+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cradle of Filth

PaulCat's Avatar 3 Of My Nine Lives Left

Default Cradle of Filth

Seeing as this is an international board, i was wondering if the band Cradle of Filth had made it over to the U.S. yet?

And if they have, What do you Americans think of them?

Random musing of an Englishman,

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

Default Re: Cradle of Filth

they are at ozzfest this past one in 2003 maybe earlier 2004 i believe

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Part of the Sony deal was an attempt to break the States, and part of the reason CoF wriggled out of it was they never got the promotional backing from the label they were promised. I think the way Dani put it was that Charlotte Church splits up with her boyfriend, and suddenly no-one in Sony's PR could remember who CoF were. I get the impression they're more of a cult band in America though I'm sure some American metal fans could put me right on that.

nausiatingpain's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCat

Seeing as this is an international board, i was wondering if the band Cradle of Filth had made it over to the U.S. yet?

And if they have, What do you Americans think of them?

Random musing of an Englishman,

I've been aware of COF for at least 5 years, and I'm from the US. If I recall correctly they even toured the states back in 99 or 00, and that wasn't their first time here.

And what do you think of them?

With my group of friends there's some people who think they're fantastic, and some that think they're really funny!

How do you all see them?

ScarMeBeautiful's Avatar Senior Member

I think they're getting quite over-rated with the 13-16 year olds.
    Dani has a good voice and they have talent, no doubt.

And what do you think of them?

With my group of friends there's some people who think they're fantastic, and some that think they're really funny!

How do you all see them?

I've never seen them perform. For some reason their shows were always scheduled when I had something important to do. I don't really listen to them because I have trouble taking a band seriously that sells more t-shirts than albums, but a few yrs ago they acquired a great drummer from The Haunted. I heard a couple of their songs from Midian and some of it sounded very good. I will definitely be checking them out.

I have been a fan of Cradle for some time since the release of "The Principle of Evil Made Flesh". They visited the states I think in 98-99 at the Milawaukee Metal Fest. It wasn't till 2002-2003 that they really started touring the states. So far I have seen them twice and I love the old songs and some new ones from the more recent releases. But ever since Nick Barker left the band I started slowly to loose interest!

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

They are popular in Canada, I can't remeber when I first heard of them but it was quite a while ago....if there are is one thing I despise is the music media....

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

Are you freakin kidding me!? COF is huge here. At least in AZ they are.

Okies, so opinions...

Really cool and Gothic?

Really silly and daft?

Maybe someone could put a poll up for this? as i've no idea how to!

In the UK like ScarMeBeautiful said thery're REALLY popular with the 13-16 year olds, (Mini-Moshers, Hehe!)

Slave326667's Avatar Slave & Master.

Yess, the little childs that don't seem to understand the principle of burning a church, poor misguided children. But yeah, I've listened to them for a year or so, I likes em good, the music videos are a little... erm, how should I put this... overboard? It's like watching a reeeeeeally low-budget horror film. The music itself is good stuffs thoe, there's a really loyal fan population as far as what I've seen.

Hehe!
    You'd love their movie then Slave326667!!!
    They did do a really low budget horror movie called Cradle Of Fear!
    It was hilarious!

Ya know the type of movie that is just so bad, it comes around full circle back into being cool? That's Cradle Of Fear!

Slave326667's Avatar Slave & Master.

HAHAHA! No way! Oh god... Naw, I'd have to be in quite a mood to see that, Like for example... High. But I'll definately look into it, I had no clue they had a movie.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

On of the Blue Blood girls, Morrigan Hel, is married to Adrian Erlandsson, the drummer from Cradle of Filth. A loooooooooooooong time ago, before Adrian was in the band, Forrest and I were supposed to photograph Cradle for the cover of a sadly now defunct magazine called Juggernaut which we had already done a cover shot of Tairrie B for. Plus we were going to run a feature inside the pages of Blue Blood in print, which I edited. Our editor at Juggernaut was going to be our writer for Blue Blood. We were going to shoot the cover he wanted and he was going to right the article we wanted. Kind of a funny story . . .

We show up to the band's hotel room and they have their publicist there. Turns out their publicist was sleeping with our editor and that was part of why he was so fired up to put the band on the cover. Except our editor was a little too stoked about hanging with the Cradle, so he brought a date with him to the interview. Yes, he brought a date to an interview with a band whose publicist he was banging. Doh! But I don't know this at the time. I do know he is interviewing Dani Filth for both Juggernaut and Blue Blood, so I know he is taking way longer than he needs with the interview for what he is writing for Blue Blood, but I don't know how long he needs for Juggernaut. It is going to be a cover story. Dani is super gracious about the whole thing and finally he wraps up the interview.

