+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GNR Chinese Democracy Faith and Astroturf

Default GNR Chinese Democracy Faith and Astroturf

I first came across Guns n Roses' Appetite for Destruction when I was a teenage metal DJ on the radio in Connecticut.

A little background explanation: I got into doing this gig partly because I'd gone to high school overseas and...
    Read the full article

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: GNR Chinese Democracy Faith and Astroturf

How do you define class? I never saw this (at least in the normal sense of socioeconomics) amongst most people who loved punk and deathrock back then.

OEC

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

This album has been a cluster fuck since day one.now 9 tracks have leaked from what I have read. At this rate the damn album will come out on dooms day.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    How do you define class? I never saw this (at least in the normal sense of socioeconomics) amongst most people who loved punk and deathrock back then.

OEC

This would have nothing to do with how *I* would define class. Just how some people I went to college with seemed to view it, in the area of musical tastes. Keep in mind that these are a small subset of people into punk and deathrock i.e. the Venn diagram of people who not only love punk and deathrock but who also attend small, competitive, liberal colleges in New England. Many of my oddly elitist classmates were also into other genres, such as reggae, but my actual friends tended to have more punk, deathrock, and/or pop tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    This would have nothing to do with how *I* would define class. Just how some people I went to college with seemed to view it, in the area of musical tastes. Keep in mind that these are a small subset of people into punk and deathrock i.e. the Venn diagram of people who not only love punk and deathrock but who also attend small, competitive, liberal colleges in New England. Many of my oddly elitist classmates were also into other genres, such as reggae, but my actual friends tended to have more punk, deathrock, and/or pop tastes.
    I see. I only ran across that at a few specific points back then (boarding school being the obvious). Beyond that, I'd be pulling out the Bret Easton Ellis novels. They are usually just referred to as "musical snobs" these days. I think that term is used in a deceptive manner sometimes (musical snobs being people who like music the critic doesn't). I know they types you're talking about though. They were fairly obnoxious.

OEC

If the tracks were actually leaked, then people have them and they will be available on bit torrent.

Geffen, the RIAA, the Eff Bee Eye, and Jay Edgar Hoover's tranny ghost can flap their little chicken arms about all they want, it doesn't mean shit.

On the other hand, if this is just more astroturfing... meh.

I recently read a quote by David Bryne saying he's got loads of Talking Heads material that their record company won't let him release.

Let the dinosaurs struggle in the tar pit.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I see. I only ran across that at a few specific points back then (boarding school being the obvious). Beyond that, I'd be pulling out the Bret Easton Ellis novels. They are usually just referred to as "musical snobs" these days. I think that term is used in a deceptive manner sometimes (musical snobs being people who like music the critic doesn't). I know they types you're talking about though. They were fairly obnoxious.

OEC

I loved Rules of Attraction, partly for the realism. Parts of American Psycho too, in all fairness, but it got redundant. Musical snob sounds like it would be good terminology for it, not sure how I first heard that phrase used.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I loved Rules of Attraction, partly for the realism. Parts of American Psycho too, in all fairness, but it got redundant. Musical snob sounds like it would be good terminology for it, not sure how I first heard that phrase used.
    It would have been perfect for what you describe. Unfortunately, there is a tendency towards being labelled such for preferring some older bands in a given genre. It still can be a valid term when used correctly.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread