+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eminem and Sasha Grey

Default Eminem and Sasha Grey

Sasha Grey plays the faithless love in the new video for Space Bound by Eminem. I've said it before and I'll say it again (extra often if pressed): Eminem is one of the strongest gothic artists performing today. Space Bound is bullet-through-your-brains-brokenhearted level gothtastic.
    Read the full article

Default Re: Eminem and Sasha Grey

Fucking hate eminem.

Your crush on him is dumb.

Oh gee, is he doing yet ANOTHER song/vidoeo/children's book about a guy who's woman cheats on him?

"gothic"? Bullshit.

...but say, you never did admit to being totally completely insanely, stupidly, abjectly wrong about wanting homophobic (yes he is, so stfu before you even start) nitwit eminem to pistol whip sacha baron cohen for sitting on his head, a gag that eminem was in on from the start.

eminem belongs in walmart not blueblood.

Err... it's angsty, yes. The video does flirt with the genuinely (if somewhat tamely) dark.

It takes a liberal definition of gothic art for this to qualify, but I do prefer those. Still, romantic angst is probably my least favorite brand of darkness - as well as the one with the greatest mainstream acceptance - so this label doesn't earn it many props from me.

Rap is a genre I can appreciate in its underground hiphop form when it's about disenfranchised youth sticking it to an oppressive established order, because the vocal format is well suited for socio-political themes and point-making in general, but when polished up for use in love songs remains one of the least interesting corners of contemporary pop music.

So, meh. It's not awful, but I doubt I'll ever play it again intentionally.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Musically and lyrically, I don't think it is his finest work, but I like the video and there are not many artists who would include a bloody suicide in a music video. Even though I'd have to agree that killing oneself over a person dated for a year and a half is probably ill-advised and a bit of an eyeball-roller.

I do find that Eminem videos have more of the tropes of darkness than any other artist making videos today. This may be because others who would do so lack the budget or the commercial juice, but who else is wearing black eyeliner in a tub of blood?

5. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Amelia G For This Useful Post:

Raza (06-28-2011)

That one's much better, although the makeup mostly makes him look old and sickly. I guess he's trying really hard not to look goth, leaving little creative space with this theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia
    but who else is wearing black eyeliner in a tub of blood?
    This' a rhetorical question, right? 'Cause...

Well, I know I shoot folks in eyeliner in tubs of blood, whenever the opportunity arises, but, for a common undergroundish theme, it seems remarkably absent in music videos. So I asked rhetorically, but, if I missed some, please post

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Drugs and age have made him look old and sickly.

tropes of darkness?

WTF?

What the fuck happened to you Amelia? Has LA finally rotted out the last of your braincells? Do you have stockholm syndrome? Is Rhianna the only thing you can hear anymore to be this deluded? I mean, just what the fuck are you comparing this to for "tropes of darkness"? Did nobody make anything "dark" enough for you in the last 5min, that you have to latch on to this shit? I mean, who are we supposed to compare this too, the black eyed peas?

...I'd accuse you of something really low, but I hate eminem so much I just can't be bothered. Ugh.

Kids, don't make me stop the car. A little reminder: Before you post, ask yourself whether what you are posting is constructive in any way. Not everyone in the Blue Blood forums agrees and I don't expect everyone to agree, but I do expect you to be able to make your constructive points in an intelligent manner. Constructive means you actually share opinions someone might want to read, not necessarily me, but someone. I know those of you who have been here a long time know how to express yourselves intelligently, so please do so. I mean, seriously, if you can't stand Eminem, I expect grown men to be able to bash him, without stooping to pointless name-calling or complaining that he is not cute enough for you. I know y'all can do better than that.

/

We now return you to your regularly scheduled conversation.

constructive criticism?

you have always, and ever been particularly immune to that form of communication Amelia.

you seem to have forgotten that possibly the only shared thread between all the disparate genre, and subgenre of goth/punk is a contempt, disdain, and out right hatred of corporate popular culture.

truly do look forward to reading your latest article on the release of season whatever, of HBO's whatever on boxset.

Would you ask people to criticise you in a manner that you weren't immune to? I know I never do.

Despite his volatile delivery though, Buster does have a bit of a point. I regularly feel you scour pop culture under a magnifying glass looking for traces of something dark or edgy in people like Lady Gaga, whatshisname the American Idol contestant and now Eminem, while the main body of actual counterculture goes mostly unreported on... with the exception of people that're already celebrities, or past Blue Blood contributors. Now, reading about the latter is often very worthwhile, I fully trust your acquired expertise in picking out the least uninteresting bits of pop culture to tell us about, and all of this remains purely your prerogative... but there's no denying that there's some selection bias going on, that doesn't seem fully in line with what you tell us interests you most.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

zing

ouch but well said Raza.

Sitting on the computer surfing the latest in pop culture is easier than going to edgy clubs. Also, there's very little in terms of edgy clubs anymore.

Don't blame Amelia one bit.

