+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hardcore

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Default Hardcore

Hello fellow blue bloods,

While I work I tend to listen to hardcore music constanly. It pounds on the radio and helps get me in the mood to just do a kick ass job. However lately I've been really craving for some new cds to take spin in my player.

I don't wan this thread to turn into a battle of genres so please avoid that.

Here is what is currently in my CD booklet. I'm looking for similiar stuff, and all suggestions are appriciated.

Remembering Never: Women & Children Die First*
    From Autumn To Ashes: Too Bad You're Beautiful
    Poison The Well: Opposite Of December, You Come Before You
    Hopesfall: The Satellite Years, No Wings To Speak Of
    I Killed The Prom Queen: When Goodbye Means Forever*
    Norma Jean: Bless The Matyr & Kiss The Child
    The Banner: Your Murder Mixtape

The ones with *marks next to them, those are what I'm really looking for similiar sounds to.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Default Re: Hardcore

nothing against all the ,BUT i met "Norma Jean" in person a few months ago,(there's a thread about it,),and those guys are fucking ASSHOLES.......

like i was about to fuckin' brawl........they even talked shit about my band(they got there after we played).....

i don't even know why the fuck they were there,it's was as far from a "hardcore" show as possible.......

sorry to start your thread of on a negative note,but when ever i hear there name i think how close i was from deckin' those snooty fucks.........

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

hardcore bands tend to rip on other genres much more than other genres rip on them... if thats even possible.

I was under the impression that fata was not so much hardcore as far as that albume was conerned... I own about a third of it.

^^^thanks for fully reading the thread.

killerkat, sorry that was your experince. was it with their new singer or their previous one?

Quote Originally Posted by Camby Savelle
    killerkat, sorry that was your experince. was it with their new singer or their previous one?

it was the whole fuckin' band ,man....there were outside drinking!(aren't they "straight edge" or whatever dumb shit)...........

i don't know which singer?......but they were all assfucks......

Ellis's Avatar Kuwabara Kuwabara

haha.
    I hope you killed one of them

I did read the whole thread. I wasnt ripping on anything.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hardcore is deader then dead. it's all mtv shit now and they all sound the same. here's the formula: one chord, growling, blast beat drums. hey that's also the formula for heavy metal nowadays too. go figure. not to be cynical, but why don't you listen to some hxc from the ninties when bands spent more time on writing music then on doing thier hair, instead of the other way around. way to go metal community you must be proud of yourselves for driving it back into the same shithole it was in the 80's.

but I will make one recomendation, Some Girls (not to be confused with the hippie girl band of the same name) which features members of Unbroken and the locust. I know the request was for bands that sound like the one's on the shelves at Hot Topic, but I thought I'd recomend one that is actually good.

"Lets hear it for the boy who'll say
    Get this macho tuff guy shit away
    The scene is just like a small town
    And we don't want your kind around"
    - Good Clean Fun, the eleventh commandment
    putting the "Ha" back in Hardcore.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

eh im not much for hardcore though i do like the first Avenged Sevenfold album but yeah i hate the straightedge fucks that seem to always be involved in the scene they really really piss me off beyond belief

so once again, could someone please suggest something?

I've heard Some Girls about 6 months ago, it wasn't really my thing. I'm willing to give them another chance though. I'll get back to you with my thoughts.

sory, guess I don't listen to anything good, since I just have stuff by a bunch of "fucks" that sing about having fun and being healthy and getting along with people. I guess you're not cool unless your band just wants to give all thier money to corporations that don't give a fuck about people and talk about how they can kick everyone elses ass.

do you like Pipedown? they aren't really hardcore... that's why they are good. they use various different musical styles instead of just one thing that sounds like everyone else in a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    sory, guess I don't listen to anything good, since I just have stuff by a bunch of "fucks" that sing about having fun and being healthy and getti a genre.

i ment them as in that band,i have met alot of other hardcore bands with very nice people,BUT those guys were some of the rudest bunch of D'''bags i've ever met......

i wasn't talking about the whole grenre,just That specific band......

I was refering to the comment: "hate the straightedge fucks that seem to always be involved in the scene they really really piss me off beyond belief"

I really don't like Norma Jean, and it just made me have even more reason not to like them when I heard that they were assholes to you. is that what you meant with that comment? if so, then I misunderstood.

I really don't like Norma Jean, and it just made me have even more reason not to like them when I heard that they were assholes to you. is that what you meant with that comment? if so, then I misunderstood.

yea,they were at a venue,that definatly wasn't safe for them to be there(who knows why they were there).....(edit**,come to think about i think there from GA,i Think i don;t know**edit)....

but there were outside drinking(they weren't drunk) like it said(i thought they were"straightedge'?).....

the rest was explained up there....i'm cool with whatever style musicians as long as your a cool(nice) person,but they were assholes....

camby,sorry i don't know any recommeds...

do you like Pipedown? they aren't really hardcore... that's why they are good. they use various different musical styles instead of just one thing that sounds like everyone else in a genre.
    I saw Pipedown live about a year ago, me and my lady friend talked to them for a minute after the show, they autographed her cd and stuff.

I like their music, not my favorite but definiatly worth listening to. They really put in alot of effort in their live performances.

and Norma Jean isn't straight edge, just hill billy christian.

ok. well on to the recomends...

One of my favorite bands is Boysetsfire. They are hardcoreish, and as always, I use the term loosely, because I like bands that just try and play their best and not concentrate so hard on staying within the defined borders of a single genre. I've only heard thier first two albums though, so I'd stick with those. I don't remember the first one, but the second one is called "After The Eulogy"

A band i've been listening to recently is XDeathStarX. If you're scared off by "straight edge" then I don't really know what to say. I like to think of it as "bands that write songs about stuff" and just like genre, not let that be what defines the music. I think this would be more up your alley because they got a pretty solid late 90's hardcore sound to them with a lot of energy and pretty creative writing.

lastly, an album definatly worth checking out, on my top ten list is Evergreen Terrace's all cover songs album "Writers Block". I don't really like thier normal stuff too much, but this album is a classic.

umm, I don't know how that is for you. I got more if ya want.

I was refering to the comment: "hate the straightedge fucks that seem to always be involved in the scene they really really piss me off beyond belief"

yeah well, from my personal experience straightedge kids for the most part are essentially neo-nazis only instead of hating different ethnic groups they hate people who make different lifestyle choices (i.e. drinking, drugs, smoking etc.) I have met maybe one or two straightedgers (who seem to be a vast minority) who are tolerant of what other people do to their bodies. The rest of them are arrogant violent pricks who harrass abuse and sometimes physically assault people who decide to smoke in public or drink during certain punk rock shows. Ive seen this shit happen way to many times for me to have any respect for the whole straightedge seen. Because like i said to me they are just as bad as neo-nazis.

ok. well on to the recomends...

One of my favorite bands is Boysetsfire. They are hardcoreish, and as always, I use the term loosely, because I like bands that just try and play their best and not concentrate so hard on staying within the defined borders of a single genre. I've only heard thier first two albums though, so I'd stick with those. I don't remember the first one, but the second one is called "After The Eulogy"

A band i've been listening to recently is XDeathStarX. If you're scared off by "straight edge" then I don't really know what to say. I like to think of it as "bands that write songs about stuff" and just like genre, not let that be what defines the music. I think this would be more up your alley because they got a pretty solid late 90's hardcore sound to them with a lot of energy and pretty creative writing.

lastly, an album definatly worth checking out, on my top ten list is Evergreen Terrace's all cover songs album "Writers Block". I don't really like thier normal stuff too much, but this album is a classic.

umm, I don't know how that is for you. I got more if ya want.

Keep making recomendations! I like that ET albulm alot too. Boysetsfire isn't my thing though. I haven't heard XDeathStarX so I will look into them.

