+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are ethnic or racial slurs ever okay?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Are ethnic or racial slurs ever okay?

My parents were two of the first card-carrying members of the NAACP and they never could figure out how to explain certain issues of ethnicity and race to their children, so they just never got around to it. I learned about things like slavery and the Holocaust in school, but I thought that was all the stuff of history books and the far flung past, not anything real people did or thought in the here and now.

I'm going to admit right off the bat here that I do tend to think most ethnic or racial prejudice (even in a positive direction) is ignorant verging on immoral. So consider yourself forewarned if you don't want to discuss the issue with someone who has a very jaundiced view of the very concept of ethnic and racial differences, much less negative differences.

That said, in your opinion are ethnic or racial slurs ever okay? Do you think they are okay if you happen to be a member of the group you are dissing? If you believe the prejudice? If you feel you are reclaiming terminology? If they are funny? If the only people present are all the same ethnic and/or racial group i.e. all the same one being spoken of or none the same group being spoken of? What are your thoughts?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Are ethnic or racial slurs ever okay?

I can ACADEMICALLY see the argument in Chris Rock referring to the difference between "black people" and "n*****s" but frankly, I'm in your camp Amelia, I don't think slurs of any kind hold any value.

Bedlamite

My deeper feelings intellectually are that its important to not empower words forever. There is always going to be an inner-familiar vibe to slurs, said within communities but frowned upon outside. Its 'Hey! Don't make fun of this person, that's My Job' syndrome.

I've always felt that the road to Political Correctness, and the whole side of that coin are on a road that cannot be won. Political Correctness in itself very quickly runs into a place of tyranny that it idealistically is trying to rid itself of. Its bound to happen when one type of people is labeled as bad, always bad, and forever bad for their past sins.

Everyone is going to be offended by something at some point, and we all need to be a bit more fluid about it. One slur does not a racist make, but the action of abusing lessors, encouraging certain mind-sets, and being static of mind and opinion are much worse than a bad word. In my opinion anyway.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. That's all I have to say about that.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Ethnic slurs are just words. Apologies for them are just words.

If one carries no weight, neither does the other. It's the intent that counts, not the list of letters you use to convey it.

Whoever you are, there's an entry on this list referring to you, so what's the point in trying to avoid it? You can call someone stupid because they're stupid, and it's socially acceptable but still insults them. Call them black because they're black and it becomes unacceptably offensive - but why? Because there's a campaign group saying so?

There will always be races. Races actually sounds wrong for me. Let's use word types of human. Black, yellow, white and so on. And there are physiological and cultural differences. And that I think is a beauty of this world.

I'm more afraid of hidden racism or nazism from people that act politically right on their outside but still work behind your back and teach their children wrong values. With a skinhead you know what you're up to.

One story makes me think that there might be more racist Afroamericans than Caucasians in USA. When that friend of mine was living in states he was stationed in NYC for a while and one night he went out to a bar in Harlem with some friends and response from bartender when he ordered a drink was: "What are you doing here when you're white?" He responded with: " Maybe my skin is white, but my heart is black." That got him a free drink later on from same bartender.

I have no experience with US and only thing I can judge things from is TV, internet or personal experiences from friends of mine. Is it realy like that? That more blacks are racist then whites?

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I am southern, doesn't brother me when, people like to drop down a few pegs just because I am at that. He's from the south, he most be a redneck... I am also a Tennesseans born and raised, that means hill billy to some. I personally like being called a ridge runner.... Just because I do not support Israel does that make be a bad person? In some people eyes, yes! it does....
    If you act like human, then ill treat you as such doesn't matter what color you are. Its simple line, across that ill try to lower myself but it has happen. I do not believe in political correctness, the idea that we have to have social out spoken law! why? That should be a given, unspoken treat people as you wish to be treated.

There are so many ways, that humanity has sub-divided humanity...race, religion, culture, region, area, class, the list can go on....political right or left.... we have to look past that to bigger picture. See the world for what it is, and make the best of that world.

I see no problem with taking pride in your heritage, or culture. As long as it doesn't protect hate in targeted way to others. I know that in itself is fine line, I am southern damn proud of that and I am Scot-Irish.....

As long as you do not take act with said slur, we have no problem. If you do, you get to see side of me I really do not like to show.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Do keep in mind Amelia, it's a generational thing.

Kids these days have no problems tossing around "that's gay!" or "that's so retarded!" but then again, they tend to actually have no malice to either group.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I wish that race was not an issue. But often I thing people want to not talk about it and hope that it will come true, and it doesn't work like that.

we can ban every racist word, but that won't make people stop being racists.

it's like the worlds oldest joke.
    "You can't say it."

"what can't you say?"

"It."

"But you just said it."

"So did you. Now we both said it."

So let's keep those words, but let's speak out against them and even more importantly about what they mean and where they came from.

and when you use them to make a joke you are trying to do that in a positive way, to show how futile and stupid racism and racist words are, but in a way that makes people feel good. laughter is the best medicine.

people criticize these comedians for focusing on racial issues, but like I said, those issues exist, and I commend them on bringing them out into the light and opening up discourse so that we can talk about how we want to address race in the future. I don't know about you, but when I see a black guy laughing at mel brooks, and a white guy laughing at chris rock, and an asian guy laughing at carlos mencia, I think that is a step in the right direction.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I wouldn't view KKK missives in english being the same as ukrainians telling ukrainian jokes about ukrainian folks in ukrainian. I think most ethnic/racial slurs lie somewhere in between. I'd have to know the exact context they were being spoken in.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

are we talking racism as in a simple colour thing here?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

In my circle of friends there is no mercy. We're always making fun of eachother and calling eachother names. Not only the n word, the w word, the s word but also, freak, geek, spaz, and shit for brains (you know, whatever fits). None of us take offence because we all know that neither of us means it in a malicious way. Would I walk up to someone I don't really know that well and call them names? NO! That is just rude. Plus, you never know how people are going to react. I once said the word 'chick' when referring to a female and a female acquaintance of mine went beserk on me! This word is offensive to her. Ok...get over it! I don't think women have the brain capacity of a bird. (seriously, that was her argument!) It's just a word!!!
    It IS all about context. Deliberately trying to hurt someone is NOT cool, and when racial slurs turn to violence and hate crimes, that is most definitely NOT cool.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I don't believe there should ever be a need for slurs. But, the older I get the more I realize there's a reason for everything.

Karl
    stupid people in traffic, people who cut you off, sometime a break down a just a little I look like psycho in my truck. No one can hear, but it helps in Atlanta Traffic to do so.....

Kill Whitey.

...there that's an acceptible racial slur.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    Kill Whitey.

...there that's an acceptible racial slur.
    I spent the entire democratic primary dissing some white folks. I know it's an insidious trait I have though. I don't know what to do about it. I'm a minimalist. I don't live within the normal class system. Even with a JD, I still won't. I can't even take that seriously. It was one of those times where you know you're being an asshole but don't stop.

OEC

Hahaha. Yeah, I can empathize. It's like that Eddie Murphy sketch "Kill all the white people, oh yeah, oh yeah. But buy my album first."

It IS wrong, but it's too much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    Hahaha. Yeah, I can empathize. It's like that Eddie Murphy sketch "Kill all the white people, oh yeah, oh yeah. But buy my album first."

It IS wrong, but it's too much fun.
    Haha yeah true. You kind of reel it in when you see Ralph Nader accusing Obama of "talking white" and Mu'ammar Al-Qadhafi giving campaign advice.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

To me, it depends on who is around.

I am not going to say or do things that might really hurt or upset someone. If I am out in public with my friends, I am not going to use those kinds of terms, because there might be someone in earshot who had a family member who was killed because they were black, or gay, or jewish, etc... So I am not going to discredit how painful some of those terms might be for some people...

But if I am in private with my friends, we make fun of racial differences amongst ourselves. Usually the black or latino friends making fun of their own culture and stereotypes. Like if I ask my Mexican friend to bring something to a party, he will joke about bringing salsa, because "That's all us Mexicans eat, right?" Or my black friend making jokes about robbing people, or getting his welfare check. And I will joke about being the man, and keeping them down. But because we all know that we are not at all racist or prejudiced, we can joke around, and no one gets upset.

I hope that in the future, there is less racism overall, and people can stop worrying about being so politically correct all the time. Some stereotypes are true, in a general way, and sometimes they are funny. So why not laugh about it? As long as there is no hate involved...

Death Knight
    I agree with that PC almost set up road blocks between races. Your friends break that road block and enjoy life. Some people are not that thick skin about matters Race, Religion, culture or football teams.....

Busters friend and OEC
    I know you 2 are joking around about it. PC has forced a one lane road so to speak. If it was directed racial slur, being it kill whitey or cracker ect. As "white" person I could not really retaliate. Any given public board or forum, I would be crucified! That is true fact! I hate to say... I believe both side of that should be condemned for those action.

Death knight, I believe racism will go away in time we all hope. Religion conflicts, that has pledged humanity for countless years. To me that is more harmful than racism.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I have nothing against anyone if their black, white , purple or pink with blue spots.
    HOWEVER "Racist" joke can be okay (I lernt most of the Aboriginal one I know from an Aboriginie) but their is a time, place, and limit on what should be said.
    Jokes that are ment to hurt people sholud never be considered jokes.

+ Reply to Thread