+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest Hair Mistake Evar?

Default Dumbest Hair Mistake Evar?

What's the dumbest thing you've ever done to your hair.
    This has to be something that you had to live with for awhile, like dying it some god-awful color or shaving a unicorn into the back of your head.

Worst I ever pulled was when I was a beauty school student I melted my girlfriends hair. Apparently you can't relax hair, then bleach it a couple of times and then a few months later relax it again. It achieved a texture I like to call "Gum in the Sun".
    She still likes to bring it up to embarrass me when my ego starts blotting out the sun.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Dumbest Hair Mistake Evar?

I read too many fairy tales as a kid, so I always liked long hair, but there was a time period when short spiky gelled hair was sorta in and I liked it. So I tried to have an asymmetrical haircut with it short and gelled spiky on one side fading into my more usual haircut and normal on the other side. Only I went to this high end salon where my grandmother went and they were horrified by what I wanted and I kept telling them to cut more off and more off and they were like it will make our salon look bad and I was like, fine, I won't tell anyone who did it. So it ended up not short enough to spike properly but not remotely even either. It looked more like a mistake than a not-quite-extreme enough style

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Though technically that's the salons fault, isn't it?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I used to shave the back of my head, and everytime I had to have it re-done I'd end up getting someone different to do it. Every one of them said,"Oh god, who did this last time? It's so uneven. I'll fix it don't worry." Needless to say my undercut kept creeping upwards until I finally decided it looked dumb enough to shave it all off. FYI: the skinhead look does not work for me. Damn small head I have.

In High School I shaved the sides of my head... I liked it...

BUT

MY MOST HORRIBLE MISTAKE....

I used to let my sister give me highlights... She'd start first with my brother, and since he had short hair, I didnt want to see the rest of it go to waste... and used the rest on MY hair...

OK.. it was the day before my sister's wedding, AND SHE WAS BUSY so I let mom do it....
    IT WAS HORRIBLE, She didnt know how to 'paint' them in, so she thought it would be better to pull my LONG hair thru a cap... she gouged big grooves into my scalp with the metal hook....
    She did a HORRIBLE job of it too....
    PLUS.. my sister had colored my brother's hair THE DAY BEFORE... so the mixture that ended up on my hair was a day old...

It burnt my hair UP... I had Kentucky HICK orange spots, bright BLOND spots...
    and frazzled hair all over....

I freaked out...
    I put olive oil on my hair to nourish it... as a last ditch effort.

I wore a towel on my head until I got to an actual salon.
    Just to hear everyone shriek once I took the towel off....

My hair is naturally a dark blond, (I'm the one in the jeans and black shirt)
    but we had to go brown to make it look normal...
    MY SCALP burned so badly from all the scratches...

With all the coloring agents.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I used "Touch of Sun" in junior high, and it some how ended up as just one blonde wierd streak in front, if I can find my yearbook picture, I should scan it, it was gross.

Syrran's Avatar Pocket Puerto Rican
    I'm a gypsy, I'm not really from anywhere.

I think....my biggest mistake was when I used to highlight my hair. Not because it necessarily looked bad, it just really wasn't me. My hair is darkest brown naturally with olive skin tone though...so it wasn't the best idea either. I ended up dying it purple right after that and ended up with raven purple hair with royal purple streaks. That on the other hand was awesome.

Damn, that DOES sound awesome!

I wanna try that!

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Not getting it cut. I look like something out of the 80s right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    In High School I shaved the sides of my head... I liked it...

My hair is naturally a dark blond, (I'm the one in the jeans and black shirt)
    More of this, please.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

I cut it short, like it barely goes to my ears, biggest mistake ever, my hair hasn't been less than 1 ft. long since

I cut my hair twice and donated it.... but since then i've kept it long...cept the undercut of course.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

never letting it grow more than 3-4 inches long for 20 somethin years.

also not getting product for when i did grow it out.... but thanks to these boards, thats fixed now.

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    More of this, please.
    hells ya

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I did the whole Robert Smith thing a long time ago, but fortunately there are no pictures. Though it did allow me to grow my hair. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Bob Smith look, but it's not really practical at work.

