+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New apt decorating

Default New apt decorating

Hi,

I’m a newbie here…

I will soon be moving into a new apt. A month later my boyfriend will be moving in with me. This will be the first time I have lived with a boyfriend in over 8 years so I’m really nervous and would really like the apt to be both of our tastes and styles. Can anyone suggestion a web site or a magazine or even a book that will help me get some Gothy ideas for decorating?

He’s a Rivet Goth Cyber Tech Geek who likes the Goth Romantic AND the sci fi fantasy nerd look

I’m a Goth Ambience partial Tree Hugger free spirit who likes the goth ambience romantic fantasy gypsy look

Yea… this should be interesting to say the least.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Re: New apt decorating

im the same way but my boyfriend likes the streamlined clean look
    we did an asian inspired house...

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

a good paint job will give any room personality i sortof have a horror themed room and all it took was dark purple paint for the walls, some Boris Karlof movie posters, and a bunch of old halloween decorations)Skelletens,plastic spiders etc) but good luck on your place and welcome aboard theres tons of creative folks here who might give you more ideas

answer simple: get a chia pet... you love the earth and he can shape it into a mohawk

Greetings newbie welcome to the boards, enjoy, and check a thread by one of Our lovely models about Her place

exile

maybe you should just paint adjectives on the wall.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Just get color on the walls before you move in.

The rest is simple after that.

Try different colors in different rooms,
    so you can each decorate different areas to suit your tastes.

Try a blood red room, a green room, a purple room, etc...

The green room you can make woodsy, the red room can be gothic/romantic, and the purple room can be harem styled... There are lots of creative ways to decorate, but slapping some paint on the walls is the first thing to do. Do it before you move your stuff in, before you unpack, etc... It's not hard with a roller.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

paint it black

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    paint it black
    heh i see what you did there

buy as many masks as you can... tack them up on the walls...

they'll be watching you all the time... all those eyes...

all the time...

watching...

watching...

(did this in an apt. once, put up about 20 masks or so, of various designs. roommate went crazy first. then after he left I went nuts... completely unrelated to the decorations though... no, really. I'm sure of it.)

Get the biggest fuckin' TV you can buy for starters. To compliment that you'll need a shit brown particle board 'entertainment center' with the wood-grain paper backing busted out so you can see all the wires that run from the monolithic enterainment god to a humongous 500 watt receiver. You would still need to daisy chain those items to your state-of-the-art surround sound speaker package (you'll need to buy). A nice touch would be to have multiple game systems hooked-up, so you can admire the heap of tangled black controler cables spilling out of broked bottom doors of the above mentioned entertainment center (You know the ones, they have those little magnets that hold the doors closed). If I might also suggest packing the other empty shelves with as many nic-nacs, DVDs, and books as will fit. Last but not least you may also want to consider a root-bound spider plant that's wishing you let it starve to death and put an end to it's miserable life (I'd put that on top).

For a sofa you should choose something with a print pattern, and obviously overstuffed. Plenty of places to find treasure whilst vacuuming in the future. Make sure it hardly fits through the door! You'll experience a real sense of victory upon completion that will be much more grandiose!

I think the goth look your going for will take a bit of time to develope. Don't rush it. For your guests, upon passing the threshold give them the bouquet of entering a Marakesh street market. To accomplish thist effect, You'll need to smoke a carton of Djarum Cloves and instead of cleaning the ashtray let it sit for a little bit and get plenty full (An added benefit will be the golden sheen the wallpaint will take on).

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, I have more too if you need any other help. Good Luck!

Last edited by Toe Cutter; 11-17-2005 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling error

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by Toe Cutter
    Get the biggest fuckin' TV you can buy for starters.

yeah the first thing we did was get credit at bestbuy and bought 65 inch flat screen...makes you dizzy when you watch it, good investment

I know it's been mentioned, but I can't help but corroborate the neccessity of painting the rooms. It really adds a whole different atmosphere. For a common example, I would assume you'd want the bedroom to be more romantic? A deep red, perhaps with a black bed spread? I'd 'also have candle holders hanging from the walls, maybe even cieling. Don't worry about preventing mixing, though, lol. My room is two different themes and they go fine together. And don't worry about having to get everything all at once. Get only stuff you would want to live with. If it's a lil empty at first, don't worry bout it. You can buy the stuff together as a couple later on. ^_~ Art takes time, lol.
    I hope it works out. I'm interested in the results, so you must post pictures. ^_^
    Best of wishes, darling.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    answer simple: get a chia pet... you love the earth and he can shape it into a mohawk

Now that would be funny!!

Wow

Thanks to everyone for replying!
    OK So first paint.

I found one web site with a couple of pics of their house (Darart). The rooms they took pictures of were beautifull. Most if it was done in dark purple, lavender and splashes of black. Sparingly furnished with specific decorative large pieces throughout the rooms. I'm going to use this as a idea starter.

I havent moved in yet... The apt wont be empty and ready to move into until Dec 15th ish.. But I will post as soon as I have the first stages done.

Midnight

Leftalone's Avatar Member

Clean the rooms, replace anything broken. And get lots of candles... Yah.

+ Reply to Thread