Default Re: John Hughes Ugly in Pink

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    This thread makes me so sad!
    Why? That's certainly not my intention.

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Why? That's certainly not my intention.
    Mostly I had too much medication in me, and was feeling a little heart on the sleevy about the signaling out of John Hughes as a great evil force. To be honest, I think alot of the eighties was naively appearances obsessed, and that there were things that seemed really deep and important to me as a younger person, that seems stupid and two diamentional now.

I would never, however give back the idea of believing in what seems to be corny values under the hot light of the modern eye. It doesn't mean any of those ideals are realistic, but I think our world has gotten near obsessive with realism.

There is something to be said for a little fantasy of the way things are, and a portal into how single minded a teen can feel about things. When we grow up, we are less prone to see things in such a one-dimensional way, but...

Let me put it like this. Are you mad at say, Jim Henson for putting complex issues in such an amazingly simplified manner? Do you hate how simple the Smurfs are for not being deeper with their life lessons?

Futurama best summed it up when Fry said (while holding his 'Breakfast Club Soundtrack LP), "I can't wait until I get old enough to feel ways about stuff..."

funkatron's Avatar Dead Agent

Futurama best summed it up when Fry said (while holding his 'Breakfast Club Soundtrack LP), "I can't wait until I get old enough to feel ways about stuff..."
    God that was funny. I love that show.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Mostly I had too much medication in me, and was feeling a little heart on the sleevy about the signaling out of John Hughes as a great evil force. To be honest, I think alot of the eighties was naively appearances obsessed, and that there were things that seemed really deep and important to me as a younger person, that seems stupid and two diamentional now.

I would never, however give back the idea of believing in what seems to be corny values under the hot light of the modern eye. It doesn't mean any of those ideals are realistic, but I think our world has gotten near obsessive with realism.

There is something to be said for a little fantasy of the way things are, and a portal into how single minded a teen can feel about things. When we grow up, we are less prone to see things in such a one-dimensional way, but...

Let me put it like this. Are you mad at say, Jim Henson for putting complex issues in such an amazingly simplified manner? Do you hate how simple the Smurfs are for not being deeper with their life lessons?

Jim Henson simplified complex issues to teach children about the importance of education, reading, arithmetic, sharing, community, developing their imaginations, and being kind to one another. If I may bring up a value judgment, I think those values rock all over the John Hughes ones.

Also, Futurama is awesome.

Also, apparently I sometimes take a while to get around to some things.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

yeah, pretty in pink taught us that if you are an unattractive dude, no matter how much of an original and fun/creative person you might be and how hard you work to get a girl, even if she's not really that attractive either and has a low social standing, she'll blow you off for the rich pretty boy that gave her a momentary affection
    That harsh face-slap has led to me surviving life.
    I hate to say it, but it's true, and something I took to heart early.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Yeah, Sixteen Candles doesn't hold up well 20 years on. The bit where Molly Ringwald recoils at the suggestion she'd end up with a black guy (ew! no! "black car, pink guy") aged as poorly as LONG DUK DONG.

+ Reply to Thread