+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What do you think about rap music?

skully's Avatar Senior Member
    northern jersey(my dad has been a bridge and tunnel rat my whole life and i am following in his footsteps)

Default Re: What do you think about rap music?

i actually really really like alot of the poet rap like jurassic 5 stuff that sounds more like professional music...
    but i also like random fun stuff ludacris and busta rhymes and eminem even if you don't like what they are saying its hard to deny the shear creativity of there rhymes like eminem's earlier battles really did shock me... no matter how much some people dislike him he really does have talent.

most mainstream rap i consider fun and listen to it only when i am in a mood for it

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

I'm big on lyrics - I can't listen to something and ignore the vocal content, and on that basis rap belongs several feet round the U-bend.

I've always seen rap/hip hop/whatever as one of those styles of music where any artistic content is well down the list below the 'attitude'. It's an excuse to strut about boasting like kindergarten bully, surrounded by 'hos' wiggling their butts like they've got a serious case of worms.

I think it's very disingenuous stuff. It makes fantasy lands from horrific ghettos, which if they were honest, are hellholes, not least because of the 'gangstas' who represent the genre's heroes. I'm usually a stranger to the moral highground, but in this case I can't avoid it.

Many of the fans are comparatively affluent and white. Its black origins make it bulletproof as far as most critics are concerned. People quick to jump all over metal as misogynist, homophobic or whatever, happily listen to rap even though it's miles more racist, homophobic, misogynist etc etc. I think that's racist in itself. Assuming a particular race isn't capable of behaving in an adult fashion is more prejudiced and damaging than any number of uses of the 'n' word. Affluent white liberals get a hard-on listening to tales of gun-play and gang-**** because it's 'allowed' because it's black, while the black ghettos tear themselves apart living out these self-destructive ugly fantasies.

So, no, I don't want that new 50 cent album for Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    Would you rather:
    Listen to Rap or Country?
    The third option: neither.

Imagine if they combined those*Shudders* They probably already have.

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I'm a huge music fanatic I love it all I listen to a little bit of everything. I haven't always liked rap and hiphop but I do love it when I find someone with good beats and good lyrics. I'm all about the smart guys. And I like a lot of old school rap although I can only listen to so much 'hoe..blablabla....blabla...ho..bitch..hoe.' These days I'm very into 50 Cent, old Dr. Dre (w000t The Chronic) Snoop 2pac, lately I've been getting more into Blackeyed Peas and for the record Sir Mix a Lot puts on a kick ass show. He is the coolest.

Matt Death's Avatar Junior Member

I actually like a lot of the older rap. Not so much with all this pop/rap sh*t that they play now a days. But I'm like that with most the stuff I listen to, well except the noise and expirmental stuff.

Oh yeah, "I'm Destructive" Is by Dr. Octagon. It's on the Dr. Octagonecologyst album.
    Last edited by Matt Death; 08-30-2004 at 12:14 PM. Reason: d'oh, click to soon.

do you know the meaning to r.a.p.?? retards attemptig poetry thats all i have to say about that

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula
    I'm big on lyrics - I can't listen to something and ignore the vocal content, and on that basis rap belongs several feet round the U-bend.
    Dunno about that...a variety of artists in the genre run circles around most other genre's in terms of vocal content and ideas expressed. It ranges from pop heavy dance tunes to genuine and deep social commentary that Punk/Metal/"Insert Genre Dominated by White People Here" would otherwise ignore. lets not forget that the lyrics speak to those who appreciate and take the honest time to explore them...along with those who simply understand where it's coming from and why.

I've always seen rap/hip hop/whatever as one of those styles of music where any artistic content is well down the list below the 'attitude'. It's an excuse to strut about boasting like kindergarten bully, surrounded by 'hos' wiggling their butts like they've got a serious case of worms.
    Attitude has and always will be the dominant part of music though. You can't have music that does not express some sort of attitude. Hip Hop has it's artistic content as much as any genre with artists who in the relative short life of the genre have turned the tables of the music scene and pop culture. Also the whole boasts and women thing...look at metal vidoes of the 80's...I mean come on the same attacks directed at Hip Hop these days are the same ones used against others genres at one point.

I think it's very disingenuous stuff. It makes fantasy lands from horrific ghettos, which if they were honest, are hellholes, not least because of the 'gangstas' who represent the genre's heroes. I'm usually a stranger to the moral highground, but in this case I can't avoid it.
    No one who listens to hip hop with a serious ear or sense would say the Ghetto's they describe are paradise. Hell even Elvis did a song about them (covered so brilliantly by Cartman). Hip Hop is the ONLY genre that descibes them to ANY detail and brought to light the reality of them time and time again along with the realities of drug use (the classic "white lines" for instance) that was all but ignored in other genre's. Gangsters as a whole are a part of U.S. in terms of pop culture and idols...that's been the case since forever in neighborhoods and communities where Gangsters thrive...don't forget social context here..."White America" was not exactly opening it's arms to minorities and it's only recently so many of those minorities have really pushed forward in American pop culture. The gangster is an heroic image to many and one that IS portrayed honestly...what people foget is that no matter how bad you make it look or as real as it gets...it's an attractive and at times nesessary lifestyle for some. Does it lead to ruin? Yeah...but when you have no real prospect or future...it's the only way "up the ladder" for some. Gangs and organized crime as a whole are a dominant force in many of the communities that spawn Hip Hip artists...and it's unrealistic to think that is not going to effect the genre in deep rooted ways. Plus look at Metal and Punk alone...they have just as many problems with image and intent..along with their own lifestyle ideals. Growing up the Hip Hop scene was the most accepting with Metal right behind it...truth is until grunge scene hit in the 90's music scenes were not exactly the most integrated lot..at least not like they are now. Hip Hop really broke the mold with mixing influences from ALL styles of music and playing to very diverse crowds...and to a large extent it still does in an almost unrivaled manner. It took a lot more chances in the 90's than any other genre and set the stage for the modern music scene.

Many of the fans are comparatively affluent and white.
    Uh while their are many fans of the genre in those social circles they are still the minority as a whole and oddly have the hardest times finding acceptence when they want to enter the genre as an artist but if they prove themselves...they are quickly embraced. Look at the Beastie Boys as a prime example...and now Eminem. But rich white kids and young adults are not the dominant force...though it is no diffrent than when white america embraced Jazz music.

Its black origins make it bulletproof as far as most critics are concerned.
    Maybe in your neck of the woods...but hip hop is continuously hammered by critics from just about every musical to social profession. Not a year has gone by that it is not attacked for content, imagery, influence, and popularity. But I do love how people are STILL calling it a "fad".

People quick to jump all over metal as misogynist, homophobic or whatever, happily listen to rap even though it's miles more racist, homophobic, misogynist etc etc.
    Miles ahead? I think all genre's are equal in that respect except for the racist line. Hip hop is FAR less racist a genre than any other. It's much more inclusive as a community but one factor that CANNOT be ignored is it's ethnic origins. Black communities, Hispanic communities, Asian communites all factor into it and social norms of THOSE communities can't be ignored. Interacial relationships for one are a BIG taboo in some circles...I'm in one myself and I'll admit it does not go over well at times...but that's on both sides. At the same time though I've had less hassle amoung the Hip Hop scene than any other growing up...the racist kids I had to deal with where the white kids into punk and metal...as silly and cliche as that sounds it's sadly true...but I didn't condemn the music they listened to as a result...they were simply fucking idiots who happened to listen to the same style of music as I did. Lets be brutally honest here...music is one of the few things to go beyond race and background in terms of appreciation...you don't have to be of a certain ethnicity to like a certain style of music. Every genre and scene it spawns has it's collective assholes ....hip hop is no worse or better in that resepct but like I said before it has done more than any other genre in terms of opening it's arms to a wide range of artist with a wide range of backgrounds...from Asian DJ's, Mexican MC's, etc.

Assuming a particular race isn't capable of behaving in an adult fashion is more prejudiced and damaging than any number of uses of the 'n' word. Affluent white liberals get a hard-on listening to tales of gun-play and gang-**** because it's 'allowed' because it's black, while the black ghettos tear themselves apart living out these self-destructive ugly fantasies.
    I think you have a very misguided view of the genre here. That kinda statement is like those arguments that devil worship is what happened if you listened to metal in the 80's metal days, or the threat of you were more prone to suicide in the grunge years, and the line of bad fashion taste caused by listening to disco (OK THAT was true). What you see in and hear in certain Hip Hop videos and albums do occur...that's the reality of life. But Hip Hop focuses it's light on other parts of it as well...contrary to mainstream media and even Hip Hop focused media outlets...not EVERYONE is out to live the Scarface Dream. It's jsut the image that sells the best and is the easiest to identify for those who feel the need for what it entails. Plus one can't deny that some are the real deal and some are simply "Studio Gangsta's". It's not a simple or all inclusive issue. It's ONE part of the genre that these days is a genre unto itself. Plus ghettos and rough neighborhoods that spawned this stuff were doing the deads you see in the darker Hip Hop stuff LONG before those lyrics were put to beats...ghettos didn't turn to ghettos because of rap and hip hop.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Thanks for a thoughtful and detailed response to my argument Tequila Zaire - this can be incendiary stuff (I dared to suggest that a lot of punk was hypocritical junk and I could hear a couple of gaskets blowing all the way from this side of the Atlantic). I'm not sure I agree with all of it - hey where would the fun be in that? - but I'd like to take some time to digest your points fully before I come back to the thread. Meanwhile, it's my turn to go get the Chinese takeaway and if I don't hurry up I think my girlfriend'll pop a cap in my ass...

Minx Hates You's Avatar Junior Member

RAP¨sucks KEEP IT METAL..!!! its all about metal..!!! * well not really i like different kind of music*..!! but i have no respect for rap..!! i dont mind people who likes rap..!! cuz all my friends do!! but..!!! but i rather listen to my metal..!

I like some rap like Fat Joe who is my fav.! Just cuz he is big, tall, and Puerto Rican!!!

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I had a "rap is crap" attitude in the 80s and 90s. But, I have to say as little as I listen to, there are some underground artists that take it to new limits as far as music goes. When I listen to Dead Prez, I get shivers. There is no more socially relevant sort of pop music group I can think of. I mean I grew up on all kinds of rock, but those guys go beyond the "kickin' it" and "keepin' it real" thing to this new version of "we shall overcome," we as a people, all of us, pulling ourselves out of our own self inflicted ignorance.

graecona's Avatar Member

...the music is okay but the videos are damn not!!! the same shit: Big-breasted black women, parties and discos, hot wheels...it's as if these are the only things those artists knew... c'mon try to experiment... (I'm not a racist ok...i just hate stereotypes...)

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Blame MTV...they seem to drop the more interesting and non traditional Hip Hop videos out of rotation fast since they know the T&A videos earn bigger ratings and thus more ad revenue.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Blame MTV...they seem to drop the more interesting and non traditional Hip Hop videos out of rotation fast since they know the T&A videos earn bigger ratings and thus more ad revenue.
    If it makes money and gets them more air, they love it. They do whatever they can since the Internet, in my opinion. I honestly have no reason to even watch television anymore (unless it's biography or specific to my interest and something I've either stumbled on or read about as scheduled).

SUSIEQ502's Avatar Senior Member

I AM ONE OF THE SAD PATHETIC PEOPLE!!! I know this...if they put out an okay song with a video that is catchy and has real good dancing, I will eventually like the song. Thankfully I don't watch MTV when my kids are around, ( I really don't want them thinking that people act like that ) so this illness has been fairly small scale within me.

+ Reply to Thread