+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Green Day's new video: Wake me up when September ends

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Green Day's new video: Wake me up when September ends

Punk rockers Green Day have a new video out for their ambiguous ballad "Wake me up when September ends," the video shows how wide-eyed youth and subjected to military service, as if against their will, only to shockingly discover that war is a frightening and harrowing place, and not fun. It goes on to further lament the effects the deaths of soldiers have on the community and their friends and family who weren't aware of the fact that people die in warfare. This tear-jerking account leads us to question, why? Why could we endure to have such an unjust cause thrown upon us? Have we been lied to? Perhaps by some clandestine nefarious "American Idiot"?

I for one was very moved by this noble and poignant criticism of the war in Iraq. In fact, I so love this new album that it took my mind off of thinking about why they never said anything about it until now, instead of three years ago when the war started and during the first term of president George W. Bush, Jr.

Green Day has proven time and time again that they are the greatest punk band of all time. In the 1990's during the catastrophic UN sanctions of Iraq, the devastation of civilians targets in Yugoslavia and Sudan, and the Aids epidemic and slaughter in Africa, in true Punk Rock fashion, Green Day was writing such inspired protest verses as "when masturbation's lost it's fun, you're fucking lazy." Party on!

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Default Re: Green Day's new video: Wake me up when September ends

how dare you post such blasphemy? Punk rockers Green Day ? Green Day has proven time and time again that they are the greatest punk band of all time????????? so Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Ramones, and the Damned pale in comparison to punk posuers Green Day huh???

Hula Hoop Supervisor

War is Bad...

Unless it's in a video game. Then it's fun for all!

I dunno it's kind of hard to take much of these videos and songs all that serious. One gets the impression these artists are trying desperately to capture that 60's vibe that made even awful bands and artists "meaningful and deep". It's as though these artists and bands really want this war and global conflict to be as brutal and ugly as possible so they can continue to write songs and make documentaries about it...if this war has benefited anyone it's the "activists". Kinda funny in a sick way.

Well back to playing Battlefield 2.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    how dare you post such blasphemy? Punk rockers Green Day ? Green Day has proven time and time again that they are the greatest punk band of all time????????? so Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Ramones, and the Damned pale in comparison to punk posuers Green Day huh???
    Who? I thought they were t-shirt designers like that Che guy and that dude from Jamaica.

devil13's Avatar Senior Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Who? I thought they were t-shirt designers like that Che guy and that dude from Jamaica.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Punk rockers Green Day have a new video out for their ambiguous ballad "Wake me up when September ends," the video shows how wide-eyed youth and subjected to military service, as if against their will, only to shockingly discover that war is a frightening and harrowing place, and not fun. It goes on to further lament the effects the deaths of soldiers have on the community and their friends and family who weren't aware of the fact that people die in warfare. This tear-jerking account leads us to question, why? Why could we endure to have such an unjust cause thrown upon us? Have we been lied to? Perhaps by some clandestine nefarious "American Idiot"?

I for one was very moved by this noble and poignant criticism of the war in Iraq. In fact, I so love this new album that it took my mind off of thinking about why they never said anything about it until now, instead of three years ago when the war started and during the first term of president George W. Bush, Jr.

Green Day has proven time and time again that they are the greatest punk band of all time. In the 1990's during the catastrophic UN sanctions of Iraq, the devastation of civilians

targets in Yugoslavia and Sudan, and the Aids epidemic and slaughter in Africa, in true Punk Rock fashion, Green Day was writing such inspired protest verses as "when masturbation's lost it's fun, you're fucking lazy." Party on!
    Green Day was never particularly political. Billie's other band is actually a lot more so. Regardless, singing about it won't change anything. We're full system go heading into the abyss. You can slow it down but you won't stop it. I did, however, party in the "Longview House" aka Brady House. It was a punk rock pad North of San Francisco. I never stook around for the next day masturbation sessions.

OEC

yeah I know that you were freinds with them. I don't really have a problem with thier parent freindly middle-class non-threatening punk rock.

So, if I am taking anything away from this, pop bands aren't allowed to protest and there is no point in even trying. Wow, its like 1986 all over again. Thanks for the flashbacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    So, if I am taking anything away from this, pop bands aren't allowed to protest and there is no point in even trying. Wow, its like 1986 all over again. Thanks for the flashbacks!
    '86 was actually the end of the Cold War. Once the Soviets admitted to Chornobyl, all legitimacy was lost. I am glad Billie is finally saying something. The ground war can be stopped, but I believe with globalizaion the world is heading on a preset course. Nothing wrong with protesting, but one has to be realistic about the bigger picture.

OEC

yeah I know that you were freinds with them. I don't really have a problem with thier parent freindly middle-class non-threatening punk rock.
    We have bigger problems than Billie's wallet these days bro

OEC

Exiled

green day es bullshit, that new video is bullshit, they use the war to make money as well as the government they critics so much, bullshit bullshit, making money, bullshit, "left that high-school psychology as michael moore"
    ramones are over rated, green day = bullshit, iraq = bullshit, bullshit bullshit

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Quote Originally Posted by devil13
    I think you missed the sarcasm, there.

Or maybe I missed it here.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I like Green Day. I could care less if they are activists, lesbians, hermaphrodites, etc. Theres nothing wrong with having an upbeat tune in ones life, if that makes me a poser, so be it. I am poser.

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Jax
    I like Green Day. I could care less if they are activists, lesbians, hermaphrodites, etc. Theres nothing wrong with having an upbeat tune in ones life, if that makes me a poser, so be it. I am poser.

Well since you admitted to being a poser...................... guess we should bash you.................... but no I'm in a decent mood tonight.

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Lol, feel free. I dont fit a niche, if I like something I like it. Doesnt mean Im a poser, it means I like what I like.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

haha,Jax you'll always be cool....

i don't think people here care what you listin,too....

happy to see you around again...i just got back myself....

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Lol, maybe I dont care if Im cool or not is what makes me 'cool'...who knows, thats an overused term anyways;p

Yeah, Ive had a hard time, but things are slowly picking back up;]

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

well,uhhh....

my vocabulary has gone to shit,lately...

we lick(did i say lick)(i think i ment like ) you for who your are,not an image or whatever......

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Now that would be a "cool" band.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedCat
    Nothing wrong with protesting, but one has to be realistic about the bigger picture.

OEC
    Why? Being realistic never got me anywhere interesting.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by hewhoisagod
    Well since you admitted to being a poser...................... guess we should bash you.................... but no I'm in a decent mood tonight.

Yeah that's it...bash the girl with the gun..hahaha. You are far braver than I.

Maybe, but in purely semantic terms, aren't all models (by definition) 'posers'?

Cool avatar by the way, Jax.

As for the Green Day video....blah. It's just like System Of A Down's Daron with his Humvee....way to go about bringing down the Bush/Big Oil hegemony bro....

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    Why? Being realistic never got me anywhere interesting.
    Me neither in my personal life. I just think its a bit silly to believe the world is gonna change its course because of me.

OEC

LOL. I don't think there is anything left for you to strike a pose from. The punks aged, now everyone is 30. Nothing changed. A few folks died. Green Day lives on I actually think this is probably their best album.

OEC

in truth I would love to see Green Day get more active in politics, because they sure as hell have the influence. you can be mainstream and progressive, the two don't contradict each other... unfortunetly that hasn't seemed to happen much in the last 25 years. That's really what the problem is. I hate it that the "radicals" have to pander to the right-wing to get public support. always compromising your poisiton will never get you anywhere. you can't please all the people all the time.
    You can't "support our troops" and be anti-war. an old slogan that Crass always said was "fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity."

in truth I would love to see Green Day get more active in politics, because they sure as hell have the influence. you can be mainstream and progressive, the two don't contradict each other... unfortunetly that hasn't seemed to happen much in the last 25 years. That's really what the problem is. I hate it that the "radicals" have to pander to the right-wing to get public support. always compromising your poisiton will never get you anywhere. you can't please all the people all the time.
    You can't "support our troops" and be anti-war. an old slogan that Crass always said was "fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity."
    That's true. I'm falling into a nihilistic slump myself. I need to speak as does Green Day.

OEC

scabre's Avatar Senior Member
    oh.. im from leeds, (up north in the uk to be precise!)

iv not seen the vid myself but i love the song.. and thats odd cos im not a gd fan, ill download the vid and have a look

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by killerkat
    well,uhhh....

my vocabulary has gone to shit,lately...

we lick(did i say lick)(i think i ment like ) you for who your are,not an image or whatever......

Lol, you want to lick me;p

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Now that would be a "cool" band.
    ROF, wouldnt it though?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Vampire
    Maybe, but in purely semantic terms, aren't all models (by definition) 'posers'?

Cool avatar by the way, Jax.

As for the Green Day video....blah. It's just like System Of A Down's Daron with his Humvee....way to go about bringing down the Bush/Big Oil hegemony bro....
    You got me. Lol, I am a poser by career;p

Thanks, Malcolm sent me a few so I cant wait to change them out repeatedly, lol.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Lol, you want to lick me;p

This is a trick question huh?

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

This is a trick question huh?
    Haha, whats so tricky about it? I KNOW you want to lick me;p

+ Reply to Thread