+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm freaking out.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default I'm freaking out.

I don't want to bore everyone with details as to why I'm having a massive panick attack right now but does this happen to anyone else here? And what do you do to calm yourself? I've already taken an Ativan but it's not really helping...so..what now? Aaaagggghhhhhh.......

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: I'm freaking out.

Check your inbox, Mystoo.

Breathing technique is helpful... and anything to keep your mind busy from thinking... like loud music or making something creative that uses much of concentration. You might as well try to handwrite. Keep your mind occupied with something else.

I'm going to watch Hellraiser and take my mind off things for a while. I hope.

Syrran's Avatar Pocket Puerto Rican
    I'm a gypsy, I'm not really from anywhere.

I've had panic attacks since before I can remember and I was diagnosed at eleven. Honestly the best thing I can tell you is to FOCUS on it. The more you focus on trying to get yourself to panic the more your brain will realize you aren't really in danger that and if you have problems breathing get a mint or a pure menthol cough drop, it opens up the airways.

Thank you Syrran and Olix (you too BP). I went the old fashioned way with a bottle of wine, anxiety pills, and lots of cigarettes. Next time I will try your method(s)

Syrran's Avatar Pocket Puerto Rican
    I'm a gypsy, I'm not really from anywhere.

xanax and seroquil do absolutely nothing for me so more power to you. :P

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

a few of the things that help me when i get them or feel anxious:
    have "comfort foods" handy - snacks like chips, nuts(in the shell require more energy to open), ginger candies, or sushi ginger slices.

take a quick hop into the shower, or draw a bath. stopping to remove clothing is not necessary.

use a water faucet to run hot and/or cold water over your hands. alternating between the two tempatures is also nice. so is dampening your face and head.

learn to meditate. in lieu of doing that, try to find a way to "ground yourself." for me, i just end up attuning my self to the (usually 5)elements. as part of this, i try to do something that engages each of my 5 senses. something stimulating, but not overly so.

often when i feel anxious or panicky, im internalizing some sort of conflict or worrying about something. finding a way to give voice to that, and make it external, helps alot. like talking to someone about what is going on inside you. if you have no one handy, you can just talk to yourself. pets are also great listeners, as well as being great to pet.

im a creative person. for me writing, even just "free writing" or stream of consciousness works wonders. painting or drawing are also great. just create 'something' quality doesnt matter.

often times what would trigger my attacks would be something nedlessly setting off my "fight or flight" survival mechanism. id feel like i had alot of excess energy and couldnt sit still - even going so far as getting an adrenalin rush from it. working off this excess energy is what usually works for me. find something to do, that both takes your mind of whatever it is and distracts you from it, as well as relaxes you in the process.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

maybe these attacks have something to do with that church, all that praying and stuff going on there. In the past when I had church troubles I'd just take some holy water hostage.

well.........it worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    a few of the things that help me when i get them or feel anxious:
    have "comfort foods" handy - snacks like chips, nuts(in the shell require more energy to open), ginger candies, or sushi ginger slices.

take a quick hop into the shower, or draw a bath. stopping to remove clothing is not necessary.

use a water faucet to run hot and/or cold water over your hands. alternating between the two tempatures is also nice. so is dampening your face and head.

learn to meditate. in lieu of doing that, try to find a way to "ground yourself." for me, i just end up attuning my self to the (usually 5)elements. as part of this, i try to do something that engages each of my 5 senses. something stimulating, but not overly so.

often when i feel anxious or panicky, im internalizing some sort of conflict or worrying about something. finding a way to give voice to that, and make it external, helps alot. like talking to someone about what is going on inside you. if you have no one handy, you can just talk to yourself. pets are also great listeners, as well as being great to pet.

im a creative person. for me writing, even just "free writing" or stream of consciousness works wonders. painting or drawing are also great. just create 'something' quality doesnt matter.

often times what would trigger my attacks would be something nedlessly setting off my "fight or flight" survival mechanism. id feel like i had alot of excess energy and couldnt sit still - even going so far as getting an adrenalin rush from it. working off this excess energy is what usually works for me. find something to do, that both takes your mind of whatever it is and distracts you from it, as well as relaxes you in the process.
    I'm a writer too. I have books upon books of my ramblings. It definitely helps. Occasionally I will go back and read them and WOW.....are other peoples lives as fucked up as mine has been?

Quote Originally Posted by Syrran
    xanax and seroquil do absolutely nothing for me so more power to you. :P
    Did you notice very vivid dreams with the seroquil? I have a neighbor that is on over 900mgs of it a day. PLUS paxil, and valium.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

"the war against drugs"

more like use our products not theirs at that level of medication

they're only at war against the drugs the gov't doesn't make money from.

Back when I had attacks the best method for me was telling myself "I don't need to have this. There is nothing actually wrong." etc.

+ Reply to Thread