Depends on what you do I guess. Dated a guy with long hair who was in IT and was actually the guy they always sent to clients. Always wore black as well even though they had company shirts. His take was either people would view him as young and arrogant or good enough at his job to dress however he liked, and he didn't look young so it was pretty much always the latter. Didn't convince him to let me repierce his labret while I was apprenticing though...ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    More of this, please.
    I'd gladly share, I'm looking for a hottie to explore some more

Glad you like

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

the dumbest thing I've done to my hair was not going to a decent salon to get a haircut after I cut my dreads out. I paid for two hair cuts that day: the first one that fucked it up, and the second really expensive one to fix it.
    in my deffense, however, I had dreads for seven years; hence not having been to a salon in seven years.... I guess I kinda forgot that even for the most basic hair cut, you have to go to a decent salon.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I guess I kinda forgot that even for the most basic hair cut, you have to go to a decent salon.
    Yep. I'm capable of giving $15 hair cuts but you don't want one.

Since I'm all for saving a buck or two.... you wouldn't do me dirty would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Awesome
    Yep. I'm capable of giving $15 hair cuts but you don't want one.
    It's the airfare that's the killer....

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

I'd gladly share, I'm looking for a hottie to explore some more

OrgK,
    come to Osaka and I'll introduce you to all the Japanese hotties you want :-)

Right now I'm trying to grow my hair out, finally got it to my shoulders. My bangs are down to my chin. Trying hard to not let the wife cut it short, she's a hair stylist so I always get my hair cut at home. I let her trim it two months ago and she cut more than I wanted. Big mistake, so now I'm right back at where I had it before. I hope I can survive the summer heat without giving into the impulse to cut it down to an inch, which is how I usually had it for the longest time.

Gave myself a short mohawk once. That lasted about 6 hours.

Since I'm all for saving a buck or two.... you wouldn't do me dirty would you?
    I'd do you cheep and dirty baby yeah.
    Sorry, the setup was too good.
    I do trade and gratis work all the time for people with skills I need or _really really_ good friends and the occasional model (who don't get any say in the final result).
    I'm pretty much over the doing friends hair for free stage since it's my livelyhood, it's annoying, and I have a lot of friends so it takes up a lot of goddamn time.

My husband is a natural genius when it comes to computers, and just because I have a huge family, they all think they're entitled to a free fix.

That was a good set up and delivery I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by rikosaka
    OrgK,
    come to Osaka and I'll introduce you to all the Japanese hotties you want :-)
    Share the wealth for fuck's sake. Some of us are gasping for a shag.

When I was about 13 and in a phase I can refer to only as "Death Hippie", I asked the stylist to shave a peace sign into my undercut. Unfortunately, she was from somewhere in Europe where the peace sign is apparently nonexistant. Howerev, she failed to explain this to me, and did her best at remembering what one looked like. Leaving me, in the end, with what could only be an enormous chicken footprint shaved in the back of my head,

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon
    When I was about 13 and in a phase I can refer to only as "Death Hippie", I asked the stylist to shave a peace sign into my undercut. Unfortunately, she was from somewhere in Europe where the peace sign is apparently nonexistant. Howerev, she failed to explain this to me, and did her best at remembering what one looked like. Leaving me, in the end, with what could only be an enormous chicken footprint shaved in the back of my head,
    Awesome Maybe chicken footprint means you were a peaceful Swede or something.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

I'll just paste in what I wrote in my BBB public profile

Previous Hair Colors:
    how about the ones i've NOT had... not many . some were accidents that were not that handy until this qn. like when I tried for green and got flouro yellow. I looked like I'd left my liver at home & work sent me home assuming illness and contagions.

This because I didn't bleach my hair white enough during in the initial part of the process

I also got flicked from high school for etching a parody of the US flag into the back of my noggin. It looked totally crap too.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Fluro Yellow sounds awesome though!

Ace's Avatar Senior Member

some weeks ago, when I decided to go blue, it was because my dark brown hair was growing out and my natural blonde hair was coming back in. So, I had my mom bleach it out. My mom has been dying hair for herself and her friends at home for longer than I have been alive, she's done my hair before with great results. I didn't know she hadn't bleached hair before, so when all was said and done, my hair looked like this:

This is the photo on my BYID card (the card that allows me to buy liquor/enter clubs, etc. in Ontario.

Well, since it looks like 3 different colours, I guess it suits my purposes, considering how often my hair changes.

EDIT: Wow, the scanner blew that up huge...I dont know how I feel about my face being that big, lol

Oh my GOD. Canadian, much?

Oh right, you are.

Bedlamite

I have times when I randomly feel my hair needs to be bleached. The first time, I let the lady at the hair salon convince me I didn't want Platinum, but this 'golden blond' shade.

When all was said and done, I had yellow hair, which made my skin pink.

She re-did it for me, although she was huffy and aggravated and insisted it was my fault for picking out the hair color. Despite the fact that my biggest fault was letting her talk me into the bad hair color I didn't really want.

Clearly, I didn't let anyone do that again.

Now THAT'S a hot Canuck!

So she blamed you for her mistake, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    some weeks ago, when I decided to go blue, it was because my dark brown hair was growing out and my natural blonde hair was coming back in. So, I had my mom bleach it out. My mom has been dying hair for herself and her friends at home for longer than I have been alive, she's done my hair before with great results. I didn't know she hadn't bleached hair before, so when all was said and done, my hair looked like this:

This is the photo on my BYID card (the card that allows me to buy liquor/enter clubs, etc. in Ontario.

Well, since it looks like 3 different colours, I guess it suits my purposes, considering how often my hair changes.

EDIT: Wow, the scanner blew that up huge...I dont know how I feel about my face being that big, lol

Bleaching is a fine art, esp. when there's pre-existing color in the hair. You have to do a split aplication, first to the hairshaft and then when the shaft has reached two shades from desired lightness apply with a lower volume developer to the roots. You also want the hair foiled so that it incubates the bleach and prevents runnoff from the chemical reaction that happens when bleach and the mordants in cheep dye mix. Blue is one of those shades that's hard to get unless the hair is virgin before bleaching because most dyes will leave an orange psudo-melanin that bleach doesn't break up well. That orange mixes with the transparent blue stain-dye and makes a muddy greenish color (if your lucky) or the two will cancel each other out and give you an ugly flat brown.
    You can probably get away with bleaching it again (don't bleach the roots!) and then coloring it followed by a PROFESSIONAL deep condition preferably at a salon that uses Bumble and Bumble, Enjoy, Pureology, or Redken products. Otherwise your hair will feel like shit and the color wont stay. It'll still be damaged and you'll have to get a top notch conditioner for home use and a leave in conditioner to make combing it easier. Also a wide tooth professional quality plastic brissle denman brush will make the comb through easier.

Or you could go see a local hair guru and have them work their magic. It'll cost more dollars but it'll save your hair and sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I have times when I randomly feel my hair needs to be bleached. The first time, I let the lady at the hair salon convince me I didn't want Platinum, but this 'golden blond' shade.
    I've had plat and I've done it, and it is Impossible if your hair is not completely virgin of color or other chemical processes. Even then it's a right royal bitch to keep.

Bedlamite

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Awesome
    I've had plat and I've done it, and it is Impossible if your hair is not completely virgin of color or other chemical processes. Even then it's a right royal bitch to keep.
    Oh yeah.

My hair was utterly virgin, and quite light at the time, it was just that the lady could not be convinced I wanted Marilyn Platinum, and she talked me into getting the 'golden blond'. I was like, 19 years old and less prone to tell random people to do what I'm asking or kiss my butt.

I've had it platinum several times since. The iron in the local water makes it even more of a bitch to maintain, but I managed six months of Platinum last year. Fortunately, the Southern Ladies know how to bleach. ^_^

The thought of me with platinum hair is just laughable...so I don't have that particular predicament. :P

Lilly's Avatar Member

I would look terrible blonde - worst hair mistake for me ....

When I was about 15 I had very long hair, waist length infact, it was also straight as a poker. For some reason I decided that straight hair was comparable to limp hair and went and got a perm ...

I told the lady I wanted loose tumbling curls, I ended up with tiny ringlets maybe 1cm in radius. It was terrible if I brushed it, it puffed out into an afro and combing it took forever. Ofcourse she had told me that the curls would drop and they didn't - I had curls like that for months. While I think curls are sexy I discovered then that ringlets - not a good look for me.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I've also done the Blonde Gary Numan look before.

+ Reply to Thread