About the lifestyle thing I really don't care what a band does in it's personal life. SE, Christian, Gay, Animal Rights Activist, doesn't make a diffirence to me as long as the music sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    yeah well, from my personal experience ... me they are just as bad as neo-nazis.
    I know what you mean and for a long time that's what I used to think because the only sxe kids I knew were like that. I had a freind who was edge and wasn't like that at all, but I thought well even if this person isn't like that they are must be an idiot because they claim edge and I always gave them shit for it. this is the part where you should take a look at your own actions. those people may be ignorant and intolerant, but if you act just the same way towards them are you any better? not really, and I lost a good freind that just wanted to help me out because I thought that way.
    later on I was stranded and couldn't get any cigarettes. after a couple weeks I got over my adiction and I felt a lot better. I could actually engage in physical activity without running out of breath after 2 minutes. and I started to think that I always said how evil corporations are and how "revolutionary" and independant I was, but like so many others who think this way, I was just a phony cuz I gave all my money to the most destructive corporations there are. after that I never smoked again.
    I was going through some really hard times and the drugs had run out so I was drinking some ridiculous combination of booze and basically just wanting to die. one song by my favorite band had a lyric that said "what if I refuse to take one drink to soothe the stress, and recognize it for the crutch that it is." and that made me think about my life and how getting wasted wasn't solving my problems and it just made me feel shittier. so I stopped drinking after that. after being sober and seeing how stupid people act when they are drunk and how they think that beer is like god, I decided that being sober was defiantly the right way to go.
    I started hanging out with kids that were just so genuinly nice you couldn't help but want to hang around them and they were all sxe. they didn't do it for fashion or for moral superiority but because: a. it really was more independant and revolutionary. b. it was healthy and c. because it gave them a reason to try and actively do something to have fun when they were bored, instead of just sitting around getting drunk like everyone else. it made activities so much more rewarding when you had to fight for them and have fun with your own experiences in life instead of reling on a manufactured product to do it for you.
    the reason that I'm telling you all this is because so you'll know that I know what it's like and i'm not just some high-horse self righteous abstaner, and because any kids that claim edge and act like you said, they aren't really. they are missing the whole point of what it's about. the real deal kids are the ones that just want to be positive and don't wear it on their sleeve, or X it on thier hands.

I know what you mean and for a long time that's what I used to think because the only sxe kids I knew were like that. I had a freind who was edge and wasn't like that at all, but I thought well even if this person isn't like that they are must be an idiot because they claim edge and I always gave them shit for it. this is the part where you should take a look at your own actions. those people may be ignorant and intolerant, but if you act just the same way towards them are you any better? not really, and I lost a good freind that just wanted to help me out because I thought that way.
    later on I was stranded and couldn't get any cigarettes. after a couple weeks I got over my adiction and I felt a lot better. I could actually engage in physical activity without running out of breath after 2 minutes. and I started to think that I always said how evil corporations are and how "revolutionary" and independant I was, but like so many others who think this way, I was just a phony cuz I gave all my money to the most destructive corporations there are. after that I never smoked again.
    I was going through some really hard times and the drugs had run out so I was drinking some ridiculous combination of booze and basically just wanting to die. one song by my favorite band had a lyric that said "what if I refuse to take one drink to soothe the stress, and recognize it for the crutch that it is." and that made me think about my life and how getting wasted wasn't solving my problems and it just made me feel shittier. so I stopped drinking after that. after being sober and seeing how stupid people act when they are drunk and how they think that beer is like god, I decided that being sober was defiantly the right way to go.
    I started hanging out with kids that were just so genuinly nice you couldn't help but want to hang around them and they were all sxe. they didn't do it for fashion or for moral superiority but because: a. it really was more independant and revolutionary. b. it was healthy and c. because it gave them a reason to try and actively do something to have fun when they were bored, instead of just sitting around getting drunk like everyone else. it made activities so much more rewarding when you had to fight for them and have fun with your own experiences in life instead of reling on a manufactured product to do it for you.
    the reason that I'm telling you all this is because so you'll know that I know what it's like and i'm not just some high-horse self righteous abstaner, and because any kids that claim edge and act like you said, they aren't really. they are missing the whole point of what it's about. the real deal kids are the ones that just want to be positive and don't wear it on their sleeve, or X it on thier hands.
    yeah i have freinds that are sxe that are really cool and open minded and respect my choice to do whatever i want with my body as long as i try not to do it around them but as i said in terms of the whole sxe scene they are in the minority but yeah im cool with anyone who wants to be sxe as long as they dont try to impose it on others against thier will.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Does Bolt Thrower count as hardcore?

