+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How would you prepare for an ice age?

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Default Re: How would you prepare for an ice age?

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    If anyone attacks, you can just take a dog-do snow cone and rub it in their eyes. Then meet up later at St. Alfonso's Pancake Breakfast.
    yay frank zappa

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Haha, I'd convert my motorcycle into a snowmobile (my bitch neighbor has skis) and roll over (glide over?) to Jonny's camp dressed in my Lobo getup. The white and black makeup is good camouflage.

And damn Ajax, I didn't realize you were that interested in getting inside me.

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

The biggest problem with a situation like that, is the ash cloud blocks out the sun. So not only does that make the world cold, it cuts off all the sun for plants. So most plants die. Then shortly after that, most animals die. So yes, we could hunt and eat things for a while. But those animals won't be replaced, because they can't breed, because there is nothing for them to eat... I think some species might survive. Most likely the ones that already survive without much light or heat. I suppose you could keep a hydroponic nursery going with generators. Using fuel to generate light for the food. So as long as your gas and generator lasted enough years for the ash cloud to settle, then you'd be ok. But yeah, most people would be pretty much fucked. And very few people would be really prepared to set up the kind of compound required to last through something like that.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

of course with all the scientists couldn't they sort of figure out when it might and if it's soon then dig a channel to the ocean and dump lot's of seawater in, cool all the magma and see what sort of damage something like that can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeathKnight
    The biggest problem with a situation like that, is the ash cloud blocks out the sun. So not only does that make the world cold, it cuts off all the sun for plants. So most plants die. Then shortly after that, most animals die. So yes, we could hunt and eat things for a while. But those animals won't be replaced, because they can't breed, because there is nothing for them to eat... I think some species might survive. Most likely the ones that already survive without much light or heat. I suppose you could keep a hydroponic nursery going with generators. Using fuel to generate light for the food. So as long as your gas and generator lasted enough years for the ash cloud to settle, then you'd be ok. But yeah, most people would be pretty much fucked. And very few people would be really prepared to set up the kind of compound required to last through something like that.
    One word dude: Twinkees

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    one word: anthropophagy

need meat to stay strong...

The obvious. I'm a quick learner, decent improviser and favor a DIY approach today, while society stands in all of its ironic glory. Most people in our western social climate get any instinct for self-reliance talked out of them as superfluous while mommy government and daddy employer are there to tell you what to want and get it done for you, respectively, in exchange for a homogenous kind of labour you can comfortably narrow yourself down to. If only 90% of humanity is going to kick the bucket, the ability to use a given object for a purpose not suggested on the packaging alone will qualify you to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    JI's word wins this one.

YOU'RE the anthrophag!

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I would stock up on weapons and go on that murder spree I've always wanted to embark on.

Then probably turn cannibal.

Extempus's Avatar Member

The impending Ice Age was predicted way back in the 1970's... and no one did much of anything to prepare for such an eventuality then. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to prepare for one now either... the best thing to have would be an underground bunker with an internal water supply and a hydroponic garden. For power... well, solar wouldn't work. Maybe wind power...

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

The reality for most ice ages, is that the equator is fine...

So the simplest answer is that as soon as something happens that would cause an ice age, like an eruption at Yellowstone, is to head south into Mexico...

If it's some kind of thing that is so bad that all crops fail all over the world, then you will be in a lot deeper shit than most people will be able to handle. Unless you have a totally self-sufficient hydroponic farm, you are pretty much screwed...

I recently rewatched John Carpenter's "The Thing", I know what to do, Flame Throwers, Dynamite, and nobody gets out of my sight!!!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

ever hear of vegetarians? last time I checked they somehow managed to stay alive. We are talking survival here. yeah, maybe you might not be able to lift weights, and join a White Snake cover band and whatever else it is that "strong" guys do... but all you really need to do is eat, sleep and fuck.

twinkies actually make a pretty good survival food, in addition to lasting forever, they are full of fat, carbs and calories. not much for vitamins though, you would have to worry about scurvy and iron deficiency and such.

vegetarians are the preferred meat of cannibals...

actually thriving as a true vegetarian takes knowledge and access to the right foods to get enough protein... since the grocery stores will be gone it will be smarter to eat meat....

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

well I was operating on the assumption that the only foodstuffs available were shrinkwrapped and loaded with preservatives, and the majority of the humans are dripping radioactive zombies.

now that I think about it, isn't that pretty much how it is already?

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    well I was operating on the assumption that the only foodstuffs available were shrinkwrapped and loaded with preservatives, and the majority of the humans are dripping radioactive zombies.

now that I think about it, isn't that pretty much how it is already?

point taken

+ Reply to Thread