+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cat vs. mom; cat wins

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

Default cat vs. mom; cat wins

any one ever read Kujo? well, it could have been re-written Friday night when my 15 pound cat attacked my mother.

Roxanne, the cat, is only four years old but has already gone blind due to inbreeding and a chronic eye problem. I found her when I was living in Memphis, having literally been thrown away by her previous owner. Consequently and understandably, she's had a fear of plastic bags ever since. Mom had been at work that day, hanging out with her boss's brand new Lab (it's a fun office). The heat kicked on, rattling the plastic bag in the bathroom trash can. Roxanne was sleeping in the tub and went running out of the bathroom, straight into my mother. At this point, Roxanne attacked mom's leg, causing deep cuts and several bites. She got bitten on the hand trying to get Rox to let go.

Explaining to the Emergency staff that it had been your average tabby cat (though Roxanne is in fact a perfect Calico) that had caused the damage was difficult. Mom will be fine; a few stitches and possible nerve damage in her hand. It apparently could have been a lot worse.

The (probably missed) point to all of this, is that cat bites are apparently very dangerous, no matter how insignificant they look. The ones on mom's hand look like a bad scratch. I know how we all would usually just wash off the booboo, put some antibiotic cream on it and go on with our lives. This can be the worst thing you can do, the quack told us, because by the time you realize there is a problem, it is bad. The bacteria in cat's mouths begins infecting the bite very quickly. Think bad strep infections bad. We went to the ER at about 9, got seen by ten and got home at a little after one. When mom woke up on Saturday, her arm was swollen and red. Another trip to the ER, where they changed antibiotics and dressings.

I thought I'd post this because I know alot of us have house demons and though it will probably never happen to you, it has happened with my usually incredibly sweet cat.

Roxanne is fine, btw.

mmmcherry's Avatar CHERRALICIOUS!!!

Default Re: cat vs. mom; cat wins

omg :S thats insane... poor mom... poor cat...

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

I've met several attack cats... also am one of the people who just washes the scratches and bites of and goes on her merry way. I do know that's dumb, but thus far luck has been on my side. Ick I'm glad mom and cat are both ok!

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I groom cats as well as dogs, and its a very known rule that those of us 'fortuneate' enough to work with cats MUST report a cat scratch or bite immediately and go to the ER. Cats mouths do harvest bacteria that causes conditions like cat scratch fever (and here you thought it was just a song, lol), etc. and can be extremely dangerous to our health.

Im glad your mom is ok!!!

Saucy Pirate Wench

poor mom. poor kitty (i too had a kitty that was thrown away in a paper bag stapled shut, now much rescued and 15 yrs old).

icky sticky eww! cat scratch fever! My mom got that once when a stray she was trying to pull off her cat nearly removed her finger. The odd thing is though- I think boht me and my hunny are completely immune. Must come from having been around cats since the womb. And we've both had some pretty insane cuts from cat claws/teeth. I still have a nasty looking scar on the top of my left foot from Patrick the 16 lbs orange tabby, and my Rob has some pretty spectacular scars from Bunny the 24 lb fraidy cat.

I'm glad mom will be okay and some one should kiss that Roxy baby right between the ears.

S

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i remember once when i was like 10 my cat scratched my lil bro in the face for no reason. He was just sitting there watching tv and she walks up to him, slashes him in the face like 4 times and just calmly walks away.

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettSin
    poor mom. poor kitty (i too had a kitty that was thrown away in a paper bag stapled shut, now much rescued and 15 yrs old).

icky sticky eww! cat scratch fever! My mom got that once when a stray she was trying to pull off her cat nearly removed her finger. The odd thing is though- I think boht me and my hunny are completely immune. Must come from having been around cats since the womb. And we've both had some pretty insane cuts from cat claws/teeth. I still have a nasty looking scar on the top of my left foot from Patrick the 16 lbs orange tabby, and my Rob has some pretty spectacular scars from Bunny the 24 lb fraidy cat.

I'm glad mom will be okay and some one should kiss that Roxy baby right between the ears.

S
    Funny thing is that Roxanne has been fine ever since. I think she knows she did somethign really wrong as she's been acting really depressed ever since. Yeah, I know. Humanizing the cat. Hard not to when you spent weeks making sure they lived (this more so with my three pound mini cat). Shea, the mini cat and also a rescue, scratched me on the wrist, but luckily i didn't get sick. Down side is the location.
    As to giving Roxy a kiss btwn the ears...I let her I sleep on my head that night. Does that count? (ever see that commercial with the cat sleeping just above the chicks head? yeah, think of that.) However much we trust Rox, we do still have to think of the long term. There is no way in hell we're having her declawed, so we are going to have those silly little rubber caps put on. It may also stop her from destroying the furniture.
    Mom is healing well and should have the stiches out soon. She has to do some light pt, but nothing awful. The therapist was laughing yesterday when we were both there; her for her neck injury/ cat bite, me for my leg. (don't brake the same one multiple times if you can avoid it, lol) Good to know we're keeping them in business.

+ Reply to Thread