The Haunted...

If you want something pretty unique, check out Atari Teenage Riot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    Does Bolt Thrower count as hardcore?
    want.

no way ,man, there classic metal(classic death metal that is).........i used to listen to them alot......

I think of "classic" metal as stuff like Slayer...

Bolt Thrower is fairly new...

Although it might count as grindcore.

All the new categories are annoying.

I gave some girls another chance, still not my thing. The music itself sounds too grindy for my taste. The vocals are okay but would fit better with other music.

hmm. ok time to crack into the cd collection...
    yeah I don't think I really have anything else that's to your taste, I pretty much like everything on Youth Attack records. I guess my only other recomendation would be Transistor Transistor. oh yeah I also like a lot of 80's hardcore like vegan reich, his hero is gone, brother inferior.. but I don't know if that's your thing.

lol bah@transistor transistor. (I do like the more screamo direction you're going, but I am knee deep in screamo cds)

I haven't heard hero is gone, brother inferior or reich. I'm not going to turn something down before I try it. I'll get back to you with my thoughts.

reich is pretty hardline, obviously. but I think that they can apeal to people that aren't into that because they aren't overt and don't dumb it down and try to resort to shock appeal. unlike earth crissis they don't have lyrics that say shit like "if you eat meat then you are a murder", they actaully put the effort into writing songs that are detailed and artistic and explain the emotions of people, instead of just "don't do this" or "do that" BS.

Wish I could help you out more, but I guess we just don't listen to the same shit. I'm not really into tuff guy hardcore. I'm sure there are a lot of really good people that listen to posion the well, but I like shit that's fast and screaming and played by gay guys, instead of songs about scoring with chicks and whatever else like talking about death.

And scoring with dead chicks...

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I suggest boys don't bleed. They're a local band, but they're pretty good.
    www.boysdontbleed.com

Hula Hoop Supervisor

And scoring with dead chicks...
    Now that I'd listen too. Better yet...scoring with dead DRUNK chicks...not sure how that's possible but I'll leave that up to the songwriter.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

If you want something pretty unique, check out Atari Teenage Riot.
    ATR was (is?) one of those great Alec Empire projects that you either enjoyed or hated and dismissed them on sight. I'm a fan personally and while they are technically gone now (One member died, the rest sorta went solo last I heard...) they did leave enough releases to appease and please a wide variety of fans. I think their early works is much more solid lyrically but their later work is much more intense sonicly. Many forget how old MUCH of that catalouge is though...most of it dates from the early to mid 90's. They "hit" a bit bigger in the late 90's riding the wave of the "Electronica is the new thing" craze but by that time Alec Empire's solo stuff was really the more interesting of the projects he had going on.

ATR did spawn Hanin Elias so at the end of the day the whole ATR thing gave fans of its style some solid solo artists.

I kinda miss em really. Unlike the disaster that KMFDM has turned into (I have faith they will turn it around though) ATR did the social awareness thing with just the right kind of intensity that didn't feel preachy, elitest, or condesending...very hard to pull off for any artist no matter how talented.

hmm. I find that kind of inspiring. Are you sxe? Years ago in my youth I was sxe for quite a while, but I got old and fell off the edge. Then again as they say " if your not now, you never were".
    I would send you a pm if I could. Maybe you could start a straight edge thread. I have a story but don't want to stray to far off topic.

yeah I know, it's little inconvinient without the Pms. No I don't claim to be edge. I think that not doing something that you want to do just to subscribe to a group is just as dumb as doing something (like drinking) just because everyone else is doing it. I used to enjoy the taste of a fine beer and if I encounter one then I will do just that. there's no conflict of intrest because it's not so much as the substance but the motivation, and I feel that's the heart behind straight edge: to steer clear of damaging adictions. that's not limited to substances. so like I said, I may have a sip here and there from time to time, I don't drink just to get drunk or to the point where I am impared and that's really what I am against. you can't blame a substance for human stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread