+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you do to keep or get fit now?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What do you do to keep or get fit now?

A lot of people switch up their exercise and nutrition and general activities from time to time. What are you doing in 2009 to keep or get fit?

theUnclean's Avatar former corporate whore

Default Re: What do you do to keep or get fit now?

I recently stopped smoking, about a year ago stopped drinking Guinness everyday. For the past few months, I have been paying very close attention to what I eat and when. I have also been jogging (T/Th) and doing a calisthenic workout (M/W/F) in the mornings; less then 1hr each.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

No time for it these days, and it shows.

I just pretty much avoid any fizzy drink, don't eat too much sweet, cook from scratch, etc... I also do mixed martial arts and Muay Thai and ride bike everywhere.

I have a fear of ending up in hospital home or something like that. So I've always try to stay in shape so I'll be used to get out and move around and do things.

I tend to skip white flour products, alcohol, high fructose corn syrup, cow dairy, and all soda. I don't eat fast food. I've cut down on juice, potato products, and most natural sugar products. I've switched to drinking my iced lattes with unsweetened low fat organic soy. I prefer sparkling water, but I switched to still partly because I read it could deter weight loss.

Apparently, I also need to do something physical. This working on a computer all the time and rarely carrying anything heavier than a camera kinda sucks. Just never got back in shape after breaking my ankle and can't figure out what sort of program to start. Worked out with a trainer at Gold's for a while and I might as well have spent the money on bottle service in a nightclub and at least have enjoyed it for all the good it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I tend to skip white flour products, alcohol, high fructose corn syrup, cow dairy, and all soda. I don't eat fast food. I've cut down on juice, potato products, and most natural sugar products. I've switched to drinking my iced lattes with unsweetened low fat organic soy. I prefer sparkling water, but I switched to still partly because I read it could deter weight loss.

Apparently, I also need to do something physical. This working on a computer all the time and rarely carrying anything heavier than a camera kinda sucks. Just never got back in shape after breaking my ankle and can't figure out what sort of program to start. Worked out with a trainer at Gold's for a while and I might as well have spent the money on bottle service in a nightclub and at least have enjoyed it for all the good it did.
    Why cut down on juice? Yeah I'm rather ignorant about eating well, but, if it is so healthy to eat fruit then why is it so bad to drink juice?

As for activity, just get out there and try new things. Join a rock climbing club, go on hike, dancing class, or whatever. You may find something you enjoy. It's not necessary to go to gym and sweat a gallon to be in shape. You can just have some hobby that will help you get in shape.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

I don't focus on eating particularly healthy, jogging every day, or counting carbs and calories. Mostly, I just do sit-ups, push-ups and various home exercises between walking everywhere that I go (due to lack of vehicle more than health-consciousness). Oh yeah... I also recommend a heavy if not daily regiment of great sex.

You tell me if it's working or not.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I've been juicing a lot lately. other than that effing nothing. I don't want to lose wieght, just be more healthy, which seems impossible since I tend to get cravings for biscuits and gravy. I wouldn't mind being a little stronger or healthier though..... as far as my body goes, I'm probably the heaviest I've ever been in my life at 130 lbs., but I have also never looked better naked either, so I'm not really concerned.

Damn! Aza, you're hot as hell!!! Wish I could use you as a model for some photoshoot.

Voltaire, you should come to Chico, Biscuit and gravy is next to nonexistence around here. If you do find one, the gravy is beyond awful and the biscuit is hard as rock and cold.

I have ben to chico, I had beers at the towne lounge. real biscuits and gravy don't exist on the west coast.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

*beams with pride for her sexy sexy Aza* Isn't he just Yummy?

I've been running up and down the stairs, drinking lots of water, sleeping comfortably, walking everywhere and high intensity workouts testing the sound proofing of the basement with Aza. *grins*

The odd thing is I have been eating mostly carbs and sweets since I left FL and I've ended up in better shape than I've ever been before. Strange, huh?

~K

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

I've been trying to do a set of various crunches and push ups every other day, but I forget sometimes. Dancing is the best thing I've found for me personally to actually motivate me to move my ass, so I'm working on doing that for thirty minutes a day 3-4 days/week.

Lift weights. Nothing special, I just do it.

Get out and get some sun, and air everyday. Walking. Going for long walks.

Exericise my kung fu grip. I work out like this everyday, but twice a week or more I get together with others to spar. Yay injuriies.

I watch what I eat. Lean protein, green veggies, some berries. Tea or water. I drink club soda, or seltzer because it's cheaper than bottled water. I"m not sure it's healthy, but there's no corn syrup or calories in it. I take herbs too.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I have ben to chico, I had beers at the towne lounge. real biscuits and gravy don't exist on the west coast.
    We got 'em in Florida. Come by sometime and I'll whip you up a fresh batch. :wink:wink:

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Envy
    Damn! Aza, you're hot as hell!!! Wish I could use you as a model for some photoshoot.
    Flattery will get you just about anywhere... especially to late bloomers like myself who aren't as used to being complimented on our looks. I'll always be glad to pose for pictures! I'll have to let you know when K and I are down in Cali.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

because im broke im actually drinking soda and eating candy to keep me from being miserable (and eating fast food from the 99 cent Value Menus) but when I'm not like this, I always just go on the treadmill for about 15 min. three times a week ( i haven't in a few months) but it helps, but also I like to go hiking and walkign down the beaches near me looking for dead animals so I guess I just do a lot of walking always to keep me staying "fit"

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

It's going to Gold's Gym 2-3 times a week. I also try to walk a lot, usually I will walk about 3-4 km which is about halfway to my place. Got a pedometer for my birthday so I put it in my pocket and try to get in a good walk several times a week.

