+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A subject dear to my heart....

jenova_sin's Avatar the sweet lips of cruelty

Default A subject dear to my heart....

Have you ever heard the phrases "I love you" and "I'm in love with you"
    I come from a mentality where when you love someone they are pretty much your everything. But I have been told that those two phrases hold different meanings. Am i alone in the way I feel. Hopefuly someone can chime in and brief me on this....

^v^ Merci....
    German

Default Re: A subject dear to my heart....

they both have whatever meaning you give them. however, consider: 'I love my brother' and 'I'm in love with my brother'.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

"The love for one individual is barbarous, for it is practiced at the expense of everyone else."
    -F.W. Nietzsche

that's the difference between Love, and the concept "in love".

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Love has fucked up my life sooooo bad,more than once,call me a bitch ,i don't care but, just you bringin' it up puts me "off" and a bit teary.....

i hate love
    i love love
    love is hate
    love is love.......

dep's Avatar Junior Member

"i love you.. i'm not IN love with you"

yeah.. JUST what you want to hear. so, i guess now, you love me like you do a good steak... or the color green. just another thing to love now. in love.. now that's special, right?

or.. perhaps it's a pleutonic love?

if i'm in love with you and you're no longer IN love with me? why the fuck do i care if you love me at all?

sigh,
    dep

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

Love is just another shade of grey or flavor of the month. I'm sure you/me/anyone can find a better more descriptive way to tell someone that they care. Saying you love someone is a cheap way out. It's almost mundane these days instead of some big declaration of true feelings.

dep's Avatar Junior Member

yeah. plus people seem to say it so easily anymore, you know?

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

It means I'm a good lay

OEC

Forestghost's Avatar Knowlege is power!

People throw the word around too much. People say I love you (meaning in love) after a month of dating. On some rare occasions, yeah, you know that soon. But honestly, you can't know you love something until you can't bear to be without it. If you're in love with a person, the thought of being without them, even for short periods of time is disruptful of life itself.

"I love you, but I'm not in love with you" is a stupid and wimpy way to break up with someone. Brothers, sisters, parents, cats, and dogs are different (in a way)

Being in love with someone is profound and life altering. You are willing to sacrifice, accept, forgive and cooperate.

Yeah, it's thrown around too much. *sigh* it's a real, pity! people think they are in love, then they think they get their hearts broken, and start to hate love. Eventually, these people miss out on the real thing, because of their fear of their past, untrue experiences. Divorce happens so much now because people say they are in love too soon, don't learn everything about eachother, then jump into a marriage.

Anyway, that's my ramble on that!

jenova_sin's Avatar the sweet lips of cruelty

The thing well, for me I don't really use the word love passively or during conversation. Like instead of "I love the horatti!!" I would say "The horatti are awesome!" or something to that effect. I find the word love especially used in the context that I use it in to be particularly dangerous. I however believe that people overuse and misuse that word like its going out of style. I was thinking like in that one tense/wonderful/whatever moment when someone looks you in the eyes and shyly tells you. "I love you" or "I'm in love with you" is there a difference in the context of that particular moments...

^v^- Spanks for your insights lil lovelies
    German

my ex-aunt told my uncle when she kicked him out of the house- i love you but im not in love with you - i thought it was kinda humerous but i guess i can see the differance between the two.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you're confusing the concept romance with love. If love was only atrritubuted to feelings of passion and desire which is regaurded as being "in love", then all other instances are negated by that defintion, and we can't have love for a parent, love for a child, love for a freind, love for a pet, etc... We speak of love unconditionally, but that is the very opposite of our thinking, we make the act of loving itself dependant on conditions. The fact is that love is love, your either love someone or you don't. the love is the same, whether it's your father or your wife, it's the other feelings and situations that are different.

+ Reply to Thread