+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wall-e

Syrran's Avatar Pocket Puerto Rican
    I'm a gypsy, I'm not really from anywhere.

Default Wall-e

So I went to see WALL-E with my younger brother today and I have to say that I am completely disgusted with pixar. The propaganda that they push on children is absolutely outlandish. It was very go green, and very anti obesity. Yes helping the environment and keeping yourself at a healthy weight are great things but to show the opposite in such a negative light...

All the humans in the movie were obese and were stuck in chairs not knowing how to walk. I can appreciate a good old fashioned sci fi satire with the rest of them but for chrissakes this is aimed at children. I can just imagine children seeing this and thinking less of their heftier counterparts which just isn't okay.

Not to mention the fact that the whole go green campaign is just a sad fad. People are so obsessed with buying cars with better emissions yadda yadda when really they'd be helping the environment MORE if they just stuck with the car they had, saving on all the energy used to manufacture these cars. Not to mention the whole gasoline/ethanol thing. If you want to go green if you want to save the environment research it, don't just go by stickers and tags and cartoon movies.

That is all....

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Wall-e

the movie makes fun of fat polluting assholes? I say right on!

hey, do what you want to, but don't expect everyone else to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I think that we need to have more movies that says HEY KID LAY OFF THE FUCKING MCDONALDS!

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Syrran

All the humans in the movie were obese and were stuck in chairs not knowing how to walk.

unless you missed the part of the movie that explains why theyre like that, you cant really say that kind of scenario isnt plausible....

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    the movie makes fun of fat polluting assholes? I say right on!

hey, do what you want to, but don't expect everyone else to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I think that we need to have more movies that says HEY KID LAY OFF THE FUCKING MCDONALDS!
    I have no problem with it when it isn't targeted at little kids who don't necessarily have the capacity to research why people are fat or why the planet is going to shit. It wasn't educational, it was derogatory. As I said previously I have no problem with the message, just how and where it was presented. It just had no tact. Its just another self righteous fad that started in the right direction and then went awry.

Quote Originally Posted by GnArKiLL
    unless you missed the part of the movie that explains why theyre like that, you cant really say that kind of scenario isnt plausible....
    Not to that degree no, I think people are much too vain in general for that. Is it a problem that is getting worse...yes I agree.

well, I would hope that those, or really anything else that they see, would be discussed by their parents. But their parents probably aren't smarter than a fifth grader, and they don't really understand it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    well, I would hope that those, or really anything else that they see, would be discussed by their parents. But their parents probably aren't smarter than a fifth grader, and they don't really understand it either.
    touche. It seems to me that the more intelligent a person is the less likely they are to have kids...

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

going green is just another way to make green, more power to them. If the masses buy into such thing, they get what they get. I am a little over weight myself, I battle with my heftiness. I also saw Wall-e today, yeah i got a hint of what you are talking about. I think the should have been to help out your fellow person.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

And of course, Disney/Pixar's commitment to not making waste and not encouraging kids to consume means that there's no WALL-E merchandising to make a buck...

oh wait, fuck

http://www.mymoviemerchandise.com/wa...erchandise.htm

there is

Wonder how much packaging you get with it?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

propaganda in cartoons....................................what will they think of next

have you ever seen the WWII propaganda with Donald Duck? crazy..

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

YES! That was crazy! My ex had a bunch old Bugs Bunny cartoons on tape too. I can't remember exactly, but something similar. Cartoons were pretty crazy when I was young (not that I'm that old, but some of them were really violent, and I don't think people thought much of it at the time.

Bugs Bunny nips the Nips? Egads.

Or "Coal Black and de sebben dwarves" (sic)

Not to mention...how many people noticed that the scarecrow in the wizard of oz has a gun when they go to the wicked witch? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Syrran
    Not to mention...how many people noticed that the scarecrow in the wizard of oz has a gun when they go to the wicked witch? O_o
    S-dogg always be strapped, mang.

Mind you, considering witch physiology, it's the one time in which a water pistol would actually make more sense.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I was kinda shocked when I saw the previews for this movie, Wall-E looks like an almost identical mini version of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, which I absolutely love that movie, but can't help but wonder why they just couldn't be creative and think up of a differant robot.