I really should eat more, as in at least 5-6 times a day, but usually I eat pretty healthy. Lots of fish and veggies. Kinda eating too much apple pie, my wife made me one for Valentines so I'll have a slice with breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Walk at least for a half an hour daily

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

back to cardio vascular on my off days. skipping and the usual 3 nights a week kalaripayattu

Why cut down on juice? Yeah I'm rather ignorant about eating well, but, if it is so healthy to eat fruit then why is it so bad to drink juice?

As for activity, just get out there and try new things. Join a rock climbing club, go on hike, dancing class, or whatever. You may find something you enjoy. It's not necessary to go to gym and sweat a gallon to be in shape. You can just have some hobby that will help you get in shape.

It's supposedly better to eat the fruit in its original form rather than as juice. Fruit has fiber juice does not. Turning fruit into juice may destroy some valuable enzymes (debatable). It is easier to drink a bazillion calories of juice than it is to eat a bazillion calories of fruit. Large amounts of sweet juices also spike blood sugar and are followed by a blood sugar drop which causes cravings, same as any sweet.

I have put on too much weight this year, so it is time to get back to the routine. This routine worked for me, but YMMV:

Diet -

1) Breakfast - Eat it.
    2) Eat something every 2 hours. Light veggies are the best, but something to keep the metabolism going all day.
    3) No Soda in front of the TV or Computer - Cola is a bad one for me. i love the damn things like others love cigarettes, especially the Mexican bottled cokes that use real sugar. To cut back I decided not to drink it when I am sitting in front of the computer or TV. This means i am not denying my self causing me to bing whenever I break habit, but I only drink it when I am active, so I drink a lot less.
    4) Eat Fast Food when you actually want Fast Food - To be honest, I get the craving from time to time, but most of the time I eat junk food cause it is easy. This is a hard habit to work, but it goes a long way. don't say you will never have a pizza or a burger, just save it for when it is what you want, not what is on the way home.
    5) Eat a Vegetable with Every Meal - You can still eat a buttered steak and mash potatoes, but eat some broccoli first. Every meal. even just a little.

Excercise -

1) Get back in Capoeira - OK, this one is not for everyone, but for me it works on a few levels. It is a brutal workout, and a lot of fun in a low stress atmosphere. For some walking, running, bicycling, working a heavy bag or wailing on drums works. I think a big part of the success of the wii fit is that it is a stress relieving form of exercise. For a lot of people gyms increase stress. Stress is bad and hinders weight loss according to some studies I am too lazy to verify. That is why i stress exercise in a way you enjoy.
    2) Any Exercise is better than none - People see the 20 minutes a day, 40 minutes a day whatever but you want to know a secret my doctor told me? 3 minutes a day is way better than 0 minutes a day. Try 3 minutes 3 times a day and that is even better. Wake up, do 5 push ups. It seems like nothing but it does add up. Don't get hung up on doing enough, just do a little more. Also, the more you do the more you will want to do.
    3) Make Exercise Convenient - I keep a light dumbell by my computer and a yoga ball in front of my TV. When i am watching TV or spending to much time on the computer I use them. just a little, but it is not distracting enough to really stop either activity.
    4) Make a Routine No Matter How Small - Routine is a big key. What you do one day (good or bad) is not as important as what you do every day.

In 2006 i lost close to 30 lbs doing this, but then 2007 stressed me out and it came back with a vengeance. I am slowly rebuilding the routine with a vengeance, so we will see how it goes.

I chase my little 22 mo old monster around which is an exercise regime all on it's own. Ya know when you say "Ooooo I can't wait till he/she can walk".

Yes you can.

It's funny though - I'm trying to work out again and whenever I do push-ups, he imitates me by doing vertical push-ups where he jumps up and down in a squat position.

West coast does have biscuit and gravy... Las Vegas have them :-D

Aza, sure that sound great

Amelia, damn I didnt know that... I guess all juice I drank have been a waste lol

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

I'm lazy and enjoy my fatness.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    I'm lazy and enjoy my fatness.
    At least if we ever end up lost together, I wont have to worry about outrunning a bear

West coast does have biscuit and gravy... Las Vegas have them :-D
    and they are a disgusting knock off of real southern biscuits. trust me on this one, you have not had real biscuits until you've had them in the south. people take biscuits very seriously here. they are served with most meals here. I actually hated biscuits until I moved here and ate real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    We got 'em in Florida. Come by sometime and I'll whip you up a fresh batch. :wink:wink:
    i'll bring the blackeye peas and turnip greens..... shit, I'm making myself hungry. I looooooove southern food. I need to stop eating so much of it.