Then it turns out that the band does not want to get into makeup during the day. Dani looks through our rock portfolio and says that he just went to a show Richard Kern did and our stuff blows his away and we should really be doing gallery shows and coffee table books. Dani grabs one other member of the band and says that they will get into makeup now for us. I am pretty stoked about this because Dani has turned out to be very well-spoken and incredibly gorgeous in person and he said nice things about our work and I am sure we can shoot something really excellent and different with him.

So we plug our lighting pack into the wall in their suite at the Sunset Marquis and the sucky hotel electricity blows out our pack and smoke starts coming out of it. Time is getting short and the publicist is rushing us, partly probably because of her lover bringing a date to see her, and we can shoot the whole band if we do it at the show the night after. We will only have five minutes, but, as the alternative is looking for a good natural light location and time is short, we agree.

We drop our lighting pack off for an expensive repair and reserve rental lighting equipment for the next night.

That night we all go to the Whiskey-a-go-go for a deathrock night. The evening could be better-attended, so the Cradle guys are kind of like we would have expected more from a legendary venue. One of the bands thanks me and Forrest from the stage and Forrest accidentally scouts the headliner's kid, so we are entertained but wishing we could have recommended something better from a tourist perspective.

The next day our DC friends from Apocalypse Theatre (Hope is a Blue Blood girl) call us and say they are in town for the night. So we go hang out with them and never do end up attempting to do a five minute shoot with a band that doesn't want to get dressed for us and a publicist who wants to murder our editor/writer.

I really regret that we never shot Dani Filth though. With enough time to do things right, I think we could have shot some really great stuff of him that was different from what other people have done with him. Plus he was really great; it was just everyone else involved with that debacle that made the whole thing too difficult.

So Forrest and I ended up shooting Gen from the Genitorturers for the cover of the next Juggernaut instead and then the magazine folded before that issue came out anyway.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

So, I guess Gen really knows how to kill a cover, huh?

Nice story!

And yeah Slave, the movie really is that lame it should have been put down!

it has it's good points tho, its got Emily Booth in it!
    and i almost wet myself laughing watching it!

Seriously, it wouldn't scare my Grandma, and she was freaked out by Total Recall...

What are the Genitorturers like? Any good?

What are the Genitorturers like? Any good?
    Dave Vincent joined them after he left Morbid Angel. Stick with Morbid Angel.

Mother Superior

I have that Vhs home video thing they did. It looked amusing at the time. It's called Pandemonium, If I remember correctly. I watched it once, have no idea where the hell it is.

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

cradle is definatley big here at least in the metal scenes, a good number of my goth friends do know of them mostly b/c of the number of people that cross over between the goth and heavy metal scenes. i ahve only scene one video for them but i thought it was mighty kool

Scarlett1313's Avatar Member

yupp...last year on tour with Type O Negative from October till December...was some good times. And they were here for Ozzfest '03 as well. I liked them alot back when "Cruelty and the Beast" came out...then i kinda got sick of them round "Midian", then last year after seeing them live....totally blew me away. They are one of the most intriguing bands to see live...their sound is amazing and their dancers(Satia and ____) are wonderful!

No, it's not a behind the scenes thing, or even a music video!
    They did a movie, like a collection of short horror stories that was just so funny!

Go have a look at the official site for it, cradleoffear,com

(Yes i put a comma, for some reason i'm not allowed to put up website addresses...)

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by skully
    cradle is definatley big here at least in the metal scenes, a good number of my goth friends do know of them mostly b/c of the number of people that cross over between the goth and heavy metal scenes. i ahve only scene one video for them but i thought it was mighty kool
    It's odd that - in my experience there is a fair bit of traffic between goth and metal. Say that in front of some of the goth scene fascists and it's like you just made an improper suggestion to their grandmother. But sheer practicality means there was some crossbreeding - often literally - as some towns only have one bar or club that welcomes the black leather crowd. It also makes thematic sense. Increasingly there are metal bands that are far more gothic than goth's flavour of the month - APB and VNV over here. Also, both movements have been subjected to endless hostility from the mainstream and underground press pretty much from the word go, so a certain kindred seems logical, though all too often you get metalheads and goths joining in the scapegoating and sneering at the other's expense. Shame really.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Well, they took some Noam Chomsky stuff and put it to music, or so I'm told. All the Euros say they are "like not goth." Whatever, I suppose. If I get a chance, I'll give 'em a listen. By the way, did you know I had a dream that a bunch of Cockneys took over the U.S. last night! What does it mean?

