+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm on a diet

Default I'm on a diet

Yep.

Keep in mind, I have a very small frame for someone who's five foot six inches.
    When I moved from Florida to Kentucky, I went from 105 to 150.
    To other people this wouldnt be enough weight to suggest dieting, but with me, it is a bit overweight.

I've always been very thin.... except in Florida, I got very ill with Red Tide poisoning.
    I got it thru breathing, contaminated drink, and thru a big cut on my big toe.

I lost so much weight, I went from about 110 to 80lbs. I'd bruise when I'd get in the bathtub, everyone thought I was anorexic or something. (not taking a stab at anyone with a disorder, but rather giving you an actual mental image, and reporting the actual comments I'd get from concerned ppl.

I gained a bit of weight back before I got back to KY, I dont know if my body is in starvation crisis mode... but well, that and the beer....

But I'm gaining a lot.

SO... I've read that people who drink milk (this was also on a Special K commercial) that people who drink milk lose weight faster than someone who doesnt. I used to drink a lot of milk, but tapered off after my kidney stones.

SO, my new diet is to lay off a lot of the fattening foods.... and instead of eating ALL day like I normally do, I 've started drinking chocolate milk (even though its whole milk) Nestle Quick w/vitamin... everytime I feel the need to snack.
    (plus supplement with yogurt)

I'm pleased to say its working!!! I already eat pretty healthy
    Lots of fruit and veggies.... etc, but I also eat a lot of other stuff.

No chips really except tortilla chips ... I'm allergic to Monosodium Glutymate (MSG)

BUT IT'S WORKING... I've lost about 10 lbs in the last 2 weeks.
    I dont own scales, but my neighbor does.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: I'm on a diet

Wow, remind me not to get Red Tide poisoning. That sounds awful. How do you get over Red Tide?

Milk is kind of variable in how it works with adult systems. I went pretty much no-cow dairy recently and it has really improved both my skin and how I feel and made exercise easier, which in turn makes getting fit easier. I have soy milk and goat cheese and take calcium supplements though.

MSG gives me a pretty instant headache and time-to-lie-down fever in larger amounts, but sometimes I have little treats with it.

Chips are one of the hardest things for me to avoid. I do best on a low carb and low glycemic index diet, but chips make me want to break it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Its HORRIBLE!! I'm not from Florida, so I was extremely susceptible to the poisoning.
    I didnt have a resistance to it....it was so weird, when its in bloom, everyone starts acting really weird!!!

Everyone gets like, short tempered, and is just ....somehow.... off. They dont really know too much about it.
    Supposedly its caused from the shrimper boats dumping sewage into the ocean.... causing algae that only thrives when the ocean is cold...

I lived 3 miles from the beach, and I didnt catch it until we stayed at the beach over night ...long story.(while living 3 miles away, I had upper respiratory irritation, as did the rest of my family.

I didnt know that when the horrible diarrhea hit, a person isnt supposed to take IMMODIUM!!!
    Its supposed to run its course... I kept it in my system way way longer than it should have been
    Plus I'd eaten something that scratched my insides, incl my intestines, it took 3 weeks before I could even stand clothing touching my body. It got in my gall bladder causing the most horrid pain only thing comparable is child birth, I had my son without anything.
    And I passed two kidney stones at home.

During the worst of it....I had to literally CRAWL to the bathroom. and could only eat steamed carrots, and baked sweet potatoes.

With olive oil to make my gall bladder spasm to get it out of there.
    I was sick from the first week of March until the end of April!!!!
    I was on a lot of morphine too, and it didnt hardly phase it.
    It was like morphine wouldnt work.

It finally started subsiding when I started taking tagamet (cimetidine) to decrease my liver function to make the morphine stay in my system longer.
    It took a week of a ton of that.

Some people seem immune to it, but others it just ravages their systems.
    My husband got sick too, but no where near what I did.

I actually felt my spirit slipping from me a few times and I held on with everthing I had to not ....die.
    It was horribly scary, but I drank little sips of water and did my best to take care of my self as best as possible.

MSG makes me ache all over, it wreaks havoc on my Fibromyalgia...
    It also turns me into a short circuited bitch!!! With a headache.

The FDA approved it, for small doses, but most families consume SO much of it ... like instead of one side dish, its in every single dish!!!

I've seen kids that have ADD and ADHD and other disorders that have changed their diet .... and it cures their problem!
    It has been proven that too much causes kids' brain from developing properly.
    Not to mention the interactions it can have with medications, esp in high doses.

Its not worth it to me to have an addictive flavor enhancer such as that!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    MSG makes me ache all over, it wreaks havoc on my Fibromyalgia...
    It also turns me into a short circuited bitch!!! With a headache.

The FDA approved it, for small doses, but most families consume SO much of it ... like instead of one side dish, its in every single dish!!!

I've seen kids that have ADD and ADHD and other disorders that have changed their diet .... and it cures their problem!
    It has been proven that too much causes kids' brain from developing properly.
    Not to mention the interactions it can have with medications, esp in high doses.

Its not worth it to me to have an addictive flavor enhancer such as that!

It is amazing how difficult it is just to cut out artificial flavor enhancers like MSG and high fructose corn syrup. One tip: I had a doctor who mentioned to me that, if you are sensitive to MSG and similar compounds, you should avoid anything which says modified food starch too.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Its HORRIBLE!! I'm not from Florida, so I was extremely susceptible to the poisoning.
    I didnt have a resistance to it....it was so weird, when its in bloom, everyone starts acting really weird!!!

Everyone gets like, short tempered, and is just ....somehow.... off. They dont really know too much about it.
    Supposedly its caused from the shrimper boats dumping sewage into the ocean.... causing algae that only thrives when the ocean is cold...

I lived 3 miles from the beach, and I didnt catch it until we stayed at the beach over night ...long story.(while living 3 miles away, I had upper respiratory irritation, as did the rest of my family.

I didnt know that when the horrible diarrhea hit, a person isnt supposed to take IMMODIUM!!!
    Its supposed to run its course... I kept it in my system way way longer than it should have been
    Plus I'd eaten something that scratched my insides, incl my intestines, it took 3 weeks before I could even stand clothing touching my body. It got in my gall bladder causing the most horrid pain only thing comparable is child birth, I had my son without anything.
    And I passed two kidney stones at home.

During the worst of it....I had to literally CRAWL to the bathroom. and could only eat steamed carrots, and baked sweet potatoes.

With olive oil to make my gall bladder spasm to get it out of there.
    I was sick from the first week of March until the end of April!!!!
    I was on a lot of morphine too, and it didnt hardly phase it.
    It was like morphine wouldnt work.

It finally started subsiding when I started taking tagamet (cimetidine) to decrease my liver function to make the morphine stay in my system longer.
    It took a week of a ton of that.

Some people seem immune to it, but others it just ravages their systems.
    My husband got sick too, but no where near what I did.

I actually felt my spirit slipping from me a few times and I held on with everthing I had to not ....die.
    It was horribly scary, but I drank little sips of water and did my best to take care of my self as best as possible.

That is some seriously scary stuff. Glad you made it through okay.

+ Reply to Thread