do you like pie?

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Creative Process

in order my answers are:

I normally have a basic idea then Ill let it flow from there til it stops, then fine tune it.

Not really, unless you count looking for the stuff I need a ritual

Normally its pretty short, but sometimes I lose track of time and next thing I know its the next day and Im done

Yes very, some times when the ideas stop flowing Im only half way to what I would called finished

And finally Fuck yeah, pie FTW!

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

i sit usually carry a notebook and pens with me wherever i go and sometimes some loose leaf printer paper. but i definately need sugar when im working on something frustrating. sometimes i listen to music,

used to go to strip clubs and for some reason i have to always have a cigarette either lit or in my mouth when im drawing something or painting something.

and controlled noise like the tv or music. if im engage din a conversation i get distracted.

Cool,

Myself, My creative process involves having an idea pop in my head and then I'll spend days thinking about the idea until I finally write it down or draw it on paper. Then I'll spend anywhere from a week to a few months fine-tuning it and if I get lucky it'll come out complete before I get frustrated and forget the entire thing. If I'm really into an idea I'll probably go a day or more forgetting to eat without even realizing it.

I brought the topic up because I realized well re-realized that whenever I'm working on something I tend to pick 1 song and listen to it on repeat for a few hours without even noticing, and I was wondering how everyone else worked and if you guys had any similar rituals, or if I'm the only guy who needs a one song play-list to get his creative mojo flowing.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

My creative process comes at the worst time....When I'm going to sleep. But, in all honesty, it's the only time of the day that I have the time to just let my brain flow freely.

Hard question... actually I never thought of it. But I noticed that when I'm on peak of inspiration it's usually when I', deeply in love or depressed or somehow under influence.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

As K has said it, "I can do anything as long as I'm supposed to be doing something else." Most of my best stories and lyrics were conceived, and in many cases finished, while I was at work.

I can only call my creativity a "process" by its loosest definition, however; my writing seems to write itself. As most of my work is very character-focused, I basically just let my characters act and interact the way they naturally would while subjecting them to the various stimuli supplied by the plot. Writing dialogue is one of my greatest joys in life; I love just setting two or more characters together and seeing where the conversation goes! (Probably the most fun I ever got out of writing was a story I concocted wherein several of my characters from various fictional worlds gather for drinks and proceed to verbally bash their author.)

My toughest point of creative contention comes when I need to supply vivid description while my brain's in the mood to write dialogue, which is why I enjoy screenplays as an occasional supplement to novels and short stories; it's easier to focus on the dialogue and get lazy with descriptions. Block nearly always has a cure that way in another style of writing. If there's something I know I'm supposed to be working on but just can't inspire myself to complete, forcing it won't give me or my readers any satisfaction. I find it better to move on, find something I want to write, and shift my focus for a bit.

Almost needless to say, deadlines and I have a sordid history. I'll meet them if necessary (and if properly paid, I'll even do it with a smile on my face), but I seldom feel that I produce my best writing under pressure.

However, I can eat the HELL out of either blueberry or key lime pie!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm
    i sit usually carry a notebook and pens with me wherever i go and sometimes some loose leaf printer paper. but i definately need sugar when im working on something frustrating. sometimes i listen to music,

used to go to strip clubs and for some reason i have to always have a cigarette either lit or in my mouth when im drawing something or painting something.

and controlled noise like the tv or music. if im engage din a conversation i get distracted.
    Hey Malcom. I've got a silly idea couple days ago. It's a comic. Knowing my self I'll never get even started on it even if I'm drawing pretty good. It's about a blackhead. You can start by drawing a nose. And then zooming in to a small village of blackheads on one side. Followed by a silly story about a quiet little village. Then make a story about rebelious little blackhead that always wondered what's on the other side of the mountain of the goods (nose). Rest is just imagination. His adventures and travels to another side of the mountain. To make it more intriguing and interesting you could symbolize western and eastern world (left and right side of the nose). That's about it. Feel free to develop and do with the idea whatever you want. If you decide to go on and do it I can give you couple more detailed stories.

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

I generally don't sit down hoping something will come to me.... I start doing something when an idea comes to me. The amount of time I spend sewing, writing, sketching, etc. is always different... sometimes a few minutes, sometimes many hours. I hit blocks, sometimes, but I usually don't have a hard time working through them.

I like pumpkin pie.

Yeah.. And I love burek pie.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Hey Malcom. I've got a silly idea couple days ago. It's a comic. Knowing my self I'll never get even started on it even if I'm drawing pretty good. It's about a blackhead. You can start by drawing a nose. And then zooming in to a small village of blackheads on one side. Followed by a silly story about a quiet little village. Then make a story about rebelious little blackhead that always wondered what's on the other side of the mountain of the goods (nose). Rest is just imagination. His adventures and travels to another side of the mountain. To make it more intriguing and interesting you could symbolize western and eastern world (left and right side of the nose). That's about it. Feel free to develop and do with the idea whatever you want. If you decide to go on and do it I can give you couple more detailed stories.
    sounds fun -kinda like zitty smurfs.......

