+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The bible and it's teachings....

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default The bible and it's teachings....

Religion to me is always one of those..."Don't go there" with people. I myself, though not very religious, have the upmost respect for people that truthfully follow it because there is something amazing to me about "blind faith". But, there always is that question to me that lingers....How much of the bible do you see as truth? Yes, I do respect "blind faith", but at the same time, science just takes over in my brain which tends to bring up alot of questions on the subject of religion...

So...watch this and tell me what you think when it comes to the bible. To me, btw....There is no wrong answers when it comes to religion. Faith is one crazy thing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RV46fsmx6E

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: The bible and it's teachings....

i think the bible does have some things that can beneffit people like some of the ten commandments . it is only when people take the things written in it too literaly that i start to have issues with it. people that take it too literaly tend to be the most ignorant close minded people on the planet. But even tho there are some things in the bible that i agree with i wouldnt shove them into someones face and force them to agree with what i think. For the record i consider myself catholic but im probably not the best example of a devout catholic guy since i dont go to church evry sunday and i know some of the teachings of the church are total bullshit.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

The min problem I have with the overly religious is a) when they shove the bible down my throat and b) th fact that the follow only the rules that they want.
    Did you know that the ten commandments where taken from the Egyptian Book Of The Dead, but they where phrased differently e.g. "Thalt shall not kill" was originally "It is wrong to kill"

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

The earth is not flat. Bats are not birds, rabbits do not chew cuds.
    Killing your children for back-sassing them is not morally right, nor is killing your firstborn.

The Bible commands us to love and to fear God, but Jesus says there is no fear where there is love. WTF?

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

Jesus lied. D=

I feel so betrayed...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

ah yes, penn and teller. classic.

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i think the bible does have some things that can beneffit people like some of the ten commandments . it is only when people take the things written in it too literaly that i start to have issues with it. people that take it too literaly tend to be the most ignorant close minded people on the planet. But even tho there are some things in the bible that i agree with i wouldnt shove them into someones face and force them to agree with what i think. For the record i consider myself catholic but im probably not the best example of a devout catholic guy since i dont go to church evry sunday and i know some of the teachings of the church are total bullshit.
    Yeah, I'm what you'd call a "bad" Catholic.....Meaning, for the most part, I don't follow the teachings. I'd rather say I attend "The Church of Ajax Knucklebones and Latter Day Skeptics". It's a kick-ass church, btw.....

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

AK can I join? Will there be kool-aid?

I'm not religious, I've never read the bible.

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    AK can I join? Will there be kool-aid?

I'm not religious, I've never read the bible.
    Kool-aid? We don't pussy around with that shit. If we think it's your time to meet your maker, we got some big thug carrying a ball peen hammer on the pulpit just waiting for me to give the say so. No cyanide-laced deaths in my church. We're the generation that's been desensitized to violence. We need blood and alot of hard "thud" sounds....And a clean up crew for afterwards.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

are goats needed? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    are goats needed? lol

Lambs blood.......You know...For show.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    Lambs blood.......You know...For show.
    yeah, i've heard it's the newest thing in religious fashion..lol

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

the bible has some great stories in it when you read it as literature and not as a religious book. I'm not against the bible at all. my two favorite books were writen by solomon; a very wise man. but yeah, if you read the bible as literature, there are some pretty narly stories about all kinds of fucked up shit. it really just depends on how one chooses to look at it. as far as it being a religious book, I really think it should be taken with a grain of salt, because it has been changed so many times throughout history by so many different people. sure there's some really good advice in there, but alot of it has been changed, or is missing.

and that's my take on the bible...

*steps off soap box*

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Indeed:

Mistranslations (Joseph's coat had long sleeves, it was not "cock crow" but a trumpet sounded to herald the dawn, injunctions against homosexuals are actually against temple prostitutes, etc.

Cultural biases: "Yea, it was wonderful when we smote the Abamakalites to the last man!"

etc.

There's some good in there - love your neighbour's a good one, don't do unto others what you wouldn't want them to do unto you is another.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    the bible has some great stories in it when you read it as literature and not as a religious book. I'm not against the bible at all. my two favorite books were writen by solomon; a very wise man. but yeah, if you read the bible as literature, there are some pretty narly stories about all kinds of fucked up shit. it really just depends on how one chooses to look at it. as far as it being a religious book, I really think it should be taken with a grain of salt, because it has been changed so many times throughout history by so many different people. sure there's some really good advice in there, but alot of it has been changed, or is missing.

and that's my take on the bible...

*steps off soap box*
    ::claps::..

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I was thinking about reading the bible...

but then I got high.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I was thinking about reading the bible...

but then I got high.
    have you been listening to afroman? lol

hmm..i guess you wont be reading it with the pages torn out now, eh? lol

I do not condone faith just for the sake of faith. Faith is the suspension of reason and while life may provide you with some places where faith applies, blind faith is a pretty dangerous thing. I have faith in gravity because I have observed it's effects with my own eyes as well as listening to the logical arguments of others, but the second that apple falls up I will reevaluate my belief. I will question. This is also true of gods. Until the big G starts showing just a little of this boundless love and compassion or even some real justice, he can expect little faith from me. And until he gets someone to write his book so it makes sense, blind faith is right out.

Faith can get you a lot of good things, blind faith just about always seems to turn bad. Give me doubt any day, doubt I can reason with.

***blind faith is a pretty dangerous thing***

So is charisma when placed in the wrong hands. But just like charisma, when placed in the right hands, it can also be a good thing. Every organized religion...Christianity, Buddhism, Muslim, Wiccan, Hinduism....Are ALL based somewhat on blind religion. Does that mean that in the end, it's all somewhat full of some kind of evil intentions? I find that hard to believe.

religion isnt evil..people are.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    religion isnt evil..people are.
    that's the truth.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

it's just a book,........ lot's of books out there, I'd rather read ayn rand but that's just me

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I ont like he whole blind faith and every one else is wrong thing.
    I mean Christianity took alot of stuff from other religions thn started bagging them out, and now we have people who belive that people who folow other relgions are EVIL. I had a 11 year old girl have a go at me on the school bus because I wear a pentagram, she then got her father to wait at my bus stop to have another go at me for trying to corrupt people.
    I personally have never tried to get others to convert to Wicca, but I will stand up for my beliefs with FACTS, not conjecture and a set of rules that I can change as the situation demands.

+ Reply to Thread