+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In 5 Easy Steps!

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default In 5 Easy Steps!

I'm really beginning to fear those words on anything computer related. Like many I have multiple computers scattered to hell and back around my odd lil dwelling. So I had to get a router...not something I am fond of since in the past they have proven to hate me and fuck up my connection.

But today's routers are EASY to set up and what not. For $50 it'd save me some headaches so what the hell. Setting it up was indeed quite simple...to simple. It did what computer hardware should NEVER DO...work right the first time. Everything seemed to be right as rain...until a few days later I check my newly reinstalled firewall. Normally it says how many intrusions it blocked and what not....it said zero. An impossibility.

That can't be good so I figure something was left out of the instructions in regards to how a 3rd party firewall and the good ole router were to communicate...I've never head a head for networks but I'm not complete fool about them either.

A few days pass as I try to get straight answers and make sense of why the handbook for the router is so simplified and why I don't even have a way to manipulate it's settings and such...something just didn't feel right...and neither did my connection since all my DL speeds were cut in half this past weekend. Great...another headache.

What do I discover? In my connection settings the option to use my computer as a Warez Server had been added. I'm pretty fucking sure that's not a default setting. So I delete it...unplug the router and reinstall my firewall....everything seems to be normal again with DL speeds and security.

Now I can understand wanting to make something easy...but to make it TOO easy really causes some headaches in the long run. I'll admit I shouldn't have just used the simplistic instructions that came with the router and used a bit more caution...but like I said...it worked . Usually I do the default instructions, watch it fail horribly, then go into the more complicated settings and get it to work right and proper. I think I'll stick with that from now on.

Anyone else been burned by these overly simplistic guides that seem to be popping up for everything these days?

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Default Re: In 5 Easy Steps!

yeah i hate that when guies dont toell you shit like that get some ethernet cards and turn one of your comps into a server for your other computers its a hell of a lot more effecient than using a router.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

This is why I fear wireless.

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    This is why I fear wireless.
    Agreed.. we are paddling up the same river on this one.

+ Reply to Thread