+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DNA Theory

Default DNA Theory

Replying to Thistle Harlequin thread got me thinking of my old theory about DNA mutations.

If you have any knowledge in DNA you might get this. I'll try to explain it as simplest as I can.

If you take two totally identical chromosomes and activate them at the same time activation wave will go trough them and activate randomly certain parts. It was long believed that two identical chromosomes will react same way.
    But this experiment showed that it actually happens by chance. God really plays dice.

Now, from experience we know it's not true because we see all those mutations trough history and adapting to environment in different species.
    So it definitely doesn't happen by chance. Survival of the fittest comes actually after the mutation it self. So what choses that mutation.

Is experiences and knowledge from our life affecting mutation in our DNA?
    We know that chickens of 1 day age, absolutely no experience freak out when object in form of plus "+" is showed above them (resembles hawk), but when the same object is manipulated to resemble cross "†" they chill and chase seeds on the ground. Not to mention small turtles and alligators that run for the water as soon as they break the egg.

So scientifically we came so long to prove by observation that all mutations happen by chance. But from our life time experience, and I mean existence of all life on planet, we see that mutations are definitely guided by our experiences.

Plus there is a part of code in our chromosomes that is totally unique for every person. Is that personal experience and memories coded in the DNA?

I wish I could illustrate this for you. With fancy pictures and explanations. It would be so simple =D Now you got something to chew on.

Default Re: DNA Theory

I wonder if I wish all life to have two dicks would my kid have two dicks.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

People (in general, present company excepted) have a hard time grasping that a truly random mutation can lead to a tailored solution. They assume that if a bird evolves a beak perfect for cracking the local nuts, those nuts must somehow have influenced the DNA change. Nuts are cool, but not that cool.

The truth is there are billions of tiny random variations across every generation, and some are just by pure chance better at something. The bird who survives a particularly bleak winter because he has randomly grown a tougher beak and can eat frozen nuts will be around to breed next season, and big beaks become the fashion. If, that same winter, food was easy to find but there was a freak attack of ferrets, having a heavy-ass beak would probably have killed him because he couldn't take off quick enough.

We only ever see the success stories, so it looks like a design with purpose. We forget behind that cute big-beaked bird are a whole heap of dead ones with vaguely-greener feet, or vaguely-smaller penises.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

***Plus there is a part of code in our chromosomes that is totally unique for every person. Is that personal experience and memories coded in the DNA?***\

I would say yes since that would totally explain instinct.

As far as the rest of what you say, I believe Mindgames. I think it is just random. It all goes under "Survival of the Fittest". A mutation that helps a breed survive better soon becomes a dominant gene. That gene is then passed on to all new breeds and what once was a dominant gene before this mutation came along, since it no longer helps a breed, becomes recessive and sooner or later pretty much an extinct gene. The mutation, itself, just happened by chance, but due to it's surroundings, it was better suited than it's previous ancestors, so it flourished.

In bio, in college, they taught us about a breed of moths that lived in England for centuries that beared a white coloring. After chimneys were invented, the moth breed turned black. The reason being was because this moth species did best when the climate was warm. So the breed would live inside the chimneys. The white breed would be quickly picked off by birds, but the dark colored mutated breed became camoflaged(?) with the black soot in the chimney, hence the birds did not see them. The mutated black breed, once a recessive gene, now carried it's color as the dominant gene because the white moths basically became extinct by being eaten by the birds. It wasn't that the moth wished that they turned black. It's just that the mutation "survived the fittest" in this new era of interaction with a more modern England.

Sometimes certain species, no matter what mutation comes along, can no longer survive in it's current enviroment. Of course when that happens, the entire breed becomes extinct. By your thinking, instead of becoming extinct, why didn't these species just wish real hard for, let's say, for a better defensive appendage for their next of kin. Hell, maybe they did, but of course, if that really worked, no species would ever become extinct.

I'll throw in the C-value paradox, partly because it's relevant but mostly because I like comparing people to chickens.

The number of chromosomes you have, or more precisely the non-coding DNA burden, has no relation whatsoever to how complex a life form you are, but instead it depends on how old you are as a species - as over the millennia you accumulate junk (all those pointless genes which are now recessive, or never even figured in the first place). Humans use about 3% of their DNA to code protein, and don't have a whole lot to start with:-

Ants: 2 chromosomes
    Earthworms: 6
    Cabbages: 18
    Humans: 46
    Tobacco: 48
    Chickens: 78
    Turkeys: 82
    Shrimp: 254
    Adder's-tongue fern: 1260

(so if you're eating a shrimp cocktail while smoking a cigar, you're the insignificant one in the room)

There's plenty of genes that were turned off but still are there in our DNA like night sight, same that cats have, Or red hair that still comes around, Neanderthals were all redheads. That makes them not recessive. What are them?

The hair color allele is coded, so it's a normal dominant/recessive trait. You end up with one from each parent, and the dominant one wins. Hair Celebrity Deathmatch style.

The non-coding burden is the portion of DNA which never codes, at least not now. We evolved from fish, so somewhere in the burden is presumably a set of genes to code scales and gills, but they don't pop up just because your parents were cousins.

No way! I was just talking to friend of mine on msn about my theories and he gave me this link...
    http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3502..._(Xvid_50_mins
    Still D/L it but will watch as soon when it finishes.

It's about Epigenetics and well.. I'll post some more when I see it and so long what I read about it, it covers all the ideas I had

I advice you to see it too if you're interested in genetics.

Don't think Amelia will be too happy with you posting links to illegal torrents. We're very sensitive about our copyright law round here.

I believe it's a free material only distributed trough torrent network because that's how I like them. Medium rare.

If you would prefer to play it safe the go to google vide and watch it online.

Sorry for all inconvenience but www.ThePirateBay.org is 100% legal (at least for me). They don't store any files. It's just a tracker. They raided it in 2006. Droped 4000 legal papers on them. Sued them. But nothing, it still stands strong because people have voted! Pirate Party was created in 2006 and with 0,63% (34 918 voters) became number two party without any seats in riksdagen (parlament).

I am part of the Pirate Party and I'm proud of it! Legaly pirate

+ Reply to Thread