+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bands and Touring

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Default Bands and Touring

While a lot of great bands are touring this year, it seems to be increasingly difficulty for bands with a niche audience or more moderate draw. I think it may have to do with the catch-22 of being on a label with distro and agents or going it alone. Gas is obviously an additional concern.

Any thoughts on this? Ideas to make it more feasible?

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Bands and Touring

If all contribute and you stick to a budget you should be fine, espically if you have some monies saved up before you leave.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    While a lot of great bands are touring this year, it seems to be increasingly difficulty for bands with a niche audience or more moderate draw. I think it may have to do with the catch-22 of being on a label with distro and agents or going it alone. Gas is obviously an additional concern.

Any thoughts on this? Ideas to make it more feasible?

I think you hit the nail on the head with the gas thing. Ticket prices have gone way up and a lot of people are strapped for cash and not likely to risk it on a band they only might like. Just covering basic tour expenses is way harder with the expense of gas right now. And bands can no longer expect to make much back with increased sales of music. So it comes down to merch sales having to cover skyrocketing gasoline and other tour expenses and somehow come out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I think you hit the nail on the head with the gas thing. Ticket prices have gone way up and a lot of people are strapped for cash and not likely to risk it on a band they only might like. Just covering basic tour expenses is way harder with the expense of gas right now. And bands can no longer expect to make much back with increased sales of music. So it comes down to merch sales having to cover skyrocketing gasoline and other tour expenses and somehow come out ahead.
    It's pretty wild out here. I'm working on a fly-in show with a local venue here. By splitting airfare between several cities, you end up saving cash. (Can't say who until it's confirmed.) Definitely falls into the category of being in a catch-22 between a label and self-release. We'd be doing a guaranteed minimum. Merch sales won't cut it. I did offer free people to work that though. It's love of music on these gigs. I'm amazed we're even are on the verge of getting this gig. It's fucking rough. I do everything free too. Tight. Very tight.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk
    If all contribute and you stick to a budget you should be fine, espically if you have some monies saved up before you leave.
    I'm not in a touring band. Trying my hand at setting up shows here (fuck the pretense of promoter though. I will end be ponying up if I keep getting gigs.) You pretty much have to expect to just break even and cut a lot of corners. The venues do ok due to liquor sales.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread