+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about rap music?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What do you think about rap music?

Forrest Black is responsible for getting me into some rap. I mostly only like what would be considered I suppose gangsta rap. I like old Ice T and EPMD and new Eminem and 50 Cent. This is theoretically incompatible with liking spooky ooky music, but Sisters of Mercy did go on the road with Public Enemy on the Fear of a Black Planet tour. Although I love Sisters (yes, even the sellout metal album Vision Thing) and I don't much care for Public Enemy, them touring together does suggest that maybe the two genres are not totally incompatible. What do you think about rap music?

Slave326667's Avatar Slave & Master.

Default Re: What do you think about rap music?

Ooooh, yes indeed. A lot of it I really hate, due to it's constant refference to "bangin' hoes, smokin blunts, and gettin' bitches." But there is some that I really really like, althoe, I forget the names, I like outkast, with exception to a few songs, Jedi mind tricks. There was one song I remember, called "I'm destructive"... gah who was that by?

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

there is some rap music i like like outkast and alot of old stuff like nwa, public enemy, tupac, and grand master flash the only thing i realy hate about rap music is when they start singing about the clothes they wear, theirs cars, jewelry ,and their houses. I grew up moderatly poor and i always found it insulting when people stared braging about the things they had especialy when they were talking about things i knew i would never have. so thats my only real gripe with rap music of today because thats all they sing about.

I hate rap beyond comprehension.
    That is stating that Mildly.

devilmutt's Avatar Senior Member

i some times listen to some rap. mostly the angrier sounding stuff

SUSIEQ502's Avatar Senior Member

I do so love my Gangsta rap. Of course I am partial to the older stuff, I like alot of the new stuff too. If you listen to the lyrics, they are funny as all hell! Then, when you realize that they aren't trying to be funny, it makes it that much more funny. I do the same with country music though. Where I live is mostly a farming community, so there are lots of hicks, (rednecks) and a whole lot of "Pochos" which are Mexicans first generation born in the USA which are into the gangs and stuff, some which are good friends of mine.

Some Gangster Rap is about as spooky ooky as you can get. The Doesia Clic's first CD talks about demons and killing people in their dungeons, and has a basic attitude that is spooky. They are from Stockton, where alot of decent rap originates.

I really can't relate to all the bitches, bank roll and B.S. that they rap about, but I enjoy the laughs it gives me!

Disco Slayer with Eazy-E

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

I'm with those who think 'rap's spelt with a silent 'c'.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

Oh and the Sisters would tour with David Hasselhoff if Andrew Oldbitch thought it would help him squeeze a few more pennies out of his long suffering fans. (Though 'Vision Thing's my favourite Sisters album so maybe I should just get my coat and leave...)

I like rap...Most of them I dont even care for the words I just like the beats they compose...The kinda stuff that makes you just wanna nod your head....I have a lot of Instrumentals, they are good to listen to when studying and such...You can listen to good music without someone speaking to distract you...

But I like everything...My music collection goes from Heavy Metal to Techno...From Classical To Country...I like it all...

SomethingSelfrighteous's Avatar Dancing Jesus Figurine

I like rap thats different from most of the mainstream, like Little T & One Track Mike, and The Streets

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

okay, rap is alot like punk..seriously, there's punk that is about thinking and humanity then there is punk that is just utter crap self centered and just dumb...lyrically and musically. as for rap you got yer gangster rap..and then you have your thinking mans rap. I love lyrics and I alwasy read the lyrics when i listen to the tunes when I buy an albumn. I personally dislike mainstream rap for the fact it is leading black yout towards things and ideals that at times are out of thier reach...but are attainable through hard work and percerverence not baggin hoes and poppin caps...youth has potential no matter what colour religion or sex it is, until it is teased and slapped in the face of it's esteem and self securities. Music can build or it can destroy. As for rap I like thinking mans rap, Spearhead and especially Buck 65. Buck65 is white and from Canada, I believe he's form out onn the east coast whihc contains Canada's poorest provinces PEI, Newfounland&Labrador, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. If you want to hear some amazing wordsmith and poetry I recomend Buck 65. as for the gangster rap... in some of those videos..white people can't even afford that stuff

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I tend to be closed when it comes to rap. Some rap is alright, I like Ludacris a lot, he's probably my favourite rapper. *cringes* But most other rap I find extremely offensive, and some of it goes against my morals in their videos. I'm going to laugh when rap dies... I think its just one fucking big trend right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    I tend to be closed when it comes to rap. Some rap is alright, I like Ludacris a lot, he's probably my favourite rapper. *cringes* But most other rap I find extremely offensive, and some of it goes against my morals in their videos. I'm going to laugh when rap dies... I think its just one fucking big trend right now.
    When rap dies, the world should do a jig of joyous glee.

ScarMeBeautiful's Avatar Senior Member

I think rap is the worst kind of music. Crappy words and it's starting to sound all the same.

Though, I DO like that one song by Outkast.. I forgot what it's called. It's their second to lastest one.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I have no issues with it...but it's hard to find the good stuff in a sea filled with total garbage. It's like any other style of music...the good stuff is usually done by true originals and many who copy them simply focus on a small percentage of what made them so great. Plus some of it is really focused ONLY on pushing one image and album for maximum profit. Rap artists careers are not exactly long for many...and at the moment it's far too dominated by the path NWA really brought to the light oh so long ago now...a real shame cause the more original rap artists out now get filtered away and nearly forced into doing THAT style of work...but with Hip Hop as a whole still putting out fresh work on a consistent basis one can't get tood own on it...you just gotta search for it. Though it is annoying when people think Rap artists ARE Hip Hop...many forget the DJ's working today as a result of it...and to me it's THOSE guys that keep hip hop alive...not some thug who wants to have his scarface fantasy come to life.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

I think its just one fucking big trend right now.
    Yeah...they said that in 85...95..and now. It's not going anywhere..it's too much of a dominant force in music as a whole.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by ScarMeBeautiful
    I think rap is the worst kind of music. Crappy words and it's starting to sound all the same.
    See I hear this alot from people who dislike a certain style of music...this argument could easily be used to describe punk, metal,etc.

Punk has jsut as many bands that sound the same and focus on the same topics for lyrics...I mean how many songs can you write about being an "outsider of mainstream society"...

Many it seems cause Rap has just as many...Rap and Punks diffrences are minimal when you break down to what both styles have at their core...hell country has more songs about being drunk, killing people, and being in jail than both combined...and it's older.

PaulCat's Avatar 3 Of My Nine Lives Left

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula
    I'm with those who think 'rap's spelt with a silent 'c'.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree with this more!

A mate of mine got me to listen to a 2pac song once, after finding out that Anthrax did some stuff with Public Enemy...

I counted the word "N*%%A" 64 times in three mins,
    Ever done that? listened to someone giving a speech and just counted the "Erms"? it's hard to keep a straight face.

ice t & slayer - just another victim (chaos)
    beasty boys - soulwax with herbie hancock vs INSX and ACDC.....
    Mos Def & Massive Attack - I Against I (from Blade)

check them!

this is more beats and party/influences music than HIP HOP

honestly... fuck that HIP HOP and playa's and byatch's... talking 'bout money, cars, succes.... lying 2 ppl.......

I like old school... some underground stuff (the honestly one ) and some trip hop (portishead, tricky, massive attack...)

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Mos Def & Massive Attack - I Against I (from Blade)
    That's an excellent track...one of those rare times where everything goes right and everything in the song works in an amazing balance of depth, power, and raw emotion. It was used HORRIBLY in Blade 2 though...cheesy lil "look at the badasses walk in slow-mo" crap.

This song would have been great as the background music to the massacre in the club that followed.

Worth the download.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by OliX

this is more beats and party/influences music than HIP HOP
    No offense but all those songs ARE Hip Hop...that's realy the global genre all this stuff falls under. Too many forget that though and think it's a certain genre unto itself..Hip Hop gave birth to a ton of styles though and I'd argue it's unequaled in terms of what it spawned...like Jazz it went in it's own direction and in turn exploded into endless variations.

As far as the "Scarface Mentality" in Hip hop...that's it's own genre IN the artform...almost commical now with it's own cliche's and sillyness.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

i actually like rap. i dont like a lot of the new stuff on the radio, but i am a big fan of old: dr. dre, bone thugs, 2pac, snoop dog, warren g...

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

When I listen to rap I get angry and when I get angry it is very bad, and in the interest of realism i watched some rap videos on BET and was inclined to notice that anyone who would actually drive a brand new Benz into the middle of the ghetto would most likely be dead in roughly 2-5 minutes. although Indo think some underground rap is ok and highly underated

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

When The Macho Man Randy Savage brands himself as a rapper and releases his own rap cd. I have to question said industry

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    When I listen to rap I get angry and when I get angry it is very bad, and in the interest of realism i watched some rap videos on BET and was inclined to notice that anyone who would actually drive a brand new Benz into the middle of the ghetto would most likely be dead in roughly 2-5 minutes. although Indo think some underground rap is ok and highly underated
    With the right attitude in a nice ride, in a bad neighborhood, people (not counting hookers) will actually assume you wouldn't be copping that attitude with that ride in that area, unless you were armed and dangerous or at least someone where there would be grisly retribution if something were to happen to you. Of course, it probably helps the attitude if those things are true.

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

yeah but where im from they wouldnt give a rats ass

Hula Hoop Supervisor

To be honest BET is a giant mix of the worst and best of rap music...I wouldn't use them as a resource for anything more than entertainment...their is nothing accurate or real on that network.

As far as nice cars in bad neighborhoods...it happens and really a person driving such a car in such a neighborhood would typically be someone people already KNOW in that neighborhood...and in such situations even the most crazy of fucks would think twice...and if they didn't...they'd be dealt with.

Attitude and audacity only go so far in those situations...plus the reality of it all is far diffrent anyhow.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

yeah but where im from they wouldnt give a rats ass
    Everyone says that about where they are from...even suburban white kids who listen to Tupac albums.

Hell THOSE kids were N.W.A's biggest fans at many shows oddly enough.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter
    When The Macho Man Randy Savage brands himself as a rapper and releases his own rap cd. I have to question said industry
    Well Avril and Ashlee Simpson are being sold as Punk...

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    And they BOTH should be shot.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

And they BOTH should be shot.
    Good luck getting past the Elite Hot Topic Stormtroopers that protect them...plus you'll have to deal with the ultra secret and highly dangerous...Teen Girl Assassin Squad of Doom!

They are well protected and funded by international sweat shop syndicates and in the case of Ashlee...that creepy as hell Father of hers.

You can almost SEE the incestual thoughts coming out of his head...or maybe that's just the subliminal messages imbeded in their shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    I think Avril would totally have fooled me when I was fourteen. Believing this, her music gives me a stomach ache. I think her songwriters are really good, but putting their words in that girl's mouth just makes me kinda queasy. She was out at a club I went to a few weeks ago and I had to restrain myself from asking her how she deals with being forced to wear an entire personality which is not hers. She looked so miserable just standing there, that I figured I already knew the answer and left her alone.

Ashlee Simpson is just no darn good. Don't know if the same team worked on her, but they missed the mark there.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

I love rap. Alot of the new stuff is garbage, i hate 50 cent. My favorites are 2pac ice cube and jay z. I also like eminem, and all the old 80's stuff. Run DMC, sir mix a lot etc... that's my era.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasperino
    I love rap. Alot of the new stuff is garbage, i hate 50 cent. My favorites are 2pac ice cube and jay z. I also like eminem, and all the old 80's stuff. Run DMC, sir mix a lot etc... that's my era.

Oh yeah! Baby's got back! Put 'em on the glass!

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

Damn that video for put em on the glass was awesome!

Would you rather:
    Listen to Rap or Country?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Oh yeah! Baby's got back! Put 'em on the glass!
    Oh man...I remember when that pay per view video TV channel (The Box?) was up. I and many many many others paid to have that video in rotation NON STOP for about 3 days...ah memories...or mammories in this case.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Would you rather:
    Listen to Rap or Country?
    Country...old stuff though...I can't get into the new stuff at all. Why country though?...you listen to those old fella's sing and damned if they don't get in your heads.

Depressing stuff though...much more than Blues music...and that's saying something.

bre.star's Avatar Senior Member

oh yes i forgot to add, besides the "old skool gangsta rap" i like, i am also a big fan of nasty perverted rap songs like "put it in your mouth" by akinele, and "i can tell" by 405 boys feat mercedes.... im a perve

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by bre.star
    oh yes i forgot to add, besides the "old skool gangsta rap" i like, i am also a big fan of nasty perverted rap songs like "put it in your mouth" by akinele, and "i can tell" by 405 boys feat mercedes.... im a perve
    I was always a 2 Live Crew fan...oh the fun their albums where.

+ Reply to Thread