Amy Villainous's Avatar Junior Member

I recently joined a 24 hour fitness with a bunch of my friends. We go 4-5 days a week to get on the elliptical and do some light weight lifting. Having a big group of people with you every time makes it much easier to go and not feel awkward rather than going by myself.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

ugh. well i'm *trying* to eat less in general, eat less sweets, and cut back on my coffee. the smoking i have to cut back for financial reasons, so that doesn't count ;P
    when it isn't raining, i'm doing yoga.
    i'm trying to do ballet exercises and stretch daily to get my flexibility back.
    i really really need to do more. it seems like the moment i hit 30, my body decided to rebel against me, so i can't lose weight like i used to >.< so i'm *trying* to develop an exercise habit (like the one i used to have) so i can get back into some semblance of being in shape.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    2) Any Exercise is better than none - People see the 20 minutes a day, 40 minutes a day whatever but you want to know a secret my doctor told me? 3 minutes a day is way better than 0 minutes a day. Try 3 minutes 3 times a day and that is even better. Wake up, do 5 push ups. It seems like nothing but it does add up. Don't get hung up on doing enough, just do a little more. Also, the more you do the more you will want to do.
    3) Make Exercise Convenient - I keep a light dumbell by my computer and a yoga ball in front of my TV. When i am watching TV or spending to much time on the computer I use them. just a little, but it is not distracting enough to really stop either activity.
    4) Make a Routine No Matter How Small - Routine is a big key. What you do one day (good or bad) is not as important as what you do every day.

totally true. i mean i figure if i do 5 mins of yoga, that's better than none at all. and it absolutely *has* to be convenient and routine because i'm just too damn lazy for anything else. if i push myself too hard, which i tend to do, i give up really quickly. so my biggest hurdle is to not be so demanding with myself and progress at a pace that doesn't stress me out.

Sex every day is a great way to stay healthy. Especially if your into ****-play, that takes a lot of effort.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Not really doing anything different. I usually walk everywhere I go (not so much in winter), I drink water all day, I eat right most of the time, and I'm always dancing around somewhere. I don't exercise, don't diet, and I don't really gain weight. I've been between 130 and135 for probably the last 10 years.

DPietz's Avatar Member

I joined Weight-Watchers online. (company is paying for it)
    So far it's just an expensive, glorified calorie counter.

Got my girls a wagon for Christmas. As soon as the weather warms up I'm going to pull them through the nearby cemetery "rocky style"

You know what's awesome? Stationary recumbent bikes. We have one at my house, and I use it every other day-ish for a half an hour or so. It's shaped in such a way that you're leaning back and can easily have something else in your hands, so I kill two birds in one stone by catching up on my pile o' novels while burning some calories.

Clockwork Jello's Avatar Droog

I have to get back in the swing of things again I let myself relax on the fitness front for a little while but I have to get back on it.

First off no sodas. At all. Ever. I occasionally drink Juice but mainly just stick to water all day. When I eat a meal, its one meat two vegetables and water or juice. I stick to things like grilled fish or grilled chicken for meats. After work I goto the Gym/Track at least 3 nights a week. I will usually run the track for roughly an hour or hit the weights. I have up no particular schedule for which I do yet. It is really just whichever I feel like doing at the time. I throw in situps, pushups, and planks just randomly whenever I'm sitting around the room. Especially if my playlist hits Combichrist. Nothing like a little Get Your Body Beat to get myself going. Hell, with that going I'll hit the pushups, situps, planks, and whatever hell else my mind can think up till it hurts too much to even move.

That's pretty much my fitness plan.

and now that the home-pad is much more stable then it's been in years with having to move to Maryland and back, I'm gonna pick up one of these on Friday:

Nos's Avatar Senior Member

I cut out soda and I snack on yogart when I want ice cream .... just those 2 things made me loose about 5 pounds. It's getting warmer so I can start walking again too ..... I was up to about 6 miles a day before winter hit :P

Iggyisdead's Avatar boo-urns

I work out an hour a day five days a week. I do weight training as well as cardio. My diet is pretty healthy for the most part, but I do allow myself a piece of home made cake or cinnamon roll every night, which is probably not doing my body any favors.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Lately I've been pretty stressed and when I'm stressed I eat more. Hopefully all this stress will wash away soon and I can go back to my regiment of eating less and riding my bike alot more. I've been digusted lately with my weight.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

At least if we ever end up lost together, I wont have to worry about outrunning a bear
    I still have to pass a PT test and the last time I did one I ran the 2 miles in 13 minutes flat.

Honestly, I stay in shape because I work all the time, I get bored easily at work, so if I don't have any work, I go to another shop and see if they need help. Between walking around the flightline and climbing up and down helicopters, contorting myself into whatever unusual or uncomfortabe position I need to be in to do whatever I'm doing, it helps. Plus once summer comes along it'll be hot as fuck again.

That, and sometimes I go to the gym and lift weights or I'll run, as long as it's not too cold and I can run on the roads. I can't stand treadmills.

+ Reply to Thread