Huntsab's Avatar Junior Member

CoF are an excellent Black metal band. Although the Black Metal scene hate them. I must admit their music has gone really soft. If you compare Nymphetamine to Midian. Where's the Blast beats and grind riffs that were really prominent in their earlier material? I still love their music they are doing their own thing which I respect.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsab
    CoF are an excellent Black metal band. Although the Black Metal scene hate them. I must admit their music has gone really soft. If you compare Nymphetamine to Midian. Where's the Blast beats and grind riffs that were really prominent in their earlier material? I still love their music they are doing their own thing which I respect.
    It appears all metal is getting softer. Arch Enemy went from raw, powerful melodeath to softcore metal. They've completly did a 180º on their approach of music. Sorry if that was off topic.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

that's because metal is gay.

oh wait sorry, I was mistaken. guys with long hair and face paint are really cool. look at KISS, 12 year olds love em.

Damniel's Avatar Senior Member

Today they'll be performing at DF, and i'm dying 'cause i can't go, the last time they came it was back in 98, so it's been a quite long wait for nothing, but i got to see the cure though... i had to make a choise, and i wasn't gonna wait for the cure another 15 years, besides, with sony i think they'll tour to mexico more often so perhaps next year i finally get to see them...

Tonight at 8 pm... i'll krank Live bait for the Dead so i can be in some way "connected" to the show...

Ive known about CoF for years. they where on the ozzfest bill but the sound systyem sucked and all you heard was crazy noise
    they have been in america for a few years. I love em.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    It appears all metal is getting softer. Arch Enemy went from raw, powerful melodeath to softcore metal. They've completly did a 180º on their approach of music. Sorry if that was off topic.
    Remeber the same thing that happened to Napalm Death and Carcass. Carcass really upset me cause they were one of the most extreme Grind bands of the late 80's. Then they made a huge change to their music with Heart Work, and from then on they were shite....rot and roll they called it. At least Reek of Putrifaction inspired some of todays most extreme bands, like Cock and Ball Torture, Haemorrage and Libido Airbag.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yep thats what happens when you sign to a bigger label they force you to be marketable to more people by going soft

Quote Originally Posted by Slave326667
    Yess, the little childs that don't seem to understand the principle of burning a church, poor misguided children. But yeah, I've listened to them for a year or so, I likes em good, the music videos are a little... erm, how should I put this... overboard? It's like watching a reeeeeeally low-budget horror film. The music itself is good stuffs thoe, there's a really loyal fan population as far as what I've seen.
    Talking of burning churches...have you heard of Atom and His Package? They do a song called "Me and my Black metal friends"

It starts off with a synth version of the begining of "The Forest Wispers My Name" from CoF "Vempire - Dark faerytales Of Phallustein" (One of their best recordings in my opinion, even though it contains mainly old songs hashed up with better recording technology) Atom And His Package take the full piss out of black metalers and to quote "They Burn down churches and they don't like god, But they better not touch a fucking synagogue!"
    Very amusing.

And another song title from Atom..... is "Living Color is a Black Metal band" Wether or not they are being racist, I dunno??????

If you hate Nazi's check out MDC's "Nazi's shouldn't Drive" it's a song about some ignorant Nazi Scum, called Ian Stewart.
    He was the front man for a very nasty hate mongering Oi! band called Skrewdriver.

Anyway, Ian Stewart crashed his car and died, much to the relief of many anti facists. I know it sounds awful but he wished many people would die, and actively campaigned against non whites. He has a huge following even 10 years after his death! Damn this Scrumpy cider is going to my head I am jibbering on like a manic depressive!!!!!!

yeah, skrewdriver is a pretty funny band.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsab
    Talking of burning churches...have you heard of Atom and His Package? They do a song called "Me and my Black metal friends"

It starts off with a synth version of the begining of "The Forest Wispers My Name" from CoF "Vempire - Dark faerytales Of Phallustein" (One of their best recordings in my opinion, even though it contains mainly old songs hashed up with better recording technology) Atom And His Package take the full piss out of black metalers and to quote "They Burn down churches and they don't like god, But they better not touch a fucking synagogue!"
    Very amusing.

And another song title from Atom..... is "Living Color is a Black Metal band" Wether or not they are being racist, I dunno??????
    Jeez, just what we need, an even dorkier less talented version of Al Yankovic - which I suppose is an achievement of sorts. What's more, a politically correct version. Joy unbounded.

If he was in the synagogue at the time, I'd like to think a couple of pyromaniacal metalheads might make time to lock the doors and torch it.

I fucking despair. While making a hell of a noise about anti-semitism and homophobia, he never sees the irony in describing another demographic as universally retarded. If his head had appeared from his arse at any point in the last decade he might have noticed how unphased the vast majority of metalheads were when Rob Halford came out.

+ Reply to Thread