+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For a million dollars, would you leave your native country forever?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default For a million dollars, would you leave your native country forever?

Bank heist, tax liability, pay-off from irate father of unsuitable spouse, etc., for a million dollars, would you leave your native country forever?

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: For a million dollars, would you leave your native country forever?

Fuck yes.

In concept, yes.

In practise though, I can't imagine that I'd care enough for any promise that had to be bought from me to not return if I ended up feeling like it.

Aza's Avatar Extradimensional Penguin
    My home is everywhere and nowhere. I am the quintessential hobo.

Leaving this country forever would some days be payment enough... but I can't say for certain until the situation actually presents itself. I might find myself something of a patriot in that event... though I'd probably still take the mil and head for France.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

a million dollars really isn't that much money, so no.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

yeah, five or ten for sure........one mill, I dunno

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Yes. I could live like a king for the rest of my life (which probably wouldn't be that long anyway) in Thailand or Filipines, hell I could even be pretty comfortable in South Korea if I got a little job I enjoyed doing for something to do and some money.

If I missed my friends enough, I could fly them out.

OH YES! I'd LOVE TO!!! Hell you can even walk up to me out of blue and tell me I have only a hour to pack and get my ass to airport and I'd do it without hesitate.

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

where in the world can i go and still keep my ar-15?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    ditto

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, it depends on where I had to go. if I had to live in north korea, I wouldn't be too happy about it.

if i could choose, fuck yeah. i'd do it for free if I had a place to stay, i'd love to go to another country.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Not for 1 no. 20 Big minimum. No taxes. Secure bank with a govt guarantee ie FDIC in my new country. Open immigration for my entire family at free will.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yeah, it depends on where I had to go. if I had to live in north korea, I wouldn't be too happy about it.
    What if you'll get a billion of dollars and Kim Jong will be your neighbor and will share all of his toys with you?

Ok, sold.

who are all these people that are too good for a million dollars? no offensive, but you guys are not worth a million dollars.

Ok, sold.

who are all these people that are too good for a million dollars? no offensive, but you guys are not worth a million dollars.
    Lol that would be a interesting experience. I wonder how Jong would feel about Blue Blood and all"evil stuff" you're into. Plus you'll be on CIA watch list for rest of your life. But I'd probably do same.

As for those who think they're too good for a million dollars. I think they just dont know what to do if they were forced to leave their native country.

Yes you cannot live on million dollars in most case, however if you're smart, you can get richer with million of dollars or at least make enough to settle for life.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

It's not a matter of what we think we're "worth". You have to factor in current US finances (real property, liquid, trusts etc) and how that would play out upon emigrating. I bear responsibility for a lot in my family now. I can't think of it in terms of just me. I have to do the best I can by a lot of people ranging in age from 1 - 93 years of age.

OEC

I love where I am, but i could easily not work for twenty years on a million dollar. I mean, that is without any effort. If I put some work into it I could retire comfortably now with that much or work for a while and retire awesomely.

I could adjust to a new life.

I think I would.

I would totally hold out for more money though. A cool million is okay... but 7-8 million would be better.

I'd go live somewhere else, or several somewhere elses... get a part time job somewhere, live modestly.

Every once in a while I'd just leave.

yeah.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Forever forever? I don't think so. I quite like it here. Offer me 10 mil at least and we'll talk.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Ok, sold.

it's not that we're too good for a million dollars, it just sounds like a real low ball offer nowadays.

give me more money and a ticket to thailand and i'll be happy as a clam.

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

Can I take my SO's with me? If they can't come, no amount of money is getting me out of here. If they can, we are going straight to Europe.

Sounds good to me.

Nope - wouldn't get you very far in this day and age.

*If I could pick the location and bring the people I wanted with me.

It is depending where you move too. I'd take a million USD and then go move to somewhere like mexico. Although I'd probably settle with a few thousand...it really wouldn't take much for me to leave here, lol.

yes I am; in fact, I'm worth a whole lot more. 1M is not that much. it may as well be a hundred bucks these days. its chump change. besides, I like living here, and I have no interest in living in another country. visiting, sure, but not relocating.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

$1mill US and a plane ticket to Praha. Lemme get my coat ....

~K

prague is super expensive now since they joined the EU. they use the euro now.

Anna Evans's Avatar Senior Member

I'm also working with the idea that I'll keep doing what I do once I get to said other country. If it's a million dollars and I can't model anymore, then I would turn it down; I'm only 22, I can't live on that forever.

yes I am; in fact, I'm worth a whole lot more. 1M is not that much. it may as well be a hundred bucks these days. its chump change. besides, I like living here, and I have no interest in living in another country. visiting, sure, but not relocating.
    spare some change?

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

prague is super expensive now since they joined the EU. they use the euro now.

yeah they do NOW. They didn't when I was supposed to be moving there...

~K

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Absofuckin' lutely. Hell for a one way ticket to Australia and a bag of chips I'd do it.

Bedlamite

Yup. In an instant.

No way. Actually, I don't think there's any amount of money I'd accept.

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    No way. Actually, I don't think there's any amount of money I'd accept.
    I was wondering if I was the only one here that would refuse to give up my citizenship in this country.

spare some change?
    haha. laugh all you want, but thinking big has never done me wrong.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

If I could get a job in Japan then yes

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Not if it meant that I couldn't visit my family in the states. Although, I wouldn't hate living in another country.

I'm move to Amsterdam or somewhere in Portugal.

+ Reply to Thread