I don't think Eminem is Goth - I'd never have got into Goth if "Marian" had been something like

WAAAAAAH MARIAN CHEATED ON ME
    WAAAAAAH I HATE THAT BITCH SO MUCH
    WAAAAAAH MOMMY DIDN'T LOVE ME
    *random garbled pretentious German lyrics*

Blue Blood has never been about hating something for being successful. If all bohemian/punk/gothic/unclassifiable/etc. folks hate all success, we are doomed to always be second class citizens. I don't accept that and, if Blue Blood has one message I'd like people to take away, it is that you should not accept being treated badly just because you are different. You deserve the same respect and love and opportunity for success as those whose thinking is a bit more, shall we say, in the box. I think it is a good thing that my work reaches more than 20 million eyeballs a month and, if some folks would like my work better with only a couple dozen people seeing it, I guess I can't help that without being self-destructive.

From issue #1 in 1992, Blue Blood has always mixed the obscure with the well-known, in terms of subjects covered. I think it is conformist and silly to only enjoy things with the right amount of popularity for who you perceive yourself to be. I am more interested in a work's quality, than its social status.

Constructive would be something like posting some great videos you feel are more counterculture than Eminem or naming some artists you wish would make videos, that sort of thing. I would have said constructive criticism, if that is what I meant.

Blue Blood contributor Sasha Grey is in this Eminem video.

Floodland did not exactly come out this year. While I sometimes run flashback or you-might-have-missed-this pieces, I don't think it would be particularly constructive to point out on daily basis that some people might like the most obvious gothic band. We did give away free Sisters of Mercy tickets, when they did a US tour.

I challenge any of y'all to post a list of 10 musical artists you feel Blue Blood should cover, but has tragically neglected. Ideally, this should not be a list of what you listened to in 1987 (or would have, if you'd been cooler then.)

Oh, and HBO has some great shows. I feel sorry for anyone whose self-image keeps them from checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    Blue Blood has never been about hating something for being successful. If all bohemian/punk/gothic/unclassifiable/etc. folks hate all success, we are doomed to always be second class citizens. I don't accept that and, if Blue Blood has one message I'd like people to take away, it is that you should not accept being treated badly just because you are different. You deserve the same respect and love and opportunity for success as those whose thinking is a bit more, shall we say, in the box. I think it is a good thing that my work reaches more than 20 million eyeballs a month and, if some folks would like my work better with only a couple dozen people seeing it, I guess I can't help that without being self-destructive.
    This is by and large a very positive message, but I feel we need to distinguish commercial, artistic and social success. While artists often do a bit of all three, setting out to make money, create beauty, or make a point and change the world are three very different things - and the first and the last in particular may be partially incompatible.

Art is art and beautiful things are beautiful, but counterculture art sets out to expose the flaws in the overculture's system, to undermine its power by showing the potential of alternative approaches. I would not resent any counterculture artist for reaching millions of ears or eyes, far from it... but I will judge them for producing their work through corporate business practises, thereby perpetuating their place in artistic culture and steering more money and power towards an unethical established order.

Now, I'm not saying that any legitimate outside-the-box perspective necessarily needs to be anti-capitalist... but when you look at how the powers that be are woven in to each other it gets difficult to support one without fortifying the others, and most streams of counterculture have some set of anti-corporate ethical sentiments or another at their roots. Giving these up even for more money - even if it's for the perfectly tempting reasons of producing harder, better, stronger, faster art - means co-opting our culture and turning it against itself. I cannot consider that 'success'.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

while i cant come up with a full ten right off the top of my head, i can name a few. however, in no way should there be some unwritten list of bands, artists, subjects, or whatever, that blueblood should NOT cover.

im willing to give it a listen, watch it once, see what it is about, look for anything i can take away from it - i can still appreciate it, even if it falls outside my box. maybe my box will become larger as a result, maybe the walls separating 'us' from 'them' will get a lil lower. look at what we have in common - the things we share, and come up with a way to compare my interests to theirs.

ps. i would love to see blueblood cover: Collide, Unter Null, Omega Lithium, Android Lust, Angelspit, Ayria, The Birthday Massacre, Chiasm, and the author Caitlin Kiernan as well as the actress who plays Abbey Scuto on the tv series NCIS, Pauley Perratte.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    while i cant come up with a full ten right off the top of my head, i can name a few. however, in no way should there be some unwritten list of bands, artists, subjects, or whatever, that blueblood should NOT cover.

im willing to give it a listen, watch it once, see what it is about, look for anything i can take away from it - i can still appreciate it, even if it falls outside my box. maybe my box will become larger as a result, maybe the walls separating 'us' from 'them' will get a lil lower. look at what we have in common - the things we share, and come up with a way to compare my interests to theirs.

ps. i would love to see blueblood cover: Collide, Unter Null, Omega Lithium, Android Lust, Angelspit, Ayria, The Birthday Massacre, Chiasm, and the author Caitlin Kiernan as well as the actress who plays Abbey Scuto on the tv series NCIS, Pauley Perratte.

