+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what's the dumbest thing you ever tried to get through an airport?

and your little dog too

Default what's the dumbest thing you ever tried to get through an airport?

from newsday

Suspected pipe bomb found at MacArthur Airport
    Would-be passenger detained at security checkpoint, officials say

BY JOHN VALENTI | john.valenti@newsday.com
    12:49 PM EDT, October 16, 2008

A would-be passenger is in police custody Thursday morning after federal security agents at Long Island MacArthur Airport discovered a suspected "improvised explosive device" -- or pipe bomb -- in a carry-on bag, officials said.

Transportation Security Administration agents then "pulled the individual's checked bags" and found "M-80 fireworks and ammunition," TSA spokeswoman Lara Uselding told Newsday.

A device that had "wires and possibly looked like a pipe bomb" was found at 7:28 a.m. in a carry-on bag while being X-rayed by TSA agents, Uselding said. An airport source said a knife also was found.

Law enforcement sources said the specific type of device -- an incendiary that could be a smoke bomb or pipe bomb -- will not be known until it can be defused and examined.

The FBI and agents from the U.S. Department of Justice Joint Terrorism Task Force are on the scene, sources said.

An airport source told Newsday that the FBI has taken over as the lead investigative agency on the case. A federal source also told Newsday that the man, who is from Las Vegas, has no apparent links to known terrorism organizations -- and is believed to have acted alone.

"At this time, I have no reports of known nexus to terrorism," Uselding said.

Police have not confirmed any details regarding the incident -- or an arrest.

The FBI has not commented publicly on the incident.

Part of the Southwest Airlines terminal was evacuated after the discovery, Airport Deputy Commissioner Eric Hofmeister said. Airport commissioner Teresa Rizzuto said the man had tickets for a Southwest Airlines flight to Las Vegas, but officials have not identified the specific flight.

After the discovery, the TSA agents immediately notified airport police, Hofmeister said, and Gates 5-8 at the Southwest Terminal were immediately evacuated.

Officials also notified Suffolk police, who sent an Emergency Services Unit Bomb Squad officers to the scene, Hofmeister said.

Airport officials also restricted access to Gates 1-2 on the west end of the terminal and to the original terminal gates.

Hofmeister said bomb squad personnel "removed the suspicious package" from the airport at 8:38 a.m. and that TSA agents and other airport personnel were allowed back into the building after 8:40 a.m.

Karen Semigran of Holbrook was seeing family off to Mexico at the time of the evacuation. "It was very orderly," Semigran said. "Even though it was a bit chaotic, everyone listened and the police did the right thing."

The terminal was re-opened at 9:30 a.m. and just one flight was delayed, officials said.

The last major incident at MacArthur involved a bomb threat made on July 25, officials said. That threat was found to have no validity, however.

On a weekly basis, TSA agents uncover a variety of potential security breaches, Uselding said.

The official TSA Web site shows that this week alone security agents at checkpoints in U.S. airports have found:

* Suspicious behavior or fraudulent travel documents leading to the arrest of 16 passengers;

* 24 firearms on passengers;

* one "artfully concealed prohibited" item;

* 13 incidents that involved a checkpoint closure, terminal evacuation or sterile area breach.

"We are still seeing people bringing firearms to checkpoints, we are seeing people bringing altered electronic devices to checkpoints," Uselding, the TSA spokeswoman, said. "It's unclear if they are testing the system -- or trying to see what they can get through."

Staff writers Robert E. Kessler, Tom Brune and Stacey Altherr contributed to this story.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default Re: what's the dumbest thing you ever tried to get through an airport?

I got stopped for having a giant rubber snake in my bag once.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

It wasn't intentional but I had a big chunk of hash in my pocket I forgot about. It wasn't a problem though.
    Have you ever gone to Mexico? They have a great system. Red light/green light.

ROGIZOID's Avatar The Grey Child

When i took my first trip to PA, i didnt know i had an eighth of weed on me.
    I was going to bring over all my pipes and hooknanies.
    thank god i didnt get caught, thank god i didnt bring any of my collection.
    effed up.

I once went through with a aluminum self-defense pointy spike thingie key chain, they told me I had to hand it over, I was like "What?" I had honestly forgotten it was on my keys.

Oh yeah, I just remembered...

...another time I went through airport security using the duffel bag I kept my ammo in as a carry on. Obviously I'd taken all the boxes of bullets out, and loaded it up with my dirty socks, but the security guy flagged it anyway for having shown traces of explosives.

Later as I was sitting waiting for my flight (they cleared me after inspecting, and rejecting my dirty socks) some DHS douche with a dog walked past me like 11 times. The dog was all "Yeah, I'm a dog. Howya doin'? My tongue is hangin' out. I'm a dog. Wish you'd give me some bacon, or scratch my belly" and DHS douche kept saying "What is it boy?" "Is there something here?" and walking past me. Finally I looked up at dude after the 11th time or so, and said "Hey buddy, are you looking for a lawsuit?" and he fucked off after that. I was flying out of St.Louis, wearing all black, weighing about 300+ lbs. and rocking a mohawk, and this was just a little after Columbine.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I never travel with anything on me. My knives never go in my carry on. I never pack my pipes, or anything remotely illegal that could be traced to me and yet i get jitters every time i go through that thing.

I get the worst adrenaline rushes when a cop passes up on the road, even though everyone has their seatbelts on, we're under the speed limit, and have nothing in the car that could get us in trouble.

I did sneak medication not prescribed to me overseas via boat. anti-anxiety meds in my make up case.

~K

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

My friend had a nice bag of NY weed nestled in his underwear when he flew in to see me years ago. He never got caught. Hairy balls or not, I smoked that fine shit like it was a $500.00 cigar. God, I used to be such a weed whore.

Mystoo's right, btw....Mexico is the shit when you're flying out of there. They just don't give a shit. They're like, "Adios, come back soon."

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i took some pot with me..it was chill...put it inside of a panty-liner and wore it.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Genius. Dogs are always sniffing crotches

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

ditto, on Mexico. On the way in we had forgot there was a box of ammo in the trunk. the guard was just like "we're going to have to confiscate this...go ahead and go on through." no sweat.

but on the way back it's like drop your drawers son. Do I look like I'm fucking cheech and chong driving a van made out of weed? I guess everyone does. and that was before you needed a passport. I can only imagine what it's like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I once went through with a aluminum self-defense pointy spike thingie key chain, they told me I had to hand it over, I was like "What?" I had honestly forgotten it was on my keys.
    I have two pocket knifes on a key chain.One is Laguiole L'eclair 440 and other is Victorinox with flash light and a usb memory stick. They're both long around 5-6cm. They never stoped me for them.

Other than that I never did anything illegal even when chances of getting sniffed by dog are 1000:1 here (fact). No idea how it works in the states.

Try once a experiment with the cheese. Yes, you read it right!
    A bit old yellow cheese. Make a sandwich with it and put it in the pocket
    Now go to the sniff dogs and watch them go crazy. If they're trained for herion they will react.

Never use pepper to disable dogs sences. If you get caught you're fucked.
    For small quantities use hair gel box for cuting smell from spreading around.
    Now there's a chemical too which I don't know what it is that really helps.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i was once really rushed going through the airport coming back from chicago after Convergence 1. i hadnt had time to really think much, was just running to catch my flight. i still had on what i went to bed wearing. for some reason the metal detectors went off because of my wrist restraints and bondage belt(the kind with the big O-rings).

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

soil sample.

US customs nabbed that of me as i declared it. they were rather cool about it.

coming back into the UK as a UK passport holder, the customs stop was a joke tbh

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Genius. Dogs are always sniffing crotches
    i figured I looked pretty wholesome so they wouldnt be pulling out the dogs

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

i got pulled aside by the folks at Dulles one afternoon... they checked my backpack for explosive residue and it came up hot... so i got the complete bag search, special room, FBI etc treatment... they didn't talk to me for 30 minutes just went through all my shit... then my check baggage showed up... they proceed to go through this and find body armor, a pistol, night vision goggles etc... finally agent fuck head asks me why i have the stuff and why my carry-on had residue on it...

i explained the residue was probably from the IED that ripped through my HUMVEE 3 weeks before and turned my buddy driving the vehicle into a bloody dead mess... the equipment was military issue and i was on my way somewhere and here is my ID and my military orders....

looks of embarrassment all the way around the room.... they asked my why i didn't say anything before... i asked for their supervisors number and my cellphone... it was more fun for me and my boss in the long run... they never checked the codes on my airline ticket or the airline manifest notes... the airline knew who i was and what i was carrying...

Ali Stardust's Avatar Member

i was coming back from vegas last year and me and my friend just bought a bunch of cheap lighters as souvenirs and when they searched us they took all the lighters except for the ones that were in these little wooden cases they never found the weed in the cigarette box

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

OMG, lighters in a blender. thanks Discovery channel.

Chiqadee's Avatar Member

I flew into Chicago with a friend and forgot I had weed in my carry on. Luckily I was with my friend who is an Islander and people automatically assume she is hispanic or middle eastern. So they waved me through while searching through EVERYTHING of hers.
    I can't take her anywhere.

I have same problem. I just look like that but after checking my passport they let me trough.

Chiqadee's Avatar Member

Not my friend. They look at everything and then search everything. When we went through customs in Guam, I didn't even have ID and they let me through with just a birth certificate. But they had her take ALL her bags and take everything out and search it one peice of clothing at a time. It's ridiculous.

+ Reply to Thread