+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Demi Moore Mohawk

Default Demi Moore Mohawk

Ashton Kutcher is the pretty much undisputed leading twit on Twitter. As of this moment, he has 2,839,413 followers, outflanking people like Barack Obama, Perez Hilton, Shaquille O'Neal...
    Read the full article

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Demi Moore Mohawk

You've never heard of Dude Where's My Car?

But you remember that Ashton Kutcher had one scene and no lines in Reindeer Games?

That's odd.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    You've never heard of Dude Where's My Car?

But you remember that Ashton Kutcher had one scene and no lines in Reindeer Games?

That's odd.

Looking down IMDB, I've heard of a number of the things he has been in, but his celebrity power far outstrips his acting accomplishments.

I have seen part of Dude Where's My Car, now that you mention it, though. And, upon closer inspection of IMDB, I saw Bobby as well. Doh!

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Acting accomplishments? He's a horrible actor. I really don't understand why shitty actors become the most famous. I think he needs a good freak accident to destroy his face, just to see how much popularity he'll have when he's disfigured.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    Acting accomplishments? He's a horrible actor. I really don't understand why shitty actors become the most famous. I think he needs a good freak accident to destroy his face, just to see how much popularity he'll have when he's disfigured.

I can't imagine why you would wish disfigurement on anyone. I realize you are sort of kidding, but that's just awful.

The whole point of the article is that Ashton Kutcher would most likely be described as a "famous actor" if someone was trying to explain who he is, but I think his accomplishments are much more complex than that and close to unrelated to his acting really.

Being over-the-top good-looking is usually an impediment to an acting career, as it tends to limit an actor's options to soap opera roles and being an extra in music videos. Being boyishly over-the-top good-looking is usually a larger impediment. I see tons of physically beautiful people in Los Angeles who can't get cast in anything to save their lives because they are too good-looking to be relatable for the average person. Casting directors do not want a character written to be a sympathetic everyman in a movie to bring up anyone's primal hope-his-face-gets-scarred sensibilities. So people who are a bit above average get cast waaaaaaaay more often than people who are much much better looking than average.

I think Ashton Kutcher is successful more for the way he pushed the reality envelope and his own power in co-creating Punk'd and his producing credits are probably more impressive than his acting ones and he has managed to leverage his access into greater fame and endorsements and monetize his lifestyle in a very future-of-media sort of way.

Here are a few personal quotes from Ashton Kutcher via IMDB which I think are somewhat relevant:

"Looks fade. Don't get too attached."

"I don't believe that old cliché that good things come to those who wait. I think good things come to those who want something so bad they can't sit still."

"I'll probably never be the best actor in Hollywood, but I hope to be the hardest working."

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i was hoping that the mohawk would be real, and that it was part of an upcoming movie she was in. bah! i think it looks good on her.

as to ashton, i find him more annoying than anything else. his movie and tv roles have been less than memorable. can he play anything besides a total moron? i also dont find him attractive in the slightest. he reminds me of a plastic ken doll.

i will admit though, that the scene in "dude, where's my car?" where they are trying to tel each other what the other one's tattoo says is a classic.

actually Amelia a user of Twitter is known as a "twat".

and Nathan- Remember Celeberity Disfigurement of Choice doesn't come to those who wait...

Okay then, let me rephrase that. I don't wish perminent disfigurement so much that I want something to happen that will help give him the chance to improve his acting career.

Has he even done anything noteworthy in the last... ever? At least since him and Demi started using each other as a publicity stunt?

The butterfly effect was pretty good. Sure the acting didn't blow anyone away, but it was outside of the dimwit pretty-boy role, so I give him kudos for that. the script was good and original, nice cinematography and editing.

Okay then, let me rephrase that. I don't wish perminent disfigurement so much that I want something to happen that will help give him the chance to improve his acting career.

Has he even done anything noteworthy in the last... ever? At least since him and Demi started using each other as a publicity stunt?

What did you not understand about my point in the the article where I said what I feel he has done which is noteworthy and how it differs from generic public perception/easy description?

I think this is the case where the headline and the sample was read and then posters went on to contribute a gestalt observation that may or may not be relevant to the actual article or anything else.

I can tell, I do it a lot too.

That's why I like this board. The phrase "on topic" is considered a polite suggestion rather than an imperative.

I think this is the case where the headline and the sample was read and then posters went on to contribute a gestalt observation that may or may not be relevant to the actual article or anything else.

I can tell, I do it a lot too.

That's why I like this board. The phrase "on topic" is considered a polite suggestion rather than an imperative.

I'm cool with gestalt observations. They tend to be interesting most of the time. I do find it frustrating when someone asks a question aggressively when the question has already been answered one click away. Although nathanmbailey may have just had a different point entirely of course.

It was a general statement, not directed necessarily to you, because for some reason there might be someone on the board that does like him. It was also to reiterate my point, even though I really don't have one.

It was a general statement, not directed necessarily to you, because for some reason there might be someone on the board that does like him. It was also to reiterate my point, even though I really don't have one.

He has used the evolution of media and cutting edge technology to become a powerful Hollywood producer and influential celebrity personality. Ashton Kutcher has managed to parlay a certain kind of famous access into something far larger than most. He is a perfect spokesman for digital cameras and micro-blogging services because he has managed to commodify certain parts of his existence in such a flawless and innovative way that, in 2009, the rest of society is panting to catch up. The mohawk pic he posted has now been viewed 189,189 times on TwitPic and that is not counting any of the more traditional media coverage.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I can't imagine why you would wish disfigurement on anyone. I realize you are sort of kidding, but that's just awful.

The whole point of the article is that Ashton Kutcher would most likely be described as a "famous actor" if someone was trying to explain who he is, but I think his accomplishments are much more complex than that and close to unrelated to his acting really.

Being over-the-top good-looking is usually an impediment to an acting career, as it tends to limit an actor's options to soap opera roles and being an extra in music videos. Being boyishly over-the-top good-looking is usually a larger impediment. I see tons of physically beautiful people in Los Angeles who can't get cast in anything to save their lives because they are too good-looking to be relatable for the average person. Casting directors do not want a character written to be a sympathetic everyman in a movie to bring up anyone's primal hope-his-face-gets-scarred sensibilities. So people who are a bit above average get cast waaaaaaaay more often than people who are much much better looking than average.

I think Ashton Kutcher is successful more for the way he pushed the reality envelope and his own power in co-creating Punk'd and his producing credits are probably more impressive than his acting ones and he has managed to leverage his access into greater fame and endorsements and monetize his lifestyle in a very future-of-media sort of way.

Here are a few personal quotes from Ashton Kutcher via IMDB which I think are somewhat relevant:

"Looks fade. Don't get too attached."

"I don't believe that old cliché that good things come to those who wait. I think good things come to those who want something so bad they can't sit still."

"I'll probably never be the best actor in Hollywood, but I hope to be the hardest working."
    I'm alittle confused. In what you wrote here you kind of make it sound likes he a little above average in the looks department, but in the artivle, you wrote:

**I know an awful lot of extremely physically beautiful people, yet, even among celebrities, Ashton Kutcher is so freakishly good-looking that I remember him being in the movie Reindeer Games***

To me, it makes it sound like you think he's a total friggin' hottie. Which is it? The reason I say this is because there has been certain actresses and actors, notably, Keanu Reeves and Darryl Hannah, that can't seem to act at all. They always are just themselves, and it seems like mostly it's their certain "distinct" good looks that keep them going in Hollywood. I really feel the same about Ashton Kutcher. Yes, he created Punk'd, but I do not really seem him as a great actor in any way shape or form. I think he mostly gets by because of his "distinct" good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I'm alittle confused. In what you wrote here you kind of make it sound likes he a little above average in the looks department, but in the artivle, you wrote:

**I know an awful lot of extremely physically beautiful people, yet, even among celebrities, Ashton Kutcher is so freakishly good-looking that I remember him being in the movie Reindeer Games***

To me, it makes it sound like you think he's a total friggin' hottie. Which is it? The reason I say this is because there has been certain actresses and actors, notably, Keanu Reeves and Darryl Hannah, that can't seem to act at all. They always are just themselves, and it seems like mostly it's their certain "distinct" good looks that keep them going in Hollywood. I really feel the same about Ashton Kutcher. Yes, he created Punk'd, but I do not really seem him as a great actor in any way shape or form. I think he mostly gets by because of his "distinct" good looks.

Ashton Kutcher is really good-looking, although deeply not my flavor, but what I think is interesting about him, from a social phenomena perspective, is that he would be described as a "famous actor" by most people giving the capsule version of who he is. But he is not particularly good at acting and has not been in particularly many successful movies. As an actor, I don't think he is really someone who can, as they say, put butts in the seats. Yet he is extremely influential, powerful, and successful via producing, show creation, Twitter, endorsements, and other types of work there are not neat and tidy names for, but which make a huge difference in his overall stock.

I do actually think Keanu Reeves gets really sold short for being a good actor. He played the part so well in Bill and Ted that everyone thought that was really him. Same thing happened to Robert Downey Jr in Less Than Zero. But I digress.

toxicat's Avatar catty member

How very lame that it's fake.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Ashton Kutcher is really good-looking, although deeply not my flavor, but what I think is interesting about him, from a social phenomena perspective, is that he would be described as a "famous actor" by most people giving the capsule version of who he is. But he is not particularly good at acting and has not been in particularly many successful movies. As an actor, I don't think he is really someone who can, as they say, put butts in the seats. Yet he is extremely influential, powerful, and successful via producing, show creation, Twitter, endorsements, and other types of work there are not neat and tidy names for, but which make a huge difference in his overall stock.

I do actually think Keanu Reeves gets really sold short for being a good actor. He played the part so well in Bill and Ted that everyone thought that was really him. Same thing happened to Robert Downey Jr in Less Than Zero. But I digress.
    I think in "Bill and Ted", Keanu played a stoner. I think in all his other movies though, he played "Keanu Reeves trying to act, but coming off like Keanu Reeves". And I don't think there's anything wrong with that, if your acting self is very likeable. Tom Hanks can act...In certain movies, but for the most part, he always plays "Tom Hanks". The difference though is his "Tom Hanks, the part" is very likable....Likeable by both genders. "Keanu Reeves, the part" is just very boring and monotone, hence not as "likeable". As for Ashton, I've yet to meet one guy who likes him as an actor. Some woman, yes. Guys, no. That doesn't mean you can't go far in hollywood, mostly being liked by one gender(As Ashton has proved), but if you can get both genders to like you, than the sky's the limit.

And as far as being "Hollywood" famous for really not doing big movies and such, I give you Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian, who both basically have done NOTHING really even considered "good" or even "fair" by acting standards, yet everybody sees them as "Hollywood" celebrities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones

And as far as being "Hollywood" famous for really not doing big movies and such, I give you Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian, who both basically have done NOTHING really even considered "good" or even "fair" by acting standards, yet everybody sees them as "Hollywood" celebrities.
    Exactly I think the closest I've ever come to seeing Kim Kardashian in something was Eminem spoofing her in a video, but I more or less know who she is. I think Ashton Kutcher is a much higher rung of celebrity, and perhaps that is fair as he actually makes something as a producer and show co-creator, but his celebrity is fundamentally out of the same odd framework of modern tools for fame and self-expression.

keanu reeves sucks balls. why did you have to bring him in to this?

The butterfly effect was pretty good. Sure the acting didn't blow anyone away, but it was outside of the dimwit pretty-boy role, so I give him kudos for that. the script was good and original, nice cinematography and editing.
    +1

+ Reply to Thread