If you're serious about it, i'll be glad to help y on it. but i kinda wanna finish the murder-kitty book up first and im working on a prequel about her evil doll head she gets as well as a story that's kinda hard to explain unless you just think leave it to beaver but done with zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenWK
    I generally don't sit down hoping something will come to me.... I start doing something when an idea comes to me. The amount of time I spend sewing, writing, sketching, etc. is always different... sometimes a few minutes, sometimes many hours. I hit blocks, sometimes, but I usually don't have a hard time working through them.

I like pumpkin pie.
    and pumpkin pie is tha motha fuckin bomb!

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I have no creative process. I'm not really creative. I still like pie though! Can I have a piece or two? Actually, can I have a whole one?

um....no! and that's because you went backsies on your pudding in the other thread lol

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I suppose it depends if I'm on the clock or not

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RnR
    What is your creative process like?

Do you just sit down at your medium of choice and let the ideas flow out of your head?

Do you have any little rituals you like to do before you start working on whatever creative project you are doing?

How long does your creative process last, hours, days, weeks, months?

Are you prone to artistic block?

Do you like pie?
    ================================================== ==

OH TOTALY COOL QUESTION ~ "RnR",..

Uhmm,..well Being an ARTIST/Illustrator,
    and More (*Singer/Actor/Musician/Writer),.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1.} "Do you just sit down at your medium of choice
    and let the ideas flow out of your head?"

~*Well, It depends on IF? i Feel at a moment to Go sit down an' start,
    Or..does a THOUGHT of an Idea/Project/Peice come into my mind
    an' Drive me to grab my materials,..

an' since I am deeply into Many multiple faccets of artistic areas,..
    I Might get an URGE to start a New Drawing,..
    or Set up My Music Rehersal equipment,..
    or Jot down a few new Pages of Dialouge scripting,....
    ..or Throw myself into some New "PROP"
    or "COSTUME" designing/Making Project,..
    or ReOrganizing My WorkShop/Space area(s),......

:[ -------------------------------------------:]

2.} "Do you have any little rituals you like to do before you start working on whatever creative project you are doing?"

~ No, Not really,...
    Other than basically Maybe getting Whatever Materials
    of a paticular project set out/set up,..
    an' maybe pouring a Cup a' Coffee,
    or setting out a snack next to me,...

3.} "How long does your creative process last, hours, days, weeks, months?"

~ Sometimes I GET DRAWN into Whatever
    The THING at the moment might be,
    and TIME has no Existance,..
    ..I May begin a drawing an' what feels like mere moments
    Might be Hours,..
    - othertimes What may Feel like Hours may have been Much less,...
    but Generally IT Lasts' Till Its' Done,..
    n' I'm satisfied with whats' been worked apoun an' finished...
    or Become so Drained out an' tired from My energies focused on it,..

4.} "Are you prone to artistic block?"

~ Noooo, Not Reeeaally,...
    I May just break from stuff for a time
    if? i'm tired or just busy with the Everyday
    "9-5" kind'a dailey things,...

5.} "Do you like pie?"

~ No, not a Big PIE person,..
    I'm a MAJOR "CHOCOHOLIC" though,..
    LOVE CHOCOLATE,...
    I Add "Chocolate syrup" to My coffee too sometimes...
    YUMM!!!!!!!

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

My mind wanders, quite often, so my creative process is going about my daily life until an idea strikes me, then I write it down or try to remember later on and go from there. I have days where everything just flows out of me, and then days where I can't think of anything good to save my life.

FedorasBox's Avatar Member

I wake up and sit at my computer. I retouch images. if I dont feel like doing that, I get up and walk around until I find something to photograph. if that doesnt work, then I write stuff. I love writing about sex and social retards. I use pen and paper. or a typewriter to write. I have never had a block in these 10 years of making shit. woot!

theDragon_svDragcos's Avatar "Vampyre" / Senior Member
    ...~"No where in paticular"~...I've never had any Regular home ~ I moved around a'Lot.

Yeah, When I work on "WRITING" stuff,
    I traditionally use Pen/Paper, ~ Long hand Print.
    I use to get so into that
    ~ it was like I was No longer Physically there
    but INSIDE The Words and Dialouge,..
    (*same with My "Art-work Drawing" too)
    - Wouldn't evan FEEL my hand actually Writing,..
    as IF I Was INSIDE the IMAGRY And WORDS,...
    an' Untill I Actually stopped and pulled back to look at it,...
    DOZENS of Pages in Very "FlOwErY" hand printing
    would be there on the papers'...
    an' I May usually never have felt "Time" passing,..
    as if there were no such thing as "time",..
    ONLY Myself, the Paper an' the words...
    which Came at times without My evan Thinking them out,..
    ~ They Just WERE,..........

toxicat's Avatar catty member

Deadlines really fuel my inspiration, since I apparently have more of an "away from" metaprogram. Also, hypomania...but it's a chicken-egg sort of thing. Hmm...why has the hen never corrected us? Must be the pie.

+ Reply to Thread