That is a good list! Been a while since we did anything on some of those folks and a few we haven't covered at all yet. Forrest and I have shot Collide and we've shot Pauley many times. Don't know if you read it, but Caitlin actually has a shoutout to Blue Blood in her novel Silk, which was awesome of her.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

That is a good list! Been a while since we did anything on some of those folks and a few we haven't covered at all yet. Forrest and I have shot Collide and we've shot Pauley many times. Don't know if you read it, but Caitlin actually has a shoutout to Blue Blood in her novel Silk, which was awesome of her.
    i would love to see the shoots of them that you have done. unsure if a simple search will turn up anything; a link would help! and yeah, ive read Silk. i own two maybe three copies of that book(at least one is signed and numbered), but i toally missed the shoutout in it. do you know it, or where in the book it may be? even just a lousey paraphrase.

success by who's standards?

not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly View Post
    success by who's standards?

not mine.
    What is your definition of success?

I am going to think about the ten artists.

I'm not a music buff, but here's a couple 'bands with something cool about them that google couldn't find on BB.net outside of the boards:
    - Rotersand
    - Dead When I Found Her
    - Cinema Strange
    - Sopor Aeternus
    - The Scary Bitches

And if we're including other kinds of artists:
    - Carlton Mellick III (author)
    - Yukaman (of Manglo - digital painter)

I'm also rather interested in hearing from 'altmodels' (for lack of a better categorical term) who do something special for their own styling, about their crafts (and not so much which magazines and other stuff they may've been featured in), whether they've worked with BB in the past or not.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I keep being reminded about Howard Stern when ever I hear Sasha Grey's name come up. Off subject, Stern had gone on a tirade about all kinds of douche baggery berating Grey. This is the sort of thing Stern does this now alot as his shock value has gone down the crapper over the years. With that said I'm not a big fan of Eminem. Simply, not my thing. Man is good at what he does. We wouldn't be talking today about it if he wasn't. I look at this video and I'm thinking, "So this is still the most original thing in hip hop today? How Sad." I say this because hip hop and rap haven't changed that much in the last 10 years as a whole. You still hear the same subject matter and the same beats used over and over. We still have the same misogynistic and material lyrics. Eminem at least comes with songs ranging the whole spectrum. In alot of ways doing what MJ did in the manor of appealing to almost everyone in some fashion. I give him a nod, good use of Sasha Grey in this vid. And that's my 1.5 cents. Too poor for the othe .5.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death View Post
    I keep being reminded about Howard Stern when ever I hear Sasha Grey's name come up. Off subject, Stern had gone on a tirade about all kinds of douche baggery berating Grey. This is the sort of thing Stern does this now alot as his shock value has gone down the crapper over the years. With that said I'm not a big fan of Eminem. Simply, not my thing. Man is good at what he does. We wouldn't be talking today about it if he wasn't. I look at this video and I'm thinking, "So this is still the most original thing in hip hop today? How Sad." I say this because hip hop and rap haven't changed that much in the last 10 years as a whole. You still hear the same subject matter and the same beats used over and over. We still have the same misogynistic and material lyrics. Eminem at least comes with songs ranging the whole spectrum. In alot of ways doing what MJ did in the manor of appealing to almost everyone in some fashion. I give him a nod, good use of Sasha Grey in this vid. And that's my 1.5 cents. Too poor for the othe .5.
    I think the sadder thing is that Eminem is offering up the best thing in gothic music videos in 2011. Seems like someone besides Combichrist and Blue Blood photog Chad Ward should be making dark vids round about now.

But, yeah, the salient point is that Sasha Grey is in the video.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I think the sadder thing is that Eminem is offering up the best thing in gothic music videos in 2011. Seems like someone besides Combichrist and Blue Blood photog Chad Ward should be making dark vids round about now.

But, yeah, the salient point is that Sasha Grey is in the video.
    Oddly I'm surprised no one has come out with an internet killed the video star song yet. Because this would be the perfect senerrio to play it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Q: What is Space?

A: The substance in Eminem and Sasha Grey's heads.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

oh......I thought it said Enema and Sasha grey.......where do I put those reading glasses?........................but, wow, that's what he's putting out these days?..........That young man doesn't seem as happy as he used to be ten or so years ago

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

This one is pretty dark as well...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

That pissed me off that Rihanna would perform with an asshole misogynist like M&M. Although I hear that she has some pretty cool videos about her killing douchebags guys.

Of course it doesn't really matter because Rihanna is not a real person she's another one of those virtual simulates that the aliens have beamed down into that strange box in my living room. Or the record companies, same thing.

'Dude enters the song like a fist-size orange paintball on a stained glass window. He may want to lay off the testosterone supplementation for a bit.

I'll give it 'dark', though. I like the gritty detail in which he describes being a raging asshole. It's... almost early Manson, without any of the cool visuals.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    That pissed me off that Rihanna would perform with an asshole misogynist like M&M. Although I hear that she has some pretty cool videos about her killing douchebags guys.
    She has built her whole career and the persona that goes with it on flirting with that dynamic.

+ Reply to Thread