Everyone I know who saw the film says they felt really fat and depressed after leaving the theatre (myself included).

Yeah, the robot was cute and bits of the film were very clever but it was very in-your-face about how humans suck for destroying the planet and we're all doomed to be fat, lazy slobs in 700 years.

well fuck this movie! i'm going to go eat at mcdonalds and throw the wrapper on the ground because I resent someone telling me that I'm an unhealthy polluter.

the truth hurts. If it wasn't true, then people wouldn't be pissed off about it. and If it doesn't apply to you, then you should be saying the same thing. why should we encourage people to be lazy and ignorant and pussies that are afraid to ever speak up about anything? I'm sick of this society and it's attitude of always settling for the path of least resistance and passing the buck.

and I applaud Pixar for making a movie that has a real social message instead of just mindless nonsense.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    I was kinda shocked when I saw the previews for this movie, Wall-E looks like an almost identical mini version of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, which I absolutely love that movie, but can't help but wonder why they just couldn't be creative and think up of a differant robot.
    That's the first thing I thought when I saw the preview, "My god Johnny 5 fucked ET!!!!!)

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    That's the first thing I thought when I saw the preview, "My god Johnny 5 fucked ET!!!!!)
    Haha! And what a cute baby they made.

I really liked it. Yes, everyone was fat. I did think that was a bit off, although it also led to the interesting result that all of the human heroes were fat. How often does that happen in a film? As for the green thing, I think we live in a time where sci-fi pretty much HAS to explore where we are going with this mess.

Besides, Eve was about the best female character in an animated film ever.

Although I AM still worried about where those turtles came from at the end...

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon
    I really liked it. Yes, everyone was fat. I did think that was a bit off, although it also led to the interesting result that all of the human heroes were fat. How often does that happen in a film? As for the green thing, I think we live in a time where sci-fi pretty much HAS to explore where we are going with this mess.

Besides, Eve was about the best female character in an animated film ever.

Although I AM still worried about where those turtles came from at the end...
    Yeah I had the same thought, but I just assumed it was like in Titan A.E. where they had genetic samples in the ship.

I am most of the time against big government in any form. I do not want them in my personally life, but with the way things are going. Maybe for health of the youth , government might need to step in have youth health program.

Strong well-trained citizen's militia (much like switzerland) starting about 16 on... you have to sever, there is no other way.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

That would defeat the purpose of the US

what purpose is that? to have other interest than it own citizens
    If you want peace, prepare for war or if you dont want Fat kids, prepare for war.

if you want to play a meaningless card game, prepare for war.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus88
    what purpose is that? to have other interest than it own citizens
    If you want peace, prepare for war or if you dont want Fat kids, prepare for war.
    Government size and spending increased by 60% under the Bushies, McCain admitted that....

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

I don't think there should be mandatory Military service, but mandatory menial labor to aid your country, that I could get behind.

that is very true BP, you are right..Its all in the matter of what parts of government are growing?
    Doctoc, I am not talking about for the rest of your life military service, but at least 300 days with in 10 years. That isnt really ask for that much?
    thats good point, I just believe in strong military and the fact the US to me lacks National pride. Your way would do the same thing, Hard work never hurt anyone. Bring pride to yourself. Lets combine those 2 ideas you have something to suit everyone. Building boarder fence would serve both ideas well.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

I'm talking about letting Military substitute the menial labor. Make it so that you can do one or the other. It's for the people who do not want to go out and kill people. Give them a choice to do other things to aid their country.

I already have to work and give the government part of my wage. you want me to work for free now? that sounds like a raw deal to me.

Morning is never for free the national guard pays, not very well. it is still pay none the less for your time. More to than just "killing people" as doctor put it. To me there are roles to suit everyone. This all bases on more defensive out look, then a offensive. If noting else might help to open peoples mind to new field, new job, that would not have had the chance to see other wise. Even if all you lean is how to deafened yourself, believe that is better than not knowing.
    Menial labor should be done by prisoner, not by the citizens. They need a better way to pay for their said crimes, other than becoming better criminals in prison.

+ Reply to Thread