+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rocky Horror Remake! OMG Stop It Now!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default Rocky Horror Remake! OMG Stop It Now!

Rocky Horror REMAKE?

God damn it. Nothing is sacred. MTV (which hasn't been relevant in years and has given us such cultural milestones as The Hill's) has announced it will be remaking The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Was anyone asking for this?! I mean the original is no cinematic masterpiece but it has retained a sort of dirty do-it-yourself charm. There are no great special effects, there are cheesy sets and a cheesier script. But that's its charm.

That's why people of all ages keep turning out in theatres in the place I now call home and just about everywhere else in the world. This isn't a re-invention for the masses of teens unfamiliar with the original. Whenever I go to see Rocky in a theater or on stage most of the audience is teens. So why!? Money would be the obvious answer. No surprise there. MTV has always been about exploiting the youth market and now it's about packaged nostalgia. A low even VH1 wouldn't have stooped to. Disgusting.
    Photo Contest

And worse yet. They say in this new imagining there will be new songs. Jesus Fucking Christ!!! This abortion will be worse than the usual shit they pour down on our throats. Prepare for the 'High School Musical' version of Rocky ... or worse yet, the 'Hairspray The Musical' version of Rocky. You know the toothless version of John Waters' most family friendly fair? They took all the bite out of that one. And padding out this Rocky, and no doubt updating it with references to ******* and Youtube and Leave Brittney Alone and Emo and whatever else is current, they'll drive a cult classic which achieved that by not being a very good film but having a lot of heart into the shitter.

Rocky Horror Show creator Richard O`Brien is horrified by plans to remake his classic movie musical.

Sky Movies announced this week that they will remake the Rock Horror Show and said that O`Brien was going to be a co-producer.

O`Brien says that not only is that rubbish, he is not giving his support to the production.

"I have no view on whether it should be remade but it doesn`t have my blessing," he told the BBC.

The original movie starred Tim Curry and introduced Susan Sarandon. It is now considered one of the all-time great movies and stage-shows.

O`Brien first learned of the new production and his involvement in the movie when a friend sent him a press clipping.

`I`m not co-producing it and I won`t be involved in any way,” he told the BBC.

He however agrees with and supports the current production of the Australian musical that is coming to Melbourne soon.

The new Australian production of the Rocky Horror show will open in Melbourne at the Comedy Theatre on September 18.

~~~~

Sign the petition! Stop the Blasphemy! Keep MtV from making more money on pre-packaged nostalgia!

~K

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Re: OMG Stop It Now!

WHAT?!?!?!? That's bullshit. Why does everything have to be re-made? The movie is so great because the characters are who they are! They can't change that, and they definitely can't add new songs! WTF?

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

that's obscene

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

maybe shia leboeueff can play frankenfurter... tom cruise as riff-raff?

lets see... paris hilton, LiLo, oooo who can be brad? why would anyone want to remake this movie? it stands on it's own!

oh never mind, i'm reminded how my brother in law is working on 90210 the remake and wants to kill himself...

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

yea, as if the first 90210 wasn't torture enough

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    yea, as if the first 90210 wasn't torture enough
    um.... well i won't admit it, but see my posts about celine dion... i can't remember if i had a 90210 thing... maybe it was the OC... the last 20 years are all kind of a blur now...

actually i really didn't watch much tv living in europe for so long... friends and seinfeld are not re-runs for me

Bedlamite

Marilyn Manson has announced he's been asked to play the role of Frank'enFurter.

><

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Wow. I didn't even believe this on sillyspace. Seems an odd one to redo. The "imperfections" of Rocky make it all the more fun.

Why should they 'stop it'?

A remake won't affect the original; it's a new, seperate attempt at entertainment. If it fails to entertain you, you've lost nothing. Certainly it's not very creative, but that's hardly a reason to petition them to cease entirely; just deny them your attention if you think they don't measure up.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I can't stand remakes of classics. Only about 5% of the time do they measure up to or are better than the original. If a movie is a classic, why screw with it by making a re-imagined(which almost ALWAYS sucks) or a remake. There's just no reason except for hollywood trying to cash in. I say, the only movies that should be remade are movies that came close to being good and had alot of promise, but the execution of the film just sucked.

Do you REALLY think a new Rocky Horror will be good? Let's face it, a big part of it becoming so much of a cult hit was due to actually going to see the movie in the theater and actually participating in it. What? Let's make a new version and change it up a bit. Now instead of throwing toast, the audience will throw rice cakes? Come on.

I think maybe they should just re-do the soundtrack with artists LIKE Manson. I think that would probably turn out pretty cool. But a whole new movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    Marilyn Manson has announced he's been asked to play the role of Frank'enFurter.

><
    almost a cliche' of course he did....

How can the originality top the first one?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I've actually been saving that movie for last

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

BBC reported it wrong at first (RE: O'Brien producing), going on what Sky said instead of doing fact-checking themselves. Go BBC... *sigh*

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7558091.stm

of course they corrected themselves, but the muppets haven't even put a link in that to the new article, so they are still giving the same old misinformation to whoever's only seen that first page. The new one isn't linked anywhere from the website, I had to google "not co-producing it and I won't" from keiko's quote to find it. Before I read this, I and a lot of people probably thought he was, since that was linked from the main news page!

chaosfeary's Avatar Senior Member

can't edit my old post, but just adding I've sent an official complaint so hopefully they'll fix the bullshit.

Default Rocky Horror Remake!

And MTV is behind it.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

I am stunned and horrified. MTV will probably make Eddie a rapper.

More links at Stop the Remake

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I'm going to combine the threads about the cynical Rocky remake debacle.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Rocky Horror Remake! OMG Stop It Now!

*cough* You know I'm the resident whacko, right?

Well, who better then to say...

LETS DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN!

Though not for this movie. The original was good enough, and any remake will just taint that for future watchers.

Azreal Lucifuge's Avatar Member

*sigh*

This makes me sad. But really comes as no surprise at all. Nothing in society is sacred anymore.

I was planning on having a Rocky Horror party at my house pretty soon...

Now I'ma have to have several before the new one comes out just to get people that haven't seen the original to see it before this new trash comes out.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

shitty... i wont watch it or have anything to do with it

this probably targets Hot Topic retards who don't know what cool is if it smacked them in the head

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Oh, you mean like this?

*gets smacked in the head by the original Rocky Horror Picture Show, and a BlueBlood photo set*

"Wtf are these?"

>_>

Yea, stop the remake.

The thing that upsets me most about this is that they didn't even consult O'Brien, the dude who poured his soul into writing the original. Add to that their patently false claim that he was a part of it, and it's incredibly offensive, all questions of whether or not a remake is a good thing in and of itself aside.

On the subject of O'Brien, what a weird dude!

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

now thats a class look

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    now thats a class look
    I covet the tophat.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

What you said about it´s errors it´s true and makes me think that it would be the same bad idea as if they wanted to remake Bad Taste. You just don´t even think about touching those kind of movies.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

I've met him briefly twice at a couple of fetish shows in Hollywood (or maybe just once) and he is still damn sexy, or whatever it is I just find someone damn sexy about him!!! The way he carries himself.. yum!

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

indeed, the top hat is great, only beaten by a friends similar one that had a miniture smoke machine in it

